Z11 - Replace DVD with HDD - Working Solution

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by ZoinksS2k, Mar 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Edwood

Edwood Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I think I figured out why my Z12 won't boot up at all with the Fenvi adapter in place. Went into the BIOS and noticed that the Optical drive has first boot priority. Probably trying to boot off of the Fenvi drive, which would be fine if I wanted it that way. But the fact that it won't even post at all probably means that it's just not working. Either way, I'm not going to be using the Fenvi since the stock Z DVD bezel does not fit on it.

2. Edwood

Edwood Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Some pics.

Fenvi Adapter in Place
    [​IMG]

Fenvi Bezel Compared to Stock DVD Bezel. Fenvi on Top, Stock DVD Bezel on Bottom. They are not interchangeable without modifications.
    [​IMG]

As you can see, the two center tabs are way off, you'd need to cut them both off. The right most tabs are similar, but off by a few millimeters. The big left tab is entirely different and does not lock in the same way, the Fenvi has a hole to lock in place, the Stock Sony has a notch that locks into a hole.

Should have my Newmodeus adapter tomorrow or the day after.

3. ZugZug

ZugZug Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Don't know about Fenvi, but I have both Thinkpad and Newmodeus adapters and both work in Z11. Thinkpad one has that small hole left in the bezel but is much better at putting HDD into it thanks to an ingenious latch. With Newmodeus, even if you remove thin metal cover temporarily, it's hard to plug HDD properly - not enough space. I was afraid to break SATA connector while doing it. Given the fact that you'll end up fixing HDD with screws in the adapter anyway, Newmodeus should have left a bit more wiggle room to put HDD in.

Overall, both have advantages and disadvantages.

4. Edwood

Edwood Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    The Fenvi adapter is only held in place with friction and a plastic "plug". I think I'd prefer screws to hold it in place, despite it being more difficult to install. This set up is not a modular one that would be swapped out continuously.

-Ed

5. dbavaria

dbavaria Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks for the clear and informative post Edwood. Looks like I'll be ordering the Newmodeus adapter soon...

6. Edwood

Edwood Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Haha, well, hold off for a day or two, I'll have my Newmodeus adapter and I'll let ya know if it works.

7. User Retired 2

User Retired 2 Notebook Nobel Laureate NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    The Fenvi caddy should let you attach screws to the HDD sides which then hold the HDD down when slide under the caddy tabs. This prevents vertical movement. The front plug prevents forward/backward movement. Together these two measures secure the drive firmly in place.

The newmodeus caddy pins the drive down with screws.

8. travfar

travfar Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    How did you get the DVD faceplate to mount on the Fenvi adapter?

9. Edwood

Edwood Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Just got the Newmodeus adapter and installed it. Works great. Not a perfect fit by a long shot, though. The Bezel sticks out a bit, and is crooked, exposing some metal. I'll post pics later.

ZugZug is correct about the ridiculously tight fit of the SATA HDD in the Newmodeus adapter. The Fenvi has a much much better method of affixing the drive. Also the Newmodeus adapter is heavier (but stronger) than the Fenvi. Both are heavier than the optical drive itself (not even counting the HDD or SSD in place).

I think I might modify the Newmodeus adapter to lighten the weight and to get the bezel to fit better.

Will take a jeweler's saw and skeletonize the sheet metal of the Newmodeus adapter soon. Also I'm pretty sure I can drill a hole in it to allow mounting it with two screws rather than just one (using the screw in the drive tray that you have to eject the drive to access).

But it functions perfectly so far, my Vaio Z112 boots up properly, and the drive is instantly recognized. I'll have to play around with power settings as I don't want it spinning all the time.

-Ed

10. travfar

travfar Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    So my Z was creaking like an old bed tonight because of the loose hinges. I opened it up to tighten 'em up so I took the opportunity to install my Fenvi adapter. Opening up the Z is super easy. By far the most nerve racking thing is that keyboard connector. Taking it off is easy. Putting it back on is a PITA.

My first impression of the Fenvi adapter is not good. What's that rattling? Turns out one of the screws busted loose and is rattling around the inside. I take the adapter apart and dig it out. I try to screw it back on it it just won't tighten. I then look at the screw. It's defective. The threads only go halfway along the screw. It hits a spot without any thread and just spins. I tape it on because I don't want it rattling around the inside of my Z. I do not like the way the HD fits in the adapter. One, its super hard to get the drive connectors to line up. The connectors on the adapter are too low. Two, I put the screws in but the don't touch anything on the sides so are pretty useless. Three, that little spacer plug is loose. I jammed some rubber in there to tighten it up. At first I try to put on both the brackers off of the DVD. The lower one goes on easy, the top one is a tight fit. So tight that I semi mangle it to get it on and use tape to keep it down. With it on, the adapter sits high because of the bracket and there is a huge gap. I take it back off and now I'm only using the lower bracket. Compression from the lid seems to be keeping it on fairly tightly. I'm more concerned that the bracket screws also hold down a cable and a piece of the motherboard. The screws won't dog down enough with the thickness of the bracket.

It works. It doesn't look that bad. There is a little pin on the top half of the Z case that pushes down on the faceplate on the upper left. I do feel the drive spinning a bit and I can really hear it. It's not like it's really bad at all. It's not worse than a normal HD equipped laptop. I've just gotten use to the silence and lack of vibration of the SSD equipped Z. My drive does spin down after a min or two.

Here are a bunch of picts, I hope they are self explanitory.

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.