Zenbook U500 Announced: 15.6" HD IPS, GT650M, Quad-Core i7...

Discussion in 'Asus' started by kanuk, Aug 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DvP

DvP Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Tell Asus ;-)

2. oneforwall

oneforwall Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    So let's see, from the handful of reviews and inputs from the owners, so far the following problems have been encountered:

- Too loud fan
    - BSOD when the graphics (GT650M) card is in use
    - Flickering of screen
    - Bass distortion heard in one of the speakers at high volume
    - Flickering of screen connected via mini-VGA
    - Uneven rubber legs
    - Ill-fitted lower frame

Except the fan problem, all other problems have been reported only once or twice.
    So one could just hope that ASUS listens to guys like DvP and fixes the fan problem soon.

On the other hand, the quality control process for such an expensive equipment does not really seem like a priority for ASUS.

3. Terpen Tijn

Terpen Tijn Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Asus service rep just told me that the noise is 'normal' and that I should accept it. FFS...

4. oneforwall

oneforwall Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    [​IMG]

5. Quindor

Quindor Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Yeah, sadly that's how it goes. My normal method for such dumb answers is to just keep making calls with the same problem. Try to talk to a manager or something else and hammer them on social media. ;) At some point, someone will decree this has to stop because it's starting to hurt sales (They probably don't read this forum...) and will demand a fix and allow technical people to look at the problem, which should't be too hard to fix at all.

So for now, start an offensive and hammer them about it.... Facebook, twitter, suppor calls, you name it.

6. jamin824

jamin824 Newbie

Reputations:
    Can the RAM be upgraded to 16GB?

7. DrMcNinja

DrMcNinja Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    No. Only 12gb. That should not make a difference for you in the next 5 years, though.

8. xismo

xismo Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    All depends on what you use your computer for.... A lot of people (me included) have use for far more than 16gb of ram now and its been that way for a while.

9. alfling

alfling Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    In Italy it won't be available until late January, so I'm still looking around for aternatives. I've seen Asus Zenbook UX52VS. What do you guys think about it, compared to the UX51? Please consider the following:
    - I need a full voltage CPU, so I'm evaluating the 3610QM version
    - I don't want Raid 0: I'd disable it in UX51. In the UX52 I'd probably replace the HDD with a 256GB Samsung 830 SSD.
    - I'd like to make some occasional gaming (I'm not a hardcore gamer, mostly League of Legends and Dota 2)

I have a poor knowledge about GPUs: what does the amount of VRAM influence? Given that I plan to keep this laptop for 5 years (hoping it wouldn't become obsolete too early, especially in regards to games, which increase their minimal requirements every 6 months nowadays) should I be worried by the presence of a 1 GB GT645 (GDDR5) instead of a 2GB GT650 (GDDR5)?

Thank you for any contribution

10. LPstandard

LPstandard Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey everyone,

First I wanted to know about that fan issue - is it really that bad? And if so how bad? Seems like it might be one of those things that could be easily blown out of proportion but i'd probably be irritated too if I spent that much and it had a LOW TECH issue like that.

Second, can someone summarize the current fix for the fan issue as it exists i.e. what to download, where to get it, how to set it, etc.? Also what has been tried and what worked/failed?

Finally, I wanted to suggest that in addition to using social media to get Asus' attention people should write some reviews on the retail sites like Newegg, Amazon...and they should probably be negative. Nothing gets a company's attention faster or better than hitting them where it hurts - the wallett$$. Just sayin, if you really want your fix.....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.