Your thoughts on the Jeep Renegade?

Discussion in 'Motorized Vehicles' started by Mitlov, Aug 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Reputations:
    I agree, a loaded Trailhawk has a price tag that's hard to swallow for a small "soft-roader". I was looking at the Latitude model with the 1.4T and the 6MT, which has an MSRP of $23,000 and probably sells for a couple grand less (appropriate for a turbo AWD vehicle, even a small one, in my book).

The Forester continues to be a vehicle that I should like given its objective virtues, but I just really don't want for irrational, subjective reasons. Among other subjective things about the Forester (style, etc), before the Jetta, I owned a Legacy wagon that was perfectly practical, but unrefined (both suspension-wise and transimission-wise) and profoundly dull to drive in every respect, and the ergonomics just didn't fit me right at all. It's colored my taste for Subarus, even though a 2015 Forester shares almost nothing with a 2006 Legacy.

2. Tsunade_Hime

Tsunade_Hime such bacon. wow

Reputations:
    Well I'd say at least test drive the Forester or the XV Crosstrek, if you don't like it, no harm no foul. I don't think there's any other fun exciting AWD small crossovers besides the Mazda CX-3 which does not offer a stick shift with the AWD variants. I'm also assuming you don't like the look of the Nissan Juke?

3. Thaenatos

Thaenatos Zero Cool

Reputations:
    My wife owns a CRV and TBH it drives and feels cheaper then the Jeep compass/patriot circa 2008. Apparently they also redid the interior recently so thats a plus, but so did honda and the 2015 CRV she had for 2 months as a rental wasnt too shabby but also wasnt all that good either. Really what it boils down to is small SUVs mostly feel sluggish and not all that impressive. But thats to be expected as they are entry level.

4. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Reputations:
    I don't mind its dune-buggy-meets-bullfrog looks; to the contrary, I think it's brimming with personality and I like that. But while I like small vehicles for fuel economy and ease of parking, I still need/want a decent amount of back seat space (my nine-year-old is already up to my collarbone and my six-year-old isn't far behind) and cargo space. The boxy shape of a traditional Jeep gives an incredible amount of space for a B-segment vehicle. The Juke is the exact opposite. Comparing the Juke to the Renegade--both B-segment soft-roaders with similar footprint, price, fuel economy, etc--the Renegade gives 4" more headroom and 3" more legroom in the second row, and 80% more cargo space behind the second row.

Since I don't have an imminent need to replace the Civic Si, I'm starting to think I should hold onto another couple years to see (1) how the Renegade holds up reliability-wise, (2) if Subaru gives the Forester an injection of personality next generation (or at least a substantial improvement in fuel economy), or (3) if anything else comes out that's really tempting. For right now, the Renegade remains the option I want and the Forester remains the option that I would buy if I was just being 100% sensible (but if I was just sensible, I'd probably own a Prius instead of a Civic Si).

5. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Reputations:
    Between cars and motorcycles, I've owned more Hondas than all other manufacturers combined. Let me just say that the brand ain't what it used to be, either in terms of driving enjoyment and in terms of build quality. I would actually be hesitant to buy another Honda again right now; I'm not saying "never again in my life" but like a romance that's gone sour, I think the brand and I need some time apart once I'm done with the Si. But they don't really offer what I'm looking for, unless I cave on either a 6MT (which I much prefer) or forego AWD and just rely on the CX-5's other virtues (it's got the ground clearance to get up a rutted dirt road, even though it's not AWD, and by all accounts it's a pleasure on-road).

I kind of think Mazda is the new Honda; most recent Mazdas I've been in have been an incredible pleasure to drive (even my wife's Mazda5 has good steering feel, well-controlled suspension, and a smooth-shifting 6MT...what other minivan ever sold on the US market could claim that?), and the interiors are attractive and well made for the price.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2015
  6. Tsunade_Hime

Reputations:
    FYI I was joking about the Juke a little. The interior is quite cramped, the fuel economy not that impressive, and it barely holds any cargo, like the Mercedes Benz GLA or the BMW X1. It does have some character though, and there are Nismo editions (why Nissan why).

Yeah I'm not very optimistic with the reliability of the Renegade because: 1) FCA overall has not been launching 100% solid products 2) even other Jeeps with the same powertrain aren't doing so well either (Cherokee with the 2.4L and the ZF 9 speed auto). But there were reports of the 1.4T and the 9 speed auto not doing so well, the 6MT maybe far better reliability wise for the future.

I also doubt Subaru will completely redesign the Forester anytime soon. 2014 was the launch of the new model, and last I checked the 2012-2014 Subaru Impreza vs 2015 Impreza, they just added a little chrome piece on front bumper, not much to distinguish it from the rest. The Mazda CX-3 might be a viable options, but AFAIK it only comes stick with FWD versions, same with the CX-5 (which is far more practical and just as fun IMO). The overall reliability of the CX-5 is pretty good, powertrain is good, interior materials are good, only downside of Mazda was Honda's old problem, cabin/wind noise. But if you are like me, you always have the stereo blasting, it's not a huge issue. The CX-5 also does get....pricey if you get the AWD grand touring, it's hitting close to 30k.

There is the Honda HR-V...but it's even more pedestrian than the Forester, and only comes with the CVT if you get the AWD. Overall if you want a sensible package, it is a good buy, but if you start loading it up, you play into the territory of actually good small SUVs.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2015
  7. Thaenatos

Thaenatos Zero Cool

Reputations:
    I used to think the CVT was cool until i drove one. NOT A FAN AT ALL!

8. Tsunade_Hime

Reputations:
    I think it REALLY depends on the CVT/car. The Subaru one isn't great, but rumors were for 2016 was they were programmed to behave more like a normal automatic transmission. The Honda CVT isn't bad (Civic, Accord, CR-V). But the CVTs on small/cheap cars are usually really bad (it holds engine revs forever, causing the engine to drone). Some hybrids also have a really bad CVT (Honda Insight, Accord Hybrid CVT).

9. Thaenatos

Thaenatos Zero Cool

Reputations:
    The problem I have is most CVTs are on small engine platforms and lets be honest a 4 banger at 3-6k rpms drones. Pretty much every one I drove drones BAD and thats a no no for me. Ill take a 4 speed over a CVT now, but Ill enjoy my 6 speed and nearly 400HP daddy mobile over anything.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2015
  10. Syndrome

Syndrome Torque Matters

Reputations:
    Not to be a Nazi, but doesn't that refer to people, not objects. Wouldn't it be 'every one' when referring to things not people?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.