Your thoughts on the 2017 Dell Inspiron 7370 and 7570?

Discussion in 'Dell' started by B0B, Oct 17, 2017.

1. franzerich

franzerich Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I found your video (before looking at this forum) and was shocked. Was looking forward to getting one of the Dells Inspiron either 2-in-1 or not, but this thermal limit turned me completely off.

Well, truth is, the 940mx als turned me off, and I hoped that they put in the successor mx150, but now I must assume that they will throttle it too.

In fact, I am pretty sure that they will throttle the mx150, because it has already happened on the Dell Inspiron 17 7000 2-in-1. In a german review https://notebooks-und-mobiles.de/dell-inspiron-17-7000-2-in-1-7773-im-test#comment-3032 they pointed out that the mx150 GPU is being throttled, which can also be seen by their firestrike benchmarks:

Dell 17 7000 (mx150+8550u): 2662 points
    Acer Aspire 5 (mx150+8250u): 3220 points

What a joke...

B0B likes this.
  2. B0B

B0B Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I'm glad you found out about this before buying! Honestly I cannot recommend the laptop to anyone.

The dGPU is useless and i'd send people in a different direction if they said they don't need the 940mx.

Then I should mention the build quality too in this post as well. I knew mine was a bit bent, but others have noticed theirs in the same way as mine.

This laptop just seems like a new CPU with leftover parts from their parts bin.

3. franzerich

franzerich Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I wonder if the GPU throttling can be prevented by putting some thermal pads on its VRMs (which read the temperature), and stack them until they touch the bottom cover so the heat is dissipated to the case?

I read about this "trick" in the XPS 9560 owner's thread. Not sure if it's possible on the Inspiron as well. It was just a thought.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2018
    WhataD likes this.
  4. mctsimo1

mctsimo1 Newbie

Reputations:
    It looks at though dell have released a mx130 4gb version of the 7570. Anyone know whether this one has the same 70c limit or is it higher (ideally what should the gpu limit be?)

Thanks

5. Aivxtla

Aivxtla Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Had a similar issue with a GeForce 840M, in my old Asus X550LNV, practically the same GPU as the 940MX/MX150. I found intermittent rock drops to like 135Mhz or so in the GPU under full load in stress tests and games.

Solution was to extract the bios then from that the vbios and mod it so boost clocks were disabled and then no more throttling at all. At 1029 MHz it was solid. Boost was originally 1176Mhz I believe. My guide is still on nVidia’s forums, for the Asus. If you can extract the vbios from the Dell then follow the rest of my guide, it should work.

Basically the extra voltage and temps affiliated to the boost causes either temp or power limit to be reached causing the drops. For me it was the power limit I believe. Mod didn’t work for all Asus laptops as can be seen from that thread as some models seemed to have a backup vbios or something.

Last edited: May 7, 2018