Zenbook U500 Announced: 15.6" HD IPS, GT650M, Quad-Core i7...

Discussion in 'Asus' started by kanuk, Aug 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cornz

cornz Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'm outta here, shipped my UX51VZ back to amazon and bought the MBP Retina. Gl in the future with this notebook - really hope for you guys it will be fixed as I see no chance that someone is able to enjoy this airplane notebook otherwise.

2. oneforwall

oneforwall Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    At this point, one might start to appreciate why Apple engineers had to spend their time and effort to have specially designed fans for their beast of a machine. They call it 'reducing tonal impact'. This just proves that this a real problem and requires ingenuity - from a hardware perspective - on the part of the laptop vendors.

BIOS updates sadly might not be the solution. No vendor would outright release a BIOS version which could risk delicate parts of the laptop getting toasted just to alleviate a 'non-issue' like fan noise.

3. Megol

Megol Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I'm enjoying my computer now and have been enjoying it since it was delivered. Only in a silent room (like at night) is the fan noise obvious so no, it's not even close to airplane sounds. It's even acceptable when gaming with a significantly lower noise at load than my previous Vaio SA.

4. Terpen Tijn

Terpen Tijn Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Ok, I just applied the 204 BIOS.

It does reduce the noise. I took measurements with the Sound Meter app that I used before when I first got the notebook. I held the phone ~10 cm above the keyboard and the laptop was in battery mode. I measured the noise at the Windows (7) desktop, idling some minutes after boot. Recordings were fairly stable.

203 BIOS: 35 dB (min 34 max 36)

204 BIOS: 30-31 dB (min 29 max 32)

That is a substantial improvement. The fans remain clearly audible, as before, however, so I also would like to see further improvements still.

5. melingmeier

melingmeier Newbie

Reputations:
    The same here. About 5dB less. One step in the right direction :thumbsup:

6. sockfish

sockfish Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Ok I went and flashed to the 204 bios. Definitely an improvement, but still can do better.

Here are my results:

Ambient with computer on sleep: 36 dB

203 (close) - 40 dB
    203 (keyboard) - 45 dB

204 (close) - 39 dB
    204 (keyboard) - 42 dB

Close meaning that the phone was about 6 inches away from the computer:

[​IMG]

7. DvP

DvP Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hi guys,

I also want to install the new bios for some tests but where do you get this from? I only found the wrong one on the Asus page which can't be installed on my machine? Did you install one uploaded by another user? So...this one?

8. Terpen Tijn

Terpen Tijn Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yes, the one shared by Quindor. Asus TSD apparently forgot about me and the BIOS update they promised. Another feather on their cap. :mad:

Note: For users not on Windows 8 / UEFI anymore, note that you have to re-disable Secure Boot Control, and then re-enable CSM.

9. DvP

DvP Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I installed the bios also and the noise is definitely lower. Hope it is possible to turn off the fan completely by software now but I would not expect that. Maybe the speed-ups are also more silent now which happen every now and then if you deactivate the fan manually then. Sadly Asus Support also forgot about me. I hope you guys who are in direct touch with them make it clear to them that there is NO NEED to run the fans if the CPU core temps stay below ~55°C....it is just useless!

10. Enix

Enix Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Í wish i get update too! I have a bios-version A (UX51VZA.203) and i got an email today from Asus. They don't know when the bios-update is comming for A-bios. !? They have bios-updates for the other one, but they don't update the A-bios!? They have even older bios on their webpages than i have on this computer - this is from 13th. september. Makes me wonder the quality of the customer service - they do answer quickly, but they need also to do something than only give answers!

However, I love this laptop. The screen is sharp, althought there is some lightleaking on the bottom and on the left, but it isn't visible in normal use - only against dark/black screen it is abit annoying.

Fan noise isn't acceptable anyway for a laptop on this price, imho! For 1799 euros i expect to get some quality not a wind motor. I had to disable gpu to get the noise lower abit and i wonder why gpu has fan spinning even when the gpu isn't used. I still wonder why fans are spinning althought the temperature is lower than 50 °C. (CPU thermometer 41,41,41,41 and SpeedFan 48, 46,48,48 - not sure do those programs work properly at all.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.