Zenbook Pro UX550VE

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Theguywhobea, Apr 11, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Theguywhobea

Theguywhobea Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    So, Newegg has a pretty sick deal on an Open Box model of this machine that I'm really tempeted to pickup for only $1283.

However, I've heard cooling is bad, and it can't maintain stock clocks, has anyone seen this first hand? I don't mind having to repaste, and I assume the 7700HQ will undervolt as well as the 6700HQ.

Also, is the 7700HQ that much of a jump in performance? I was kind of underwhelmed by the 6700HQ's performance in my Razer Blade 14.

2. BeastOG

BeastOG Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    If you're upgrading from skylake, I wouldn't say it's worth it. Apart from all the problems that laptop has, it's not really a big enough jump to justify it, unless you have a bunch of problems with what you currently have.

3. virtuousbook

virtuousbook Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Check out my post here: http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...50-owners-lounge.806254/page-13#post-10724732 I play destiny 2 60FPS medium-medium-high-ish tweaked on the UX550VE, you will have to use a cooling back for sustained load on the GPU. After about 30-60 minutes thermal throttling kicks in but a cooling pad basically eliminates that. That being said, if you are wanting a pure gaming GPU, go to the ROG models or stick with your Razer, you could run Destiny 2 with at least 60FPS+ on a $20 xeon 3450 or something as long as you had a good GPU! Look on youtube for a good video of that!

4. Support.2@XOTIC PC

Support.2@XOTIC PC Company Representative

Reputations:
    I would definitely recommend a repaste to help keep things a lot cooler in that system. The jump between the 6700HQ and the 7700HQ wasn't as big as I initially thought it was going to be. Good deal on the system. But I don't think you will see a HUGE performance increase.

Jolga77 likes this.
  5. virtuousbook

virtuousbook Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Yeah if you are talking strictly gaming, CPU doesn't have much affect on gaming.