zBook G2 Owners - Alternatives to "Z Turbo Drive"?

Discussion in 'HP Business Class Notebooks' started by timofcourse, Jan 13, 2015.

1. bazz80

bazz80 Newbie

Reputations:
  2. jschoebs

jschoebs Newbie

Reputations:
    bazz80, yes I have ordered that from Amazon and it does function for me in a ZBook 15G2 that I have been using.

bazz80 likes this.
  3. MM679

MM679 Newbie

Reputations:
    jschoebs, did you have to change any BIOS settings for the Sandisk A110 M.2 SSD to be detected and operable in your ZBook 15 G2 or did it work with the default BIOS settings?

4. Willbg22

Willbg22 Newbie

Reputations:
    When I click on the Amazon link just above link it says SATA in the product title? I'm confused.

5. jschoebs

jschoebs Newbie

Reputations:
    No custom changes to the BIOS just works. I have 2 more sitting in a box as my company will be ordering more ZBook G2 this year.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

6. MM679

MM679 Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks for your reply, jschoebs.
    That's good news. So it seems that the BIOS switch for enabling/disabling the M.2 PCIe slot is set to 'enabled' in the BIOS factory settings:
    There is another thing I was wondering:

Since you have ordered your Sandisk A110 SSD from an Amazon Marketplace dealer and not directly from HP, I was wondering if the "Check warranty status" link on this HP product website http://h20565.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/public/psi/home/?sp4ts.oid=7843118 will show you the correct warranty status. My understanding is that HP offers an 1 year limited warranty on the ZTurbo drive, see http://www8.hp.com/us/en/mpc/oas/product-detail.html?oid=7633917

Would you give it a try and enter the serial number of yours on this HP website to see if it works? You would just have to click on the "Check warranty status" link and it will then ask for the "product serial number".

I wonder how HP would determine the warranty start date in cases where they did not sell the item themselves ...

7. bazz80

bazz80 Newbie

Reputations:
    Awesome thanks! Ordering mine right now :)

8. jschoebs

jschoebs Newbie

Reputations:
    I got "This product number is not associated with the serial number provided." When I go to check the warranty status.

9. MM679

MM679 Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks for trying out, jschoebs!
    Could well be that this "Check warranty status" feature on the HP website does not work in general for this product, even if you buy directly from HP. Guess that one has to prove the purchase date with the invoice / receipt to HP customer support in case of a defect during warranty period.

10. jsgeo

jsgeo Newbie

Reputations:
    Seems I did same mistake with M.2 format, but SATA interface Samsung EVO M.2 500GB. However this is 80mm drive and it fits, just right, under the end black plastic pin (no need to screw it). So other M.2 80mm PCIe drives would possibly work - as later stated in this thread, some resellers are offering already.
    https://www.zonerama.com/jsyrovat/Photo/778697/30259658