Z Series Newmodeus Caddy Questions

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by timtim86, Dec 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Edwood

Edwood Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    The Newmodeus caddy by itself weighs a but more than the stock optical drive. The HDD adds most of the weight.

The stock optical drive is incredibly lightweight, it's quite a fragile, skeletonized little thing. You could remove it, but there is no way to mount the bezel by itself without making a custom bracket or gluing/taping it into place.

I'm most likely going to modify the caddy to fit better and lighten it up by skeletonizing it by cutting a lot of holes in the sheet metal. I'll try to remember to take weight measurements before cutting it up.

The lightest weight solution would be to remove the optical drive, and hook up a 1.8" 256GB mini SATA SSD directly internally and foam tape/velcro it into place. Then tape or custom bracket the stock optical drive bezel into place.

Of course the trade off is a lot less storage space. I'm more likely to get upgrade my 500GB Hitachi drive to a 1TB one when they eventually have 9.5mm ones available.

-Ed

2. Edwood

Edwood Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Talk is cheap. Show us some pics. Perhaps there are some manufacturing inconsistencies, or you're just not as picky as the rest of us.

Here's pics of mine. I double checked and made sure it was correctly seated. Luckily, the Z is very easy to open up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

-Ed

3. Willy330Ci

Willy330Ci Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    @Edwood:

Excellent photos, I actually have the same exact set on my camera as of now, will upload them later, and I hated the ONLY thing about the caddy, which is the thin Metal line appearing when flipping over the laptop, just like in your first photo.

Please install some games (on the HDD), and come back to us with your feedback, experience, and if you find the LAG we are all talking about, while gaming, while exploring the contents of the HDD using windows explorer.

Keep an eye on the HDD Led on the chassis of the Z, does it turn on for 2 seconds continuously when you are accessing the files, just a note, put some many files first on the HDD.

what are the specs of your HDD too?

Will

4. Edwood

Edwood Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I don't play games on my Z. But I do have very high bitrate 1080P movies on the optical bay Newmodeus HDD, and they play flawlessly, no skipping, stuttering when playing, or exploring the drive. I do have the power options for Vaio Power Management on Automatic. And in Windows I have power set to Balanced with Turn off HDD after 20 minutes when on battery, and Never when plugged in.

-Ed

5. User Retired 2

User Retired 2 Notebook Nobel Laureate NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    Z11 folks have noted the bezel on the ebay 9.5mm "Fenvi" caddy can be swapped, but the tabs are slightly off. See pics.

6. Edwood

Edwood Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Yeah, that would be my post and pics.

The main clip is completely different (hole in tab vs. hook catch), and the tabs are far enough off that they'd have to be cut off, and the entire bezel would need to be glued/taped in place. So not at all easily swapped.

-Ed

7. Willy330Ci

Reputations:
    Well, as Promised, Photos for final result.

Still awaiting Fix for the Intermittent Lag though, no way me and several other posters are wrong about it.

I so much encourage everyone looking for More Storage Space, to opt for this, Just awesome. !

Will

Attached Files:

8. Edwood

Edwood Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Yeah, the fit looks like mine. I don't think they molded it properly. It can be recessed a little bit more possibly, but it likely won't fix the fact that the bezel chamfer looks like it's a little bit off.

Also, it shows better in your pics, the Newmodeus bezel is darker in color and smoother texture than the Vaio Z plastic.

As for your intermittent lag, what are your Windows and Vaio Power settings? Particularly "Turn off HDD after...." amount of time?

-Ed

9. killer626

killer626 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Ok so I guess I'm not as picky as you, or I don't turn my laptop over as often (?) xD

To tell you the truth the 1 mm of caddy that can be seen on the right is what I consider "being picky"I mean honestly how often do you turn your vaio over... Apart from that the frontplate is perfect. From the front/side it looks spotless.

As for the intermittent lag, I'm set to turn off Hard disks after 20 min on battery or on AC power, and am getting no lag whatsoever (picky or not lol I'm a cinephile so trust me on this) even if i'm watching a 12Gb 1080p with DTS 5.1 audio on my 50 inch plasma, from my WD Blue in the caddy.

Maybe try putting the HD in another computer to see if your HD is not deficient...

As for battery life, I'm on the extended battery so I'm not sure you guys can compare but I get 8hrs surfing, 5hrs watching videos. While in class the other day reading a pdf on low brightness, even though the pdf (150mo, so not a tiny one) was on the HD in the caddy, my Z displayed 13hrs of battery. Gotta love this gem of a PC...

10. Willy330Ci

Reputations:
    Killer626, and Edwood:

Power settings are set to NEVER, Profile = Performance, Cooling Policy = Performance.

Guys try to play a game that has been installed on the WD Blue, I guess other HDD does not have the Power Management that WD use, that's why Edwood does not see this problem since he has a Hitachi.

But It Exists, and its so Lame, making all games not playable, Damn!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.