Zenbook U500 Announced: 15.6" HD IPS, GT650M, Quad-Core i7...

Discussion in 'Asus' started by kanuk, Aug 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StevenSteel

StevenSteel Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
  2. ipkryss

ipkryss Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
  3. DvP

DvP Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    So nobody can install the new bios right now!? That would be "a bit" sad. Honestly I do not expect that they turn off the fan in idle completely which would be no problem at all as we have proven here already. Love my 100% silent UX51. Would be great if Asus would enable this option fully for us.

4. xcito

xcito Newbie

Reputations:
    Can someone upload the new bios?

5. StevenSteel

Reputations:
    Unfortunately no news and also not exciting. I already tried it and got some kind of error (I forgot).

Well and the Asus guy told me if there is any error message, my U500 is up-to-date.

6. Terpen Tijn

Terpen Tijn Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    StevenSteel: You're confusing things. We received an actual BIOS update: 204 version. Until now everyone has version 203.

Quindor: Do NOT force that update! Asus' 203 (older) BIOS also came in two flavors: UX51VZA and UX51VZ. You need to check inside your own BIOS (press F12 inside) to see which one you need. I'm sure Asus would not provide two different files if you could just use them interchangeably. There is a good chance this 204 BIOS is really for the "other" type, not our UX51VZA's.

I will look into uploading the BIOS file I got somewhere, but I may only have time for this in the evening today. I wanted to upload it here, but it is too large, apparently.

7. Quindor

Quindor Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Check, warning received! Thank you!

8. StevenSteel

Reputations:
    I am glad to hear that. :) So indeed exciting news :)

9. Quindor

Quindor Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    So, bad news for today. Asus mailed me back and pointed me to an "How to" Manual of how to flash my bios. Well Asus, I have known how to do this for about 20 years now, thank you.

And if they would have either read my e-mail or even just looked at my screenshot, the problem would have been obvious.... So I wrote them back, to just tell me if they don't know either and to report back to main office. Don't give me stupid mnual's when the problem is obvious.... *sigh*

But, since it's now 18:29 over here in the Netherlands, Dutch offices are closed and on top of that it's "pakjesavond" a national event called 'Sinterklaas' which means businesses close early too.

Too bad, but most likely this story will continue tomorrow morning and not tonight.

@Terpen Tijn I checked in my bios with the F12 like you said (Didn't know about that one!) and it indeed clearly states that I have the A version, just like the tool mentions. So not going to risk it! Tomorrow's another day. And who knows, maybe someone else on here that also created a support call to get this fixed did receive the correct version!

10. Terpen Tijn

Terpen Tijn Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    @Quindor: Typical response, sadly.

In any case, mine produced the same mismatch message, and I informed Asus TSD too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.