ZBook Studio x360 G5 Questions

Discussion in 'HP' started by gamefoo21, Mar 22, 2019.

1. Kyle

Kyle JVC SZ2000 Dual-Driver Headphones

Reputations:
    How does the UHD UWVA compare with the UHD Dreamcolor display?
    I think the Dreamcolor is way brighter (I do not like superbright screens).

2. Sentential

Sentential Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Oh sorry should have mentioned that Dreamcolor only works when the dGPU is enabled on the internal panel.

Unfortunately not. Does it have to be a 2-in-one or new for that matter? Used prices right now are screaming good deals (searched ebay "Zbook Dreamcolor) That's how I ultimately bought mine was through ebay.

Zbook Studio G5 (Dreamcolor)
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-Zbook-S...581788?hash=item3b4817ad9c:g:bAoAAOSwAJReuZgC

Zbook 15 G6 (Dreamcolor)
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-ZBook-1...816490&hash=item2d08c82c7d:g:NHEAAOSwswdek-ls

Zbook x360 G5 (Dreamcolor)
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-Zbook-S...619739?hash=item46ae5691db:g:nRQAAOSw9vlcyKX~

Zbook x360 G5 (Dreamcolor)
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-ZBook-S...553521?hash=item444a0404f1:g:M-sAAOSwVjVevBu0

I'm sure it's a standard LG IGZO panel like most Macbooks. Dreamcolor is bright....blindingly bright. Bright to the point where it at 0% brightness is as bright as most notebooks at full.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2020
    Kyle likes this.
  3. Kyle

Reputations:
    Thanks, this is helpful.

It has to be new (getting it through work), and I would prefer it to be a 2 in 1.
    It appears I won't like the dreamcolor panel. I have a precision which apparently has a screen rated at 330 nits, and I usually use it close to 0% brightness.

What is the difference between a Zbook Studio G5 and a ZBook 15? G5?

4. Sentential

Reputations:
    Dreamcolor is rated at 600nit so twice as bright as your current laptop. The screen is fantastic, color correct but in my opinion way way too bright. Never used a laptop almost exclusively at 0% but this one I did. Full brightness makes me want to squint when looking at it.

Zbook Studios are thin and lights, only the x2 has LTE and it has 2 dimm slots (64GB max).

Full Zbooks (15/17) are complete desktop replacements. Full discrete cards including AMD/RTX, Smartcard support, NFC support, everything you'd expect on a desktop PC including 4 dimms (2 under keyboard and 2 from access panel) 128GB max.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2020
    Kyle likes this.
  5. Kyle

Reputations:
    For writing using a pen on the 360, do I need a GPU?
    In general, if I'm not doing video editing/gaming, do I need a discrete GPU on the 360?
    (For a 4k screen).

6. Sentential

Reputations:
    Since you do not want Dreamcolor that's up to you, DC required a discrete GPU. I'd say for the small added cost it's worth having just for CUDA acceleration.

7. Kyle

Reputations:
    How would CUDA acceleration benefit someone like me who does not game?
    In what program would I see a benefit?

8. Sentential

Reputations:
    Well GPUs in effect are very large general purpose multi-core processors that do well at number crunching a variety of tasks. nVidia has a page dedicated to all supported CUDA applications. Not sure what you'd use but it should be easy to look up:

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/gpu-accelerated-applications/

Kyle likes this.
  9. T16

T16 Newbie

Reputations:
    Guys I am having tremendous issues with the click pad on this x360 G5. For all of my life using laptops I have used a single finger scroll, using the right hand edge of the touchpad.
    With this x360G5 NOTHING I can do will change it to single finger scrolling from this GOD AWFUL two finger scrolling which makes me feel like I am about to get RSI from the gesture.

Am I chasing something which does not exist? Did they remove this feature from the Clickpads vs the older touchpads I am used to?

I have tried older drivers, installing SMBus drivers, PS2 synaptics drivers, you name it, nothing works. With the older drivers I can get the synaptics app to appear but none of the settings apply to the device.

It might sound dramatic, but if there is no single finger scrolling, then this is a deal-breaker for this device!

10. hamedcom

hamedcom Newbie

Reputations:
    Sorry ,
    But i have hp zbook g5 x360 dream color but battery drain very fast , can i know
    what is the maximum time to work with battery ?