zBook G2 Owners - Alternatives to "Z Turbo Drive"?

Discussion in 'HP Business Class Notebooks' started by timofcourse, Jan 13, 2015.

1. silverchairbg

silverchairbg Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I'm in Eastern Europe, but can get it shipped to England or Germany and then forward the package. The issue is I don't find this drive for sale, the one you linked is the one I currently have Sandisk 256 GB, but it gets too small for my needs (I already have 2 x 7200 rpm additional drives for data)

2. vavan_bous

vavan_bous Newbie

Reputations:
    HP has released an update for zbook 15 g2 on 14 may. It says "- Fixes an issue where the customized boot option does not function properly. -" did someone tried it? maybe nvme boot is fixed

3. silverchairbg

Reputations:
    @vavan_bous Good question, but knowing HP, I doubt it .. rarely vendors add missing functionality to old products .. it is just against commercial reasoning.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2019
  4. silverchairbg

Reputations:
  5. gmikol07

gmikol07 Newbie

Reputations:
    The ssd nvme WD 500GB M.2 2280 pci-e NVMe SSD Blue sn500 will be correct for Zbook 17 G2? mabe someone have it?

6. luisxd

luisxd Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Just in case anyone needs it, here is technical white paper from the HP Zbook 15 G2, which seems HP vanished from their website. PDF

7. silverchairbg

Reputations:
    Managed to find and purchase a Brand New Samsung SM951 512GB MZHPV512HDGL i.e. the AHCI version and not NVMe. It required modification to the closing lid as somebody mentioned before, but besides that, it works as advertised without any hacks. The fascinating thing is, although bigger (in both size and capacity), it runs much cooler that the original 250 Sandisk, almost 20 C degrees cooler when running SSD benchmark. I hope that translates to longer life span.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2019
  8. Xaos

Xaos Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Issue: Boot from NVMe_m.2 @zBookG2 // NVMe-SSD with BootROM=OptionROM
    Hello community,
    I have read all pages of this thread (many days) and I think I have understood everything. But one issue wasn't discussed until now: BootROM=OptionROM.
    => In several SSD-help forums/guides (also in other languagesthan engl.) I have read much about the FAQ, that some SSDs does have and other's does not have an BootROM=OptionROM. That should influence the boot-behavior very much.
    e.g. I have read, that the following m.2_NVMe-SSDs might have that BootROM=OptionROM "feature/Hardware-part":
    + m.2_NVMe_Samsung_950pro does have BootROM=OptionROM
    + m.2_NVMe_Intel_750-series does have BootROM=OptionROM
    + m.2_NVME_Intel_Octane does have BootROM=OptionROM

- the newer m.2_NVMe_Samsung_960pro+evo & m.2_NVMe_Samsung_970pro+evo DOES NOT have an BootROM=OptionROM.
    => Does anybody know something about that issue -especially regarding "Boot from NVMe-SSD with zBookG2", or did have experience because of own tests ??

=> I am esspcially interessted, if it is possible to buy any m.2_NVMe-SSD (with BootROM=OptionROM ?), that is readable by zBookG2-UEFI-Bios. (So that the work-around with NVMe-driver for UEFI-Bios @ AHCI-HDD is not necesarry)
    So my imagination/understnding is, that that memory-part (OptionROM) is readable by AHCI-protokoll = readable by zBookG2-Bios and consists of the content, which some pages before (User Urr,..) did use at an EFI-Boot-Partition on another "normal-NOT-NVMe-drive", which only did have the use, to load the NVMe driver.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2020
  9. Lubomir Hozak

Lubomir Hozak Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi Xaos,
    I had no idea that there were some NVME SSDs with OptionROM onboard.
    In my case it was Samsung SSD nvme mzvpv256hdgl-00000 which probably didn't have it, it at least resisted to be directly booted from and I had to use the SATA SSD for the EFI partition.

I don't have the G2 anymore and neither of the SSDs with the optionROM, so I can't help you with that.
    I am not sure from where you are, but maybe you could buy it online and send it back if it doesn't work the way you wanted.

have fun!

LH

10. scpres

scpres Notebook Consultant

Reputations:

I have the same ssd bought in ebay with only 3 hours of use. SSD in windows 10 with adapter works great and heres the benchmark..

I did not do anything i just install thw windows on it but make sure your in ahci and uefi mode.

I will put 2x 2TB HDD and see if RAID works

Attached Files: