zBook G2 Owners - Alternatives to "Z Turbo Drive"?

Discussion in 'HP Business Class Notebooks' started by timofcourse, Jan 13, 2015.

1. timofcourse

timofcourse Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Does anyone happen to know if there are alternatives to the Z Turbo Drive offered in the new zBook 15 and 17 G2? I know this is a SanDisk A110 2260 M.2 PCIe drive and really need 512GB or higher. Unfortunately I have had zero luck tracking down any other 2260 PCIe drives and hoped someone else here may have had better luck.

Thanks!

2015.02.11 Update: For those with similar questions, to save you from reading the entire thread, it looks like the interface in the ZBook G2 is a PCI-E which does not support SATA M.2 drives. At this time, there are many drives that will "fit" (2260 form factor), but they are all SATA III drives and are not compatible (see this article, "M.2 logical interfaces" section, 2nd to last sentence). The SanDisk A110 (which is the Z Turbo Drive) is the only PCI-E 2260 drive available currently.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2015
  2. win32asmguy

win32asmguy Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    In theory any M.2 2260 drive should work, SATA III or PCIe. So you could try out this 512GB SATA III drive if you don't mind sacrificing speed for storage space. The newly announced Crucial MX200 should be available in a 500GB M.2 2260 according to their specs.

3. triturbo

triturbo Long live 16:10 and MXM-B

Reputations:
    ^ I agree. I would wait for the Crucial though.

@OP - Have you checked it by yourself? Are you sure that only 6cm/60mm (2260) drives can fit in there? If there's another mounting screw behind it, it can fit 8cm/80mm (2280) drives as well. This would give you a couple more options, like SanDisk X300, which also has quite interesting features. Search for "SD7SN6S-512G-1022" or "SD7SN6S-512G-1122"

4. timofcourse

Reputations:
    I actually mistakenly purchased Transcend MTS600 (which is 512GB) when I order the laptop not realizing it was a SATA III drive until I received it. Unfortunately I cant get the laptop to recognize it. I've been unsuccessful it finding any info on whether sata drives can be used in PCIe slots, so not sure if that's the issue or something else entirely. Though even if I could, I'd really rather not lose the performance.

As you can see in the pic below, there's no way a 80mm drive will fit. Not only is there no screw hole for one, but the wireless card above it would prevent anything larger from going in.

Thanks for the heads up on the Crucial drive. Ill definitely keep an eye on that!

m2ssd.jpg

5. Charles P. Jefferies

Charles P. Jefferies TG Lead Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    HP should be offering the Z Turbo drive in 512GB capacities soon. I had a call with HP engineers a little less than a month ago.

triturbo likes this.
  6. win32asmguy

Reputations:
    That is very unfortunate and odd that the aftermarket drive does not work. I have used a Crucial M500 mSATA drive in my Zbook 17 and a myDigitalSSD M.2 2242 drive in my Elitebook 850 without any issue. I don't know why they would be blocking the drive from working.

Out of curiosity is the drive enabled in the bios? On my Elitebook 850 it has a global enable/disable option for the M.2 slot and I don't think the drive is detected if it is disabled.

7. triturbo

triturbo Long live 16:10 and MXM-B

Reputations:
    This is bad, both the non-running drive and the component placement on the motherboard. As win32asmguy suggested, check the BIOS, it should have setting about it. Also I don't have a motherboard, nor the schematics, in front of me, but I think it should have some kind of mux that switches between SATA and PCIe lines. Of course they could've made it entirely PCIe, since it's, you know, Z Turbo drive :) It's not that bad, but you'll have to wait a little longer for more variety.

The slot placement is pretty bad IMO, could be intentional, again, I don't have the MoBo in front of me, so I'm just guessing - bad HP, bad :p

So there are 512GB drives incoming as aftermarkets (or through HP, whatever suits one better), thanks for the update.

8. LBVCHR

LBVCHR Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi,

I bought a zbook 15 g2and I am trying to figure out what size m.2 sata I need to buy.

Any ideas on what size and or aftermarker brand that I can purchase and will work?

Anyone have any experience?

Thank you in advance.

9. timofcourse

Reputations:
    While thats good news for those who havent purchased yet, HP (and HP Parts store) do not offer the ability to buy the Z Drive separately. Hopefully this changes sometime in the future, but our HP rep said they have no ETA for this.

I've scoured the BIOS and the only setting is the enable/disable for M.2/PCIe slot under Device Configuration. This is checked/enabled. There are definitey no physical switches available to switch from SATA to PCIe. After a bit more digging, I found a couple other people mention in the zBook Owners thread they werent able to get the Transcend drive working in theirs either. So it appears m.2 SATA drives (or at least the Transcend one) are not compatible with this laptop.

See above... the only m.2 drive compatible with this laptop is a 2260 (60mm) PCIe drive - initial findings show m.2 SATA drives do not work. There are no aftermarket 2260 PCIe drives available this time, but as previously stated, Crucial is at least one with plans to release one - the MX200 - later this year. (Updated 2015.02.11: the Crucial CX200 is also a SATA drive and therefor will not work).

Thanks for the info all.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2015
  10. win32asmguy

Reputations:
    The 256GB Z Turbo Drive is part number 794731-001, and unfortunately its showing as $740 from HP Partsurfer. However I do see the Sandisk A110 available on Amazon for ~$200 which should work. As far as I know its the exact same drive that HP ships.