zBook G2 Owners - Alternatives to "Z Turbo Drive"?

Discussion in 'HP Business Class Notebooks' started by timofcourse, Jan 13, 2015.

1. Mohamed Elkordy

Mohamed Elkordy Newbie

Reputations:
  2. hopey

hopey Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello Charly,

did you have a look at the disk connection mode? is it ide/ ahci or raid?

I got the idea today - no time to test yet... maybe it is in ide mode and that's not working with the ahci ssd.

3. Teddy1904

Teddy1904 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey hopey,

did it test yesterday. There is only AHCI available, so nothing to choose.

In BIOS at the system information the zbook recognized the M.2 SSD, but i wasn't able to install an OS from a USB pen drive (maybe some issues with my pen drive).

Have to try it again later.

Does anybody have experience with the option "UEFI Native (without CSM)"?

4. JacekP

JacekP Newbie

Reputations:
    OK, I got full success now. The problems I had and I wrote were related to UEFI.

I got 2280 SAMSUNG MZHPU256HCGL and it works fine now.

They key point is that due to some bug in BIOS it works only with UEFI boot. Also initial screen for some reason is invisible.

Once I used only GPT and used both Linux and Windows only in UEFI mode things work fine.
    I boot my primary OS (Linux) directly and boot the other one after
    I press F9 right after power on - and boot then: UEFI file and point location to UEFI boot file:
    \EFI\boot\bootx64.efi on the Windows disk.

To be sure I suggest UEFI native mode - since this will ensure Windows are in UEFI mode (in my case they were in BIOS mode booted in UEFI hybrid).

t456 likes this.
  5. aztec506

aztec506 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I thought 2260 pcie was the longest the G2 could accommodate? Don't see much advantage in the LiteOn mentioned in read/write unless a person is trying to fill all the ports with storage. I keep waiting for Samsung to introduce a 2260 size one t en I will be in the market.

6. JacekP

JacekP Newbie

Reputations:
    2280 fits as well, the problem is that there is no mounting hole so I used duck tape instead.

IMHO this was very strange decision by HP - enough space for 2280 but no mounting hole.

I have very mixed feelings about this notebook - on one side I could play Witcher 3 on lowest settings, on the other this 2280 thing, BIOS bugs, slower disk performance than expected, also heard about batch of poor-quality LCD panels, luckily HP had honored the warranty. I had Elitebook 8560 previously and the only problem I had with it was no highlighted keyboard.

7. DopeJope

DopeJope Newbie

Reputations:
    I've bought the Samsung 2280 MZHPV256HDGL-00000 AHCI version for the Zbook 17G2. It fits, but it still is a tight fight and there is almost no space between some elements on the motherboard. But without physical modification it fits. There is no mounting hole available or even neccessary because it is locked due to the chassis (it just fits underneath of the chassis and keeps it in place) on the end of the Samsung SSD drive. You'll need to push a little bit of the cushion/foam away on the left side for 3 mm or so.

But the settings in which we've managed to get Windows up and running on this drive is:

1. Update the BIOS first (we've updated till version 1.12)
    2. Put the UEFI mode in the BIOS in hybrid mode. Secureboot can be enabled if you whish.
    3. Place the USB device on top of the boot order in the BIOS
    4. Adjust other settings accordingly your own preferences (like VTd etc.)
    5. Use a USB stick to install
    6. Boot from the USB drive, it just takes a couple of seconds extra in the HP logo screen so please be aware of that.
    7. Install Windows
    8. Enjoy.

Only thing that needs some attention is that the BIOS seems be taking some seconds before it actually boots from the M2 device. Trying to figure out to eliminate this one. Suggestions appreciated!

t456 and dhirenmehta like this.
  8. dhirenmehta

dhirenmehta Newbie

Reputations:
    Hope they get a 2260 model out soon, a 2280 just will not fit in my HP ZBook 14G2. There just isn't enough space :(:(:(

9. Comal

Comal Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    What kind of speed do you get? Does it use 4x or 2x lanes?

10. DopeJope

DopeJope Newbie

Reputations:
    Sorry for my late reply. I will test it tommorow since this notebook is from a collegue of mine! But I think it uses 2 lanes (despite the fact that my collegue told me that it was blazingly fast; referencing towards an Samsung 840 EVO).....