zBook G2 Owners - Alternatives to "Z Turbo Drive"?

Discussion in 'HP Business Class Notebooks' started by timofcourse, Jan 13, 2015.

1. 3ACADA

3ACADA Newbie

Reputations:
    On Thunderbolt You mean dGPU? Mine use x4 for AMD FirePro from SouthBridge.

Has someone tried to find extra pcie lines in ZBook?
    Wanna connect -second- Sandisk a110 to my Zbook 15u - it has enough free space for it.
    Do not need wwan or cardreader, but It seems that they uses x1 pcie lines, so, as i've figured out, x2 device will not work with x1 lane.
    Maybe there are pcie-sata converters on the market, to connect a110 to native 2.5 sata?
    I've also seen USB adapters for PCIe drives, but not sure it will be correct with power managment.

2. 3ACADA

3ACADA Newbie

Reputations:
    Can You post a screenshot (aida64 for example) with chipset south&north bridge configuration?
    As i see SDcard reader is x1 lane.

3. slnotebook

slnotebook Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I chose the 512GB Z Turbo drive option when configuring the ZBook 17 G2 on the HP web site. According to Device Manager, it is a LITEON-CX1-JB512-HP. I didn't know Lite-On made SSDs (I only knew they made optical drives). Not sure how reliable Lite-On SSDs are - I would have rather gotten the SanDisk A110 that people mentioned.

4. slnotebook

Reputations:
    I just did a test with this Z Turbo drive. I copied a 17.3 GB file from one directory on the drive to another directory, and it took about 48 seconds, which is about 363MB/sec, a far cry from the 800MB/sec that it's supposed to be. Someone tell me I did the test wrong, or else I'm going to cry for spending so much on this piece of junk Liteon "Z Turbo" drive.

5. slnotebook

Reputations:
    I noticed HP has PCI versions of the Z Turbo drive, such as the the one below, which has a Samsung SSD screwed onto it. I assume Samsung would be much faster than the junk Liteon one they gave me. Does anyone know if that Samsung is 22x60 size, and can you just unscrew it from the PCI card and plug it into the M.2 slot in a ZBook?

[​IMG]

6. Urr

Urr Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    upload_2016-5-8_14-51-28.png
    As you can see, there is an unused PCI-Express x4 lanes, connected to ... nothing
    and the NVMe PCIe SSD Controller is connected to the PCI-Express x2 lanes slot...

Last edited: May 8, 2016
  7. Urr

Urr Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    The Z-Turbo has a 22x60 m.2 addon card but I could only find Z-Turbo-G2 and its 22x80. Nevertheless, I did unscrew it and plugged it into the M.2 slot of my ZBook15-G2.

8. slnotebook

Reputations:
    Is it an NVMe drive? Did you have to cut off any part of the chassis or use tape, as I read others say they did when trying to fit a 22x80 drive into their ZBooks?

Also did you test its transfer speed?

9. Urr

Urr Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    It is NVMe drive. It works great but required some juggling with EFI boot procedure.
    I did not have to cut or tape anything. Regarding benchmark, see my previous posts in this thread. In random access, performance is two to three times better than SATA/AHCI SSD.

Last edited: May 9, 2016
  10. Urr

Urr Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    leftmost is the original notebook SATA-HDD middle one is with SATA-SSD rightmost is Samsung MZVP512HGDL NVMe PCIe SDD

MyBenchmark.jpg