1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Z84j Owners Lounge

Discussion in 'ASUS Reviews and Owners' Lounges' started by lightshoes, Feb 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lightshoes

lightshoes Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Is there a Z84J owners lounge on this Asus Forum? I searched, but could not find one. Could it be on another forum? Or still tucked away in someone's keyboard? I ordered a Z84JP today (Asus Z84JP, T7200, 2gb ,100G@7200MB, Geforce 7600). I expect it sometime midweek next...

I looked at the G2 also, but chose the Z for the 2 gigs, the 5 speakers, the 1680x1050 display, the warranty, the review by Chaz, some unknowns. and a flip of a coin. I am not a gamer, but I do like speed. I suspect if the G2 had the WSXGA+. then I would be looking for that lounge.

2. gusto5

gusto5 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Just let this be it then. Im sure some mod (like cori) will come around and mod up the title for you.

3. ejl

ejl fudge

Reputations:
    there ya go...

4. khanhfat

khanhfat Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Finally another owner of Z84J.... seems like I'm the second after Chaz who has a Z84J in hand. When I decide to buy this machine, chaz already got it from Asus. How fast.

5. lightshoes

Reputations:
    Yes Khanhfat, an owner with his machine in transient. So...you are the one and only if for only a few more days. What OS do you have? I am assuming XP Pro or ? I will load XP Pro when I get it; and then wait for the drivers for Vista Ultimate to materialize.

What are the things you like about your Z84J; and what do suggest I be aware of while setting up? If I recall I believe there was talk about the lid being sensitive to prints and scratching. If so, what do you do to address it? Thanks........

6. khanhfat

khanhfat Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I'm running Xp Pro.

What I like:
    - Very nice screen,contrast, brightness are all good. I recommend use stock Asus Driver to get the accurate colors.
    - Speakers , this set of speakers produces fine Mid and high sounds. However, if the level is on max, the speaker starts to have some buzzing sound. Speakers at max will prooduce a pretty loud treble sound, you can use Realtek Audio manager to set the EQ for it. I'd prefer the stereo speaker on Toshiba by Harman Kardon. The sound quality of Toshiba is more "tight" than Asus ones. Overall, those 2 type speakers are decent to listen to.

- Clean look and the body is sleek compared to other 17" out there.
    - Upgradable GFX card but no one has tried on this yet. Let's wait for a year to see if any one can test this function.

What I don't like ( just minor)
    - Easily scratched surface, I accidentally scratch mine pretty bad and that was just 1 day when I put my laptop in my back pack. The Carrying Case included with the system protects it well.

- HDMI port seems not to work. I have to email Asus about this problem. I tried on 2 HDTVs at home with 2 different brands and I receive no signals from these 2 TVs. I'd prefer they put a DVI than HDMI now.

- Function Media Keys only works with WMP. The Dell's Funciton keys works with WMP, itunes, and JetAudio <--- Wat i'm using right now and my favourite. PM if you want to try.

- Not many people know about this Jet audio so here is some features:
    - Very detail EQ and audio effects , which enhance the sound quality to my favourite taste.
    built in Audio and Video encoder and converter.
    - some Dj effects.

Other thoughts:

- When assemble the system, if you see a slot without any screws.. probably it shares the screw with the Plastic cover outside so don't worry about Asus for get 1 screw for the system.
    - The main plastic cover is tricky to fully insert in the notebook body. It'll take some min to firgure out,pretty tough to pull out and put it back in for the first time. But becareful anyway.

- I'd recommend to put AS5 on CPU and GPU. I have AS5 on my CPU and it reduces the temp noticeably . THe GPU is kinda hot for me .

7. Jagged1980

Jagged1980 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi guys. I'm fairly new here and this is my first post.
    I am finally able to get a new computer (hopefully ordering tomorrow or Monday). The short story after many many hours of research is that I plan on ordering a Z84Jp in the next few days. The other one I was considering was the Clevo M570U-A / Sager 5750. Maybe some of you have some input in comparing the two.

I plan an buying it barebones and buying all the other parts from Newegg. What I am really wondering is, is there enough driver support to run Vista on it?

Here is what I plan on putting into it:
    -T7200
    -2 sticks of G.SKILL 1GB 200-Pin DDR2 SO-DIMM DDR2 667
    -Seagate Momentus 7200.1 ST910021AS 100GB 7200 RPM Serial ATA150
    -NOVA TECH NV-922W Mini PCI type IIIB Wireless Adapter (would the Intel one be worth getting? I don't have any wireless setup currently).

I am not a gamer so that is not what the main purpose will be, although since it will be much faster than my current computer I will probably end up buying some of the new games to try.

My wife uses Punch! Home Design Architectural Series® 4000 v10 so that will be a must to be able to run on it. I take lots of pictures and want to put all my Mini DV tapes on DVD.

Any input would be appreciated before I take any final steps.
    Thanks guys.

8. khanhfat

khanhfat Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I haven't test the wireless card you are going to buy. It'll work without a problem with Intel card. I having problem with Atheros Gigabyte card , which causes random disconnect with the Connected Icon ON.

Intel cards works great without any disconnect.

9. Jagged1980

Reputations:
    I got my tax money in today and ordered it all today after work. I decided to go with a barebones Z84Jp from excaliberpc.com and the rest from newegg.
    I decided to just get the Intel wireless card instead of the other one.
    I can hardly wait!!
    Any other tips for when I go to put it together?

10. lightshoes

Reputations:
    Hi Jagged...I checked out excaliberpc.com. This is the only Z84JP I could find on their site. Is it the one?: http://tinyurl.com/3x42r4

And if so - I notice it has a DVI port. Hmmmmmmmm where is mine (grin)? The one I ordered did not indicate a DVI. I was hoping it would come with one. I will see when it shows up...

And Congratulations!!!

11. Jagged1980

Reputations:
    Yes, actually that is the one. I wonder if it is just a typo.

12. lightshoes

Reputations:
  13. lightshoes

Reputations:
    Khankfat or anyone else with a Z84J or concerned with lid scratches.... Since I understand the lid/cover is suseptible to scratching, I was wondering if anyone has a suggestion for some sort of sticky paperplastic protection for it?

17" Z84JP on its way....

14. khanhfat

khanhfat Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yeah.. u can buy some clear stickers in large pieces that often used on Car's glass or body to protect the lid. IF you don't want to scratch it, just leave it on your desk as a desktop.

It also comes with a 17" notebook bag so it'll be safe in there.

Excaliberpc did not provides the right specs but their price is the lowest I could find and they don't require you to buy CPU from them.

About the right specs again is : it does not have an DVI port. There's only 4 USB instead of 5.

If anyone got the system, please help me to firgure out how to work the HDMI port on it cause it seems like non functioning.

I 'm kinda busy so I don't have time to talk to Asus yet.

Other online shop like powernotebooks or xoticpc offers a 3 year warranty , which is nice.

EDIT AGAIN: OMG price drops on parts which is about 50$ differences when I bought back on the end of January. OMG OMG :(:( lucky for ones who waits

15. Jagged1980

Reputations:
  16. lightshoes

Reputations:
    Yep - to the price Khanhfat. Mine at powernotebooks dropped in price since I ordered it a few days ago. I got a message into Ron there to see what he can do. Also I noticed they are coming loaded with Ultimate. I included that as a question for Ron.

I will check out my HDMI when it reaches me...Hope yours is something simple. Thanks for the 'skins' heads ups Jagged. I will need to protect it right away. It will be both a desktop and a move-it-around-a-lot laptop. More than likely will go with the clear sticky stuff.

17. khanhfat

khanhfat Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Nice... I'll take a look at it.

18. lightshoes

Reputations:
    The Z84JP came in an hour ago. I am, as we speak, loading XP Pro. The computer came with this software:

Intel ProSet/Wireless vs 10.1.0.2
    ASUS Media@Show SE 2.0 (bundle version)
    ASUS DVD power director/media show vs: 1.0
    Z84J series User Manual
    Z84J NI874 Driver Utility Ver 1.0 (run setup.exe to start installations for other OS)
    Nero OEM Suite v7.5.13.0 N2053

Are there any of these you suggest I stay away from?.....

19. Bobosaw

Bobosaw Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have not been able to get my hdmi to work with my tv either. I think it is because the z84jp uses the hdcp format and my tv doesn't. There are two hdmi formats. I still need to do some more checking on that.

Unfortunately, there is nothing in the owners manual about using the hdmi port. Hopefully somebody who has been able to use the hdmi port on the Z84Jp will post something.

20. khanhfat

khanhfat Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Stay away from media show. DVD, .

U can use the Driver utility disc but disable some software that u don't need.

U lucky got a nero 7.5 .... i only have 6.6

I don't know man... Asus put fake ports in their laptops? I have no clue about HDCP thing. I checked insde the motherboard i saw the connection of HDMI is there not fake one.

I have 2 HDTVs one is PIoneer 60" pro , and other one is Samsung 40"... both doesn't seem to work.

I already emailed asus, i think they're finding the model and trying to firgure out how to work that thing. In my opinion, we might need a special software than Nvidia video card driver to control HDMI.

If HDMI doesn't work, it's time to claim for replacement from retailer.... cause i want to trade my scratched one :D:D:D :(