Zenbook U500 Announced: 15.6" HD IPS, GT650M, Quad-Core i7...

Discussion in 'Asus' started by kanuk, Aug 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HerrKaputt

HerrKaputt Elite Notebook User

Reputations:
    I think there is an even more likely explanation.

Most laptop manufacturers have at least two suppliers for every part. For example, my E6400 could have LG or Samsung screens, WD or Seagate hard drives, etc. It's perfectly plausible that ASUS has two suppliers for the fans, and one of those suppliers makes noisier fans.

2. mrmumbels

mrmumbels Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Lets compare fans then. Mine are quiet as hell and I'm 35 n just had a hearing test a few months ago with no loss.

Really why would you not have sent your laptop right back if it was that loud?

3. mrmumbels

mrmumbels Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Are there any moderators that can combine the 2 ux51vz threads? Or can we just close one?

4. Terpen Tijn

Terpen Tijn Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    As far as we know, though, all the fans are of a specific Delta type that was identified here some time ago. There is also no other report of component variation in the U500's that have been sold to date (e.g., the 256GB models all have the Sandisk SSDs). Of course, we'd have certainty only when we'd actually identify our own fans individually... have to admit I'm not ready to open my laptop for that though.

What I find surprising is that a minority of people here is furiously arguing that there is no issue with noise. Surely you would not have a problem if the laptop magically became 100% silent (and not overheat)? So why not just support this effort aimed at improving something that can only make the laptop better? Heck, you wouldn't even have to flash the BIOS if you somehow preferred to have a noisy laptop...

5. Jorram

Jorram Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Is WinFlash the safest method to replace the BIOS with the 204 version? Is it possible to go back afterwards? It is still unofficial, after all

6. bamaster

bamaster Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    You're assuming that the majority of owners are unhappy. People don't buy one and then join forums to tell everyone how happy they are with it. People mostly come to Notebookreviews to complain about hardware/software problems and look for solutions. This thread is no exception. But it is not reflective of customer satisfaction.

I'm 41 with pretty good hearing and it's still not an issue for me. That said, I've emailed ASUS about the fans and exaggerated about the noise levels just to help out. I'm a techie and am always looking for improvements, which is why the first thing I did was upgrade to 12 GB RAM. Did it help? Probably nothing that I could detect but I like to max out performance.

I used WinFlash. Don't know if you can revert back to a previous version.

7. sockfish

sockfish Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    No, the fan noise isn't terrible, it really, really isn't. It's just that this computer is in the premium category and satisfies in most other areas (unless you have QC issues) but part of being a premium product is having a well designed cooling system. In my tests, the fan noise is 4 dB louder than my ambient.

So yes, the fan noise is not terrible, but it's there.

8. Terpen Tijn

Terpen Tijn Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    No, I did not make that assumption. I said "a minority of people here" is apparently totally fine with the noise. I do believe the majority of owners, and ex-owners (lol) here is not so happy with it. Just wanted to clear that up.

About flashing the BIOS: I think it is safest to use the 'onboard' BIOS Easyflash tool, with the BIOS update on a USB stick. WinFlash may work fine, but at least in the past it has let people down; there are some warnings about that here on the forum.

9. jem0612

jem0612 Newbie

Reputations:
    78% sRGB ? Is this really so? Then it would be impossible to work with photo editing. Should it be 78% aRGB ??? The gamut could not be so bad as 78% sRGB on a IPS. Or could it?

10. Megol

Megol Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I'm in my 30ies, am sensitive to noise and have excellent hearing up to 20kHz. My machine only have a noticeable sound in very silent environments and only irritating at night. The idle sound is approximately as loud as a whisper.
    Someone that compares the noise of this computer to an airplane is either delirious or (as I have previously assumed) have a faulty machine.

I would return it ASAP. Not even when gaming could the noise of my machine cause ringing ears.

Edit: as a semi-audiophile I use open to semi-open headphones depending on use case and have the volume approximately the same level as normal speech (in order to preserve my hearing) and isn't disturbed by the idle noise. When gaming the volume is increased somewhat but the fan noise is still not at an disturbing level.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.