Zenbook U500 Announced: 15.6" HD IPS, GT650M, Quad-Core i7...

Discussion in 'Asus' started by kanuk, Aug 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrmumbels

mrmumbels Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Anyone noticing their keyboard backlights going on and off randomly after the bios update? It almost seems like it has something to do with my wireless mouse.

2. amac1000

amac1000 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Same happened with me. For some reason updating the BIOS turns the auto-brightness function back on. Just turn if off and you'll be fine.

On a slightly more worrying note, since updating the BIOS I can no longer access it! I push F2 at launch but it just continues to boot to windows. Anyone have this happen to them and if so, how do I fix it?

3. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Are you using the UEFI boot function? If so you need to restart through the menu in windows telling it you want access to the bios.

4. sockfish

sockfish Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I was able to still access my bios after 204.

I also saw my keyboard backlight going on and off too, though it has happened . I have a bluetooth Razer Orochi.

5. Quindor

Quindor Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have not noticed any backlight issues. Automatically comes on when dark and gets brighter en less bright when needed. Turns off automatically when there is enough light in the room. Screen brightness also responds correctly.

Please look up a post I made about this. Default the Intel driver and the laptop work against each other instead of with each other. I also explained how to fix this and get correctly functioning and logical automatic brightness and keyboard lighting.

For me at least, behavior did not change since 204. I also have a bluetooth mouse connected.

6. amac1000

amac1000 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Edit: Nvm, being stupid!

7. bamaster

bamaster Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I also am on my first laptop and have never thought the fans were an issue. I also did the 204 update (without any problems) and think it's reduced fan speed and the noise is reduced, too. It's pretty much silent for me now. I can't imagine anyone saying that their ears are ringing... absolute nonsense. If it's that loud, you have a faulty machine, fer crissakes!

I'm pleased with this laptop and continue to believe it's one of the only competitors to the Macbook Pro Retina, which this laptop replaced for me.

Or click WIndows-X keys from desktop, select Run. Enter msinfo32 and Ok. You;ll get to your System Information where you can see your BIOS Version/Date.

8. mrmumbels

mrmumbels Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Indeed, mine is quiet as hell and I believe more quiet with the new bios. I also feel like startup is faster but never timed it before. I have a 5 second startup from full shutdown.

It also lasted over 5 hours yesterday with screen brightness almost full.

This laptop is just awesome! No complaints whatsoever. The fans do stay on but honestly this is probably better for me since its always on my lap.

9. sockfish

sockfish Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yes there are like 10 different areas that have brightness control. Very, very annoying. I'll search for your post in a bit. There's the button on the keyboard FN -A to disable, then in the intel settings, and then power settings.

Right now the only thing I can't seem to figure out how to turn off is the dimming on dark webpages. When I click this for example:

http://l1.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/j...ttp://mit.zenfs.com/645/2012/12/life_book.jpg

It dims my screen.

10. Terpen Tijn

Terpen Tijn Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hearing thresholds vary a lot from person to person. If you are, say, 50+ years of age, your hearing will be substantially worse than that of younger adults. This is a much more likely explanation for the variance in the reports here.

In any case, my fans aren't rattling/broken, and my ears were ringing after some hours with the 203 BIOS, I'm not making that up. I'll see how I experience the 204 version after spending extended time on it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.