zBook G2 Owners - Alternatives to "Z Turbo Drive"?

Discussion in 'HP Business Class Notebooks' started by timofcourse, Jan 13, 2015.

1. hopey

hopey Newbie

Reputations:
    Sata protocol is not provided by the M.2 connector in the G2's. So any ssd, keyword "PCIe" missing is not supported. You can use the msata on the standard sata hard drive or optical drive position with an adapter, but not at the M.2 connector.

2. chris48

chris48 Newbie

Reputations:
    Sorry, for the delayed answer. I already had everything deactivated I didn't need but this works for stuff like serial and parellel ports, only. There is no option for anything PCIe. Which means it is not user-configurable. There is a slight change that a BIOS update fixes it, but I don't believe it.
    I don't play around with end-user hardware much, anymore. But I don't think it is common to do that. I think my old desktop-pc has an option like that for standard-PCIe ports. It is an overclocker-model, though.

The BIOS guide you're looking for is here: http://h20195.www2.hp.com/V2/GetPDF.aspx/4AA5-2078ENW.pdf
    Unfortunately it is a general guide for all current products. I am afraid there's no guide dedicated to the zBook.

@hopey: You don't need any tape to fix it. The 2280 modules fit perfectly under the latch. I just put some tape over it, because the latch rubs a bit on the flash-chip. I guess it is not needed but it doesn't hurt. As mentioned earlier my card is single-sided. With the thicker double-sided modules I would actually recommend that.

3. hopey

hopey Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks for the information - then I'll have a go with the single sided module.

@Xaos
    Did you also deaktivate the wwan interface:
    Feature Function Default setting, if applicable Reboot required
    • Embedded WWAN device Enables integrated WWAN device (not available on the HP Z440, Z640, and Z840) Enabled Yes

As I saw, this is not equipped at some notebook and has also thins kind of interface.

4. Mohamed Elkordy

Mohamed Elkordy Newbie

Reputations:
    I totally agree with your concern. I have the Zbook 17 G2 and don't like the idea of shoving in the 2280 into the 2260 space. I thought of the extender board with a long flex cable option and it seems to be a very good idea especially that there is space available above the 2.5'' SATA drives (when installing SSD). However I am waiting for the right extender board to become available. The board you have sent supports only B key drives (which is the older sandisk A110) and does not support most of the new faster m.2 drives which are M key.

After searching for a while I think the M2-M2280-FLEX by Adex at the following link will work however I am not sure. I hope that someone in USA orders it and try it before I can make an international order for the board and have it not working after that !

http://www.adexelec.com/m2.htm

5. hopey

hopey Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi Mohamed,
    I also found this - but had also no interest in ordering overseas. But after you posted the link I had a second look at it and found this International Distributors page:
    http://www.adexelec.com/distrib.htm
    ...maybe it is helpful for youl ;)

6. Xaos

Xaos Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello chris48 and hopey,
    @chris48: Thanks for trying and posting the link to BIOS-manual. Very usefull for me.
    @chris48+hopey: Yesturday I've studied the technical white-paper of zBook17-G2 and the intel_chipset_QM87-inet-Page and manuals a few hours. + I used the program "HWinfo64_portable" http://www.hwinfo.com/download.php
    to find out, which devices are on PCIe-2.0 bus. Target was to find out, which devices we would have to disable to get the SSD on 4 lanes instead of 2 lanes. Here are the results:
    => The HP's technical white-paper of zBook17-G2 definitely talkes about, that the SSD is possible to be linked with 4 lanes.
    => Only the HP's zTurboDrive-SSD (Sandisk size 2260) just can use PCIe2.0 x2 lanes, because the SSD don't support more lanes.
    => I think that the following devices are linked to the QM87-chipset via PCIe_2.0:
    ....1) m.2-SSD-Slot (2 lanes or maybe also 4 lanes, if the chipset don't uses the lane 3+4 for othe devices)
    ....2) m.2-WLAN-Module (1 lane / according to bios-manual of HP-Notebooks => deactivatable) // Bluetoth is via USB connected
    ...3) m.2-WWAN-module = SIM-card-module (1 lane / according to bios-manual of HP-Notebooks => deactivatable)
    ...4) SD-Card-Reader (1 lane / according to bios-manual of HP-Notebooks => deactivatable)
    ...5) PCIexpress-Card (according to bios-manual of HP-Notebooks => 1 or 2 lanes in Bios configurable)
    .................................................................==> This would be 7 of possible 8 PCIe2.0-lanes of the QM87-chipset.
    Maybe the list is not exactely correct, but if we could deaktivate some devices, then the QM87-chipset could use the free lanes for the 3rd and 4th lane for SSD.

So if it would be possible to deactivate e.g. WWAN-Module an set PC-Card to 1 PCIe-lane (instead 2 lanes) => then there are 2 more lanes possible for SSD ! The Chip QM87 should cofigure the SSD to 4 lanes automatically.

EDIT of text on 10.09.2015!

Last edited: Sep 10, 2015
  7. Vapochilled

Vapochilled Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi,

I ended-up ordering a Msata to 2.5 SATA3 drive. Its perfect and I'm achieving 530/530 Mbs performance after 8k ;)

8. aztec506

aztec506 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I thought you were discussing pcie cards that people are using to attach m2 drives to & using them on pcie slots on motherboards in desktop machines. My Zbook g2 wouldn't accommodate those. Just a misunderstanding of the use of the word "cards". To me a m2 drive is a drive and not a card. Whatever, no biggie - my apology if I misunderstood you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

9. tommyxv

tommyxv Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I returned my 17 G2. I have a CD-Rom hard drive caddy that I didn't even use. Come with case. $20 shipped
    20150923_000100.jpg

10. Mohamed Elkordy

Mohamed Elkordy Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello
    It seems that the M2-M2280-FLEX by Adex is still new and not listed on the distributors websites. Besides, there is no Add to Cart button :) !