zBook G2 Owners - Alternatives to "Z Turbo Drive"?

Discussion in 'HP Business Class Notebooks' started by timofcourse, Jan 13, 2015.

1. scpres

scpres Notebook Consultant

Reputations:

The WD pcie NVMe works without any option boot. just install windows as normal and the zbook reads it as usual

2. scpres

scpres Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    hello

can you please upload the files needed to put on the usb/sd card as the links are alll dead now? please thanks

Hello Mate,

I have the same SSD installed. Is there a chance you can send me the drivers *.efi as the links are all dead. I will appreciate your reply thanks again

Hello

I hope that you cans still receive this. The links on your post are all dead. can you please send it to meplease..

3. Barbadadost

Barbadadost Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    So its basicly plug -instal windows and go??
    Normal stuffs?

I just recently bought zbook17 g2 with i7 4910mq and k5100m with 16 gb what seems to be crappy 800mhz samsung RAM and noisy 500 gb HDD so i just replace hdd hith my hp 8560w ssd back up drivers with Double Drivers and i was ready to go...

What you guys think if i take out Samsung PM951 NVMe MZVLV256, 256 GB from my Razer Blade 14 and try to boot?

Cheers

If any good soul can make my life easier and specify which m.2 will work- boot normal without hacks i ll be greatfull coz my head will explode with all mxm ,dreamcolor 1 2 3 m.twoos and all things i am trying .
    to comprehend
    And ti be worse i am on middle of atlantic ocean right now hehehehe
    Cheers

Last edited: Mar 1, 2020
    Narwa likes this.
  4. andex

andex Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    According to hp zbook 15 g2 page, the speed is not that much higher than SATA III SSD.

Interface
    • ATA-8, PCIe 2.0
    Performance
    • Maximum Sequential Read: 730 MB/s
    • Maximum Sequential Write: 620 MB/s
    Is it worth it to upgrade just for 100-200 Mbps upgrade? Or is there a speed bump when using PCIe 3.0 or 3.1 nvme SSDs?

Last edited: Mar 23, 2020
  5. andex

Reputations:
    I purchased SDAPMUW-512G 512GB PC SN520 PCIe Gen3 x2 NVMe from newegg. I was able to connect is without booting from it. However, the guide on page 14 didn't help me to boot from it even though my produce is slightly different. The problem with the guide is that there are so many files indicated but the links are dead or proper reference is not made.
    What I tried is to clone the nvme from OS disk, change it GPT but it doesn't boot.
    I tried to install a fresh windows installation but windows say controllers are not installed and not recognized in bios.

Did anyone make it work to boot from an nvme?

6. andex

Reputations:
    Finally, I was able to boot from my nvme for HP Zbook 15u G2. Thank you Urr and Lubomir for the guide! I had to return the WD nvme to newegg as they sent me the ssd without original manufacturer box and I got Sabrent 512GB Rocket NVMe PCIe M.2 2242. It is over 30$ cheaper and as fast. My PC boots in 10 seconds! Also programs open much faster. Below is the benchmark.
    ssd_Sabrnet_nvme_bootdir_7.0.PNG

The links shared by Lubomir are dead so I got the files from other sources and uploaded them here just in case the source I shared below are also not dead.

Sources for NvmExpressDxe.efi and Shell_Full.efi:
    https://github.com/tianocore/edk2-archive/blob/master/EdkShellBinPkg/FullShell/X64/Shell_Full.efi
    https://www.win-raid.com/t3557f13-Small-NvmExpressDxe-driver.html - you just need NvmExpressDxe_Small.efi but rename it to NvmExpressDxe.efi so that the code by Urr works.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 21, 2020
  7. Mastermind5200

Mastermind5200 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Might be worth for people here to look at the 2013/2014 Macbook Pro's/Air's, they have basically the same issue as this where NVME drives don't work properly due to incorrect bootrom support which was fixed on the 2015

8. andex

Reputations:
    Bios mod is not something that is easy and safe.

9. Mastermind5200

Mastermind5200 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I never mentioned anything about a Bios Mod.

10. andex

Reputations:
    OK got you

Last edited: May 1, 2020