Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Discussion in 'Games, Home Theater, TV, and Movies' started by Mitlov, Mar 6, 2017.

1. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Reputations:
    I'm seriously considering buying a Nintendo Switch just for this game, and I'm starting this thread for discussion for people getting or planning to get the game. With an open-world complete-in-any-order structure that's even more flexible than the original gold-cased NES game, precise button controls (no more swinging the wiimote to attack!), and an art style that's been compared to Studio Ghibli, it looks awesome.

The reception from the games journalists has been overwhelming. Metacritic currently lists the average professional review score at 98%. It's gotten perfect scores from Polygon, GamesRadar, Gamespot, IGN, Time Magazine (my go-to for video game reviews, LOL), and a heapload of other reviewers.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/switch/the-legend-of-zelda-breath-of-the-wild/critic-reviews

2. BlackSabs

BlackSabs Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    [​IMG]
    Everyone's Switch after Zelda.

All kidding aside it looks fun.

hmscott likes this.
  3. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Reputations:
    It would be nice if I could also play games like Mass Effect: Andromeda on the Switch. It'd make the purchase easier to justify. As is, you also need a gaming PC, Xbox, or PS to play most modern games, and that sucks.

That said, if a game is good enough, I'll own a console just for it. Like four-player Mario Kart Wii with my wife and kids.

4. ZaZ

ZaZ Super Model Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Good luck finding one. I picked up Zelda for the Wii U cause I read on the internet(must be true then, right) that the image quality difference between the Wii U and Switch versions isn't all that great. My TV I have my Wii U hooked to is only 720p anyways.

hmscott likes this.
  5. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I found it a bit disappointing that the Switch doesn't have up-scaling for at least 1080p in the dock - IDT it would have been prohibitively expensive.

But, now that you mention your 720p TV matches the Wii U I 'm now thinking it's a market positioning thing known by Nintendo - assuming a significant % of their customers are already set up for 720p native, it now that makes more sense to me to limit the output of the dock to 720p

Kinda weird though... to a non Wii U owner.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2017
  6. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Reputations:
    I didn't mean buy one like literally today ;) My birthday is in May, and the Switch version of Mario Kart 8 comes out at the end of April, so a birthday gift to myself is likely if I decide to pull the trigger.

hmscott likes this.
  7. ZaZ

ZaZ Super Model Super Moderator

Reputations:
    It wasn't always so. Up until a couple years ago, I didn't get the Wii U right away, I had my Wii hooked to my 26" Panasonic tube HDTV that I got the deal of the century on in 2003 as they were clearancing them. I had planned to keep it forever as it had one HDMI hook up(one was all I needed) and Mario, Zelda, etc. were truly meant to be played on a tube TV, but when I got the Wii U and hooked it to the TV, it crunched the picture and I could never find a solution. I ended up giving the TV away and buying a LCD, which looks nice, but I wonder how the Switch would look hooked to the old TV. Change is inevitable I guess.

hmscott likes this.
  8. mal.ente

mal.ente Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    My thoughts on the Switch and the new Zelda. In the end more text than i like but maybe interesting.

Pre-ordered the Switch and Zelda BotW and i am playing since launch every now and then. I got the Wii U that i am now selling on ebay. I love the concept of the Switch from the start and now using it feels great. Nintendo's ads are an exaggeration, but not that wrong!

The Game itself simply 10/10. The console is 8/10 (but with much potential to get 9/10) for me. It is mobile and really fast for its size. BotW on this tiny device... Awesome! Fast and simple OS, but many features are missing currently. No Videostreaming (Netflix,...), no voice chat (will be done probably over nintendo smartphone app), no cloud savegames (can be helpful is some scenarios).

Took the Switch to a board game evening with friends and they loved trying Zelda. With some short coop or local multiplayer games it can be an entertaining time killer on the go. You always have two controllers (joy cons) with you.

Other Switch specific example, you are playing BotW and your better half likes to watch his/her favourite show. Cut the discussion and simply take the switch and play somewhere else or on the couch with headphones. Its fluently continuing the game on the go. No waiting, no pausing.

Controllers: You can play very comfortable, use the joy cons seperatly in every hand. Have your arms where you like it. Over the head, whatever you can think of. Can be very relaxing!
    I got the pro controller in addition. For testing and to have another controller. So far not sure if it is worth the money.

Graphic and Power:
    Playing on TV is better, graphic of Breath of the Wild on 58" 4k TV is awesome. BotW on Switch dock is 900p with Anti-Aliasing (720p on Switch mobile). The art style, landscape, details in the environment or villages, characters, and many more. I am forgetting the pure hardware limitations of the Switch completely. You are totally in the game. And Nintendo is more on gameplay than numbers. Not that is a bad thing to have the newest and greatest. I got a 4k HDR ready TV and games, films and tv shows take advantage of it (still alot of upscaling and the good panel, but you know what i mean). But the game itself should be good and pure graphic power is more like an nice extra for me.
    Horizon Zero Dawn. Great gameplay and story and also breathtaking graphic power. There are games like this, but my focus is on gameplay in general.

Is the new Zelda reason enough to get a switch? On your own! For me it is (BotW is that good for me), but i also like nintendo games in general. For the Switch they got more big publishers and also indie developers in the boat.

My only tip for starting with Breath of the Wild: Discover the game on your own. There wont be much explanation of the many possibilities in the game. But trying something and seeing it working is such a good feeling. Its an adventure game!

Dock:
    The Dock is just a mounting with a tiny board for converting. Could probably be done with a USB-C cable to HDMI. Why not include an upscaler, more power and fan to get more for TV gaming? I dont know, maybe the switching to mobile won't be working so good.

Potential:
    Maybe i am so positive about the switch because it is still new and all i can do with for now feels great.

Nintendo still has alot to do to make the console complete. Adding features and of course fulfill the announcements to deliver way more games than on Wii and Wii U before. Triple A titel will still be on PC, XBOX One and PS4. PS4 and XBOX One are very similar despite the exclusives, but the Switch is something new and really has potential. I believe in it and enjoy a breath of the wild from my couch 90% of the time. :D

Edit: I love the fact to have games on these cardridges, so i cannot say anything regarding capacity and sd-card-geraffel.

Edit 2: I just remember reading that Beyond Good & Evil 2 will be on the Switch, maybe exclusive!! If it is almost as good as Part 1, then this worth mentioning!

Last edited: Mar 10, 2017
    hmscott likes this.