zBook G2 Owners - Alternatives to "Z Turbo Drive"?

Discussion in 'HP Business Class Notebooks' started by timofcourse, Jan 13, 2015.

1. Xaos

Xaos Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    You'll need no tape. To clamp is also enough. The hook of the metal-cover-plate will hold the SSD down. But it's hard to mount/put the SSD inside the slot. Look the pic in post #40:
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...-to-z-turbo-drive.769103/page-4#post-10037999

2. hopey

hopey Newbie

Reputations:
  3. Xaos

Xaos Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I guess in post 41 is meant: If you take the metale plate off, the hook moves a little bit (and rubs/crops a little bit on the SSD). Thats why in post41 he cutted the hook off and fixed the SSD with tape. I couldn't test it on my own, because I get my SSD tomorrow. But I' pretty sure that there's no tape needed. You've just to be very carefull, when you tke the meatlplate off which means when you move the unlocker of metal-plate to the side...
    Read the posts about 40-50 - othe users also didn't use tape! ...and... a pic says more than 1000 words => see pic link in my last post = link in post40. So I guess no poroblem for you - also without adapter...

Last edited: Sep 3, 2015
  4. Xaos

Xaos Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    @chris48: Did you read my last post for you?

5. Xaos

Xaos Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    BIOS/UEFI manual:
    By the way: Does anybody know, where to get an manual for the Bios/UEFI-Bios for zBook15-G2 ?
    I mean a manual, where all the configuration-possibilites are exactely described!
    I've bought the zBook and there where no kind of manual in the package. Also in download-area of HP I couldn't find something. :-(

6. hopey

hopey Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks a lot for your help.
    Then I'm gonna buy a one side equipped 2280 m.2 ssd.

Last information missing is the two or four lane switchability. Could you please inform us when you figured out if your guessing is right? This would influence my decision about the read/write speeds a lot. ;)

7. gablerm67

gablerm67 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi

Just in case you are interested:
    This are the performance values of the SM951 500GB AHCI in my ZBook 15 G2 (´Windows7 64Bit):

AS SSD Benchmark 1.8.5608.42992

Read: Write:
    Seq 753,43 MB/s 606,27 MB/s
    4K 33,13 MB/s 74,21 MB/s
    4K-64Thrd 417,95 MB/s 190,73 MB/s
    Accesstime 0,058 ms 0,054 ms
    Score: 526 326

8. Vapochilled

Vapochilled Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi guys,

I've just did serious sh*t
    The company ordered a Zbook G2. Therefore, because I was gonna get it for free, I decided to put some of my personal budget and oder a Msata 512 Evo 850 (the new one) instead of the M.2 version.
    I also ordered a Thunderbolt adaptor for external Video card gaming (my 970)

The laptop got delayed and the date to change the msata is gone. Ive read somewhere that a guy was using msata 512 Samsung but I misread that it was Zbook - not a Zbook G2
    So, what should I do?

Sell it and get a normal ssd or one of those 2280?
    Buy an adapter from M-2 to msata ? Or sata to msata? Is there something available?

9. Vapochilled

Vapochilled Newbie

Reputations:
  10. Xaos

Xaos Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello gablerm67, (and chris48)
    Thanks!! - Very interesting for me. When I'll have my SM951-AHCI-SSD (tomorrow via post), I'll have exactely the same configuration. (But first I've to install the complete PC on SSD...)
    Did you read my post 69?
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...-to-z-turbo-drive.769103/page-7#post-10082368
    Small chance: If you would be able to deactivate unused PCIe2.0-pheripherials, then the QM87-Chip
    http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/chipsets/performance-chipsets/mobile-chipset-qm87.html
    does have more free PCIe2.0-lanes for SM951-SSD. I mean 4 lanes instead of 2 lanes for SSD-Slot. At the moment you're useing PCIe2.0 x2lanes with that speed you've posted.
    Have a look in your Bios/UEFI (or maybe Windows?) if there is a possibility. e.g. deactivate the SIM-m.2-Slot (I guess it uses 1 PCIe2.0-lane) + anothe PCIe2.0-slot/peripherial, if possible.
    If yes, maybe it's possible to get the SM951-AHCI to the double speed. (But also maybe it's not possible, because the configuration of the lanes is fixed by HP). But if we believe intel (see link up) => the QM87 Chip is configrable! See my post 69.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2015