zBook G2 Owners - Alternatives to "Z Turbo Drive"?

Discussion in 'HP Business Class Notebooks' started by timofcourse, Jan 13, 2015.

1. RajoX

RajoX Newbie

Reputations:

Hello, I have got the same M2 SSD as you, but I cannot get my 17 G2 to boot from it.
    There is a difference though in what I am doing - I cloned my old 2,5' SSD to M2, and use the old SSD as starting point for the boot process. Let me try to describe my steps, someone might realize where the problem is:

1. I use Acronis True Image to clone 2.5' SSD to the new M2 SSD.
    2. Reboot with USB drive (I use Macrium PE USB recovery for that), and copy the three files from your zip to EFI partition of old SSD in the right place (EFI\Shell directory)
    3. I run bcdboot command in order to associate Windows folder on the new SSD and EFI partition on the same SSD
    4. Reboot, go to BIOS, edit Customized Boot
    5. Reboot again

It should work now, but it's not:
    a. I can see from the echo that NVMe drivers are found, the NVMe disk is found, booting starts, but after a while the PC restarts

I tried also to use another HDD as EFI starting point, made EFI, put EFI\Shel\ files in there, but when attempting customized boot I get a blue windows with error message that winload.efi is missing or corrupt.

Are there any thought on this situation.
    Many thanks in advance.

2. RajoX

RajoX Newbie

Reputations:
    I managed.... So for archival purposes, if someone else gets along cloning a disk to an M.2 PCIe on ZBOOK 15/17 G2:
    1. Clone your old disk to the new M.2 SSD (I used Macrium Reflect)
    2. copy three files mentioned above to EFI partition of the old disk (EFI/Shell directory). You can do it from Command Prompt run as Administrator
    3. DO NOT RUN bcdboot
    4. Reboot, go to BIOS, edit Customized Boot (EFI\Shell\Shell_Full.efi), Save changes
    Voila!

You can safely swap the steps 1 and 2

Keep in mind that you should never format your old disk entirely, its EFI partition must be kept safe.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2020