Your thoughts on the Jeep Renegade?

Discussion in 'Motorized Vehicles' started by Mitlov, Aug 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Reputations:
    I've never before been "a Jeep guy," but I'm finding myself sorely tempted by one of these. Thoughts? Anyone have any first-hand experience, good or bad?

(1) I'm not looking for something for hardcore rock scrambling, but I'm camping and hiking much more than I did in my 20s, and my Civic Si sucks for dirt roads and getting to campsites.

(2) I really prefer manual transmissions, and finding something outside of the sport compact or sports car segments with a manual is pretty darned hard, at least on the US market.

(3) The fuel economy of the 1.4T manual transmission 4x4 model is unbelievable, especially for anything remotely SUV-ish. 24 mpg city, 31 mpg highway (US gallons), a few mpg better than my Civic Si.

(4) I know that it's not going to be objectively fast with the 1.4T, but in my experience, turbochargers and manual transmissions make a vehicle feel more responsive from behind the wheel, even if the 0-60 and 0-100 times are a joke. Anyone driven one of these and want to comment?

(5) My kids are growing like weeds, and the back of my Civic Si isn't getting any bigger. This is tiny by SUV standards, but due to its boxy upright shape, still gives more passenger volume than what I'm used to.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Tsunade_Hime

Tsunade_Hime such bacon. wow

Reputations:
    1) The Renegade is a "cute ute" but that's kinda where it ends. I haven't driven one yet, but alot of reviews are it's not a great "car". It's also built in Italy, so long term reliability will defintely always be in question.

2) Traditional old school turbos can have "lag" unless it was a small turbo that could spool the turbo on low revs. Newer direct injection turbos feel extremely fast as peak torque is available at 1500-2500 revs.

If you are looking for a reliable, long term vehicle, why not look at like a manual Subaru Forester? The Forester sits on the Impreza platform (though is significantly taller). It is quite roomy inside. Unfortunately the manual Forester is available on base, 2.5i and 2.5i Premium trims, you cannot get leather and the full "luxury" features with a manual transmission. The manual Forester has a 50/50 torque split for the AWD, whereas the CVT has a 60/40 torque split.

3. Thaenatos

Thaenatos Zero Cool

Reputations:
    Honestly If I were in the market for a entry level jeep or cheap jeep or whatever you want to call it, Id get a patriot. its Classic Cherokee meets round headlights and the interior wasnt bad IMHO in 2008 and from what I have heard its improved.

Honestly though to get me back into a jeep outside of my WJ thats rotting away on the farm right now is a clean diesel option. The Grand Cherokee is the only way to get said option and thats at a hefty price tag.

4. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Reputations:
    The Forester is a perfectly practical, sensible vehicle, but it does nothing for me on a subjective level. Which shouldn't matter, but it does.

The Patriot's an interesting option; I thought the Renegade replaced it but I guess they're still selling it. I'd certainly be willing to test-drive it--it's handsome, and at this point, it's time tested--but my understanding was that it's less responsive to drive and also less fuel-efficient?

Fishon likes this.
  5. J.Dre

J.Dre Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Jeep is overpriced. That's all I know.

6. Thaenatos

Thaenatos Zero Cool

Reputations:
    I do like subaru and always had a soft spot for the forrester, but jeeps image is just more appealing to me. Yes the patriot wont win any races especially if you have people in the car and the AC on. But I dont think the renegade will fair much better IMHO as the power isnt too far off. Being as they almost directly compete with each other (jeep has 4 vehicles that compete with each other) there wont be much of a difference for the most part. IMHO the 1.4l turbo option on the renegade is the wild card.

7. Tsunade_Hime

Reputations:
    Some Jeeps are overpriced. The Grand Cherokee is a luxury SUV that get astronomically expensive. The Cherokee is plain overpriced to begin with, and I think it looks horrible. If you get a V6 Cherokee with 4WD and basic options, you are hitting over like 32k. I can get a fully loaded Subaru Forester XT with leather for that.

The Forester is the most practical SUV. I never said it was **fun**. The reason I recommended it was overall Subarus longevity and I thought you had preferred Japanese cars (you had a Mazda 5 and a Civic Si?). The Subaru stick shift is okay, nothing great, but it does get you the nominal 50/50 torque split AWD which does wonders in the snow.

Ugh no offense, but the Patriot and Compass were the high tide of terrible Chrysler products. Cheap interior, not that efficient powertrains, just horrible. Chrysler needed a "small" SUV in the category and I believe they built it on the Dodge Caliber platform that was just awful. The only Jeep I could recommend from that era is the Jeep Commander as that still runs on a RWD/4WD platform. But I figured if Mitlov was looking for a Renegade, he wanted something a bit smaller.

8. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Reputations:
    I'm pretty agnostic on nation of origin. My wife and I currently own a Civic Si and Mazda5, but before the Si, I owned a MkIV Jetta 1.8T. I've never owned an American or Korean car but I'm perfectly open to either.

Yeah, I don't want anything that big/inefficient. My wife and I have always followed a pattern where she has the big/roomy vehicle, and I have the small/efficient vehicle. The Renegade's fuel economy of 24 mpg city, 31 mpg highway was one of the notable selling points...it's rare to find a vehicle that doesn't balk at rutted dirt roads yet still delivers that sort of efficiency. The Commander is a full-size SUV and delivers 14 mpg city, 19 mpg highway--not what I'm looking for.

9. Tsunade_Hime

Reputations:
    Okay that makes a bit more sense. My fiance now drives my Subaru XV Crosstrek to work, and I drive the 240SX to my work. My XV Crosstrek gets ~25.5 city average and 33+ mpg highway and the XV is quite a bit larger. The Forester should get 25-26 mpg average with the 2.5L and the turbo is like 21-22 mpg combined. The biggest thing against the Renegade is the price, the Trailhawk puts it at like 25-26k, which is waaaay too much for a subcompact CUV. I think subcompact CUV's shouldn't hit more than 23k, otherwise they start losing the value proposition to proper small/mid sized crossovers. Plus subcompacts already mostly budget minded cars, so the build of some are really drab and dreary, even hitting the 26k mark (Chevy Trax). Whereas my XV was the same price and the Impreza interior isn't bad at all, a little hard plastic here and there but nothing REALLY offensive.

10. ZaZ

ZaZ Super Model Super Moderator

Reputations:
    When I was buying a new car a few years back, I really wanted a Jeep Wrangler cause when I was a kid, the neighbors across the alley had one and I was fascinated by it, but the reliability of the Jeep brand at the time was bottom of the barrel. I don't know if that's changed in the meantime. Plus, the sub 20MPG fuel economy, when gas was close to $4 a gallon, pushed me to look elsewhere.

I'd check with owners on the fuel economy too. The Sonic I got offers a 1.4L turbo too, which is supposed to get better fuel economy, but sometimes doesn't do as well as the less expensive 1.8L I bought.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.