Your SSD Opinions Solicited!

Discussion in 'Panasonic' started by Azrial, Aug 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ajkula66

ajkula66 Courage and Consequence

Reputations:
    Just be aware that the standard 840 is deemed to be inferior to its predecessor, 830. It's the 840 Pro that is all the rage nowadays.

I've got Crucials (C300 and M4) in my ToughBooks and love them dearly. Wouldn't say no to 830 or 840 Pro for the next machine. Wouldn't come anywhere near a SanDisk, but that's me.

Happy shopping.

2. capt.dogfish

capt.dogfish The Curmudgeon

Reputations:
    The 830s are history and as of Thursday the 840 evo is the new kid on the block. The M500 is now the go to Crucial. I am very happy with my 830s but the new CF-53 can actually use some of the speed of the newer models.
    CAP

3. Gear6

Gear6 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Samsung and recently Intel (again) with their new series (DC S3x00), are AFAIK the only SSD manufacturers that produce everything on their own (R&D, NAND Flash, controller, firmware). Samsung even has its own factory.
    That means they have full control over the whole process, and should be very quick to resolve potential issues, and optimize production for reliability and lower costs.

I'm also looking for a 256GB SSD, and have my eye on the 840 Pro, which has 90K random write 4KB IOPS vs 840's 30K, let alone the MLC vs cheaper USB flash-drive like, TLC NAND.
    Ah, and AES-256 FDE.

4. capt.dogfish

capt.dogfish The Curmudgeon

Reputations:
    I think we're getting into the weeds here. Az has a CF-30 MK1. Toyo has discussed his futile efforts to get his CF-30 to get more than SATA 1 out of his controller. The question is what will be a reliable, affordable, SSD for a Mark1 CF-30. I think the general consensus here is that Samsung, Intel, and Crucial are all good drives. Staying within these brands the best buy for Az will be the drive, in the size he needs, that has the lowest cost per GB. IMHO, boot times are a lousy way to evaluate drives. Any recent, decent SSD will be faster than his computer can utilize. My preference for Samsung drives is based on the ease of transition when I switched over. The other manufacturers may be as easy, I just don't have experience with them.
    CAP

Shawn likes this.
  5. ohlip

ohlip Toughbook Modder

Reputations:
    Two my unit has Samsung 840 series. The CF-19MK3 and Getac B300

ohlip

6. mnementh

mnementh Crusty Ol' TinkerDwagon

Reputations:
    SqueakSqueak, SqueakSqueak, SqueakSqueak...

*gets off of rusty old tricycle*

I have a Super-Talent FPM32GRSE in my EEEPC!!! It wuns Winbows X-pee weall good!

*Cheesy proud grin*

*gets back on rusty old tricycle*

SqueakSqueak, SqueakSqueak, SqueakSqueak into the distance...

mnem
    *Random-Mode*

7. gijoe4us

gijoe4us Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I have a SanDisk SSD (Win8), a SanDisk Hybrid (Win7), and a WD Blue (spinner) (WinXP)..... Win8 boots up right now, as soon as you turn on the CF 19 MK IV. Win7 is fast with the hybrid (40G in SSD (200 as standard drive), it's no where near the SSD. Win XP, yawn.... If I were, and I am, going to buy another SSD, I would go with the 500G SanDisk or Samsung. A little more in the price, but you get 250 more G for $130.00 more. At least that is what I have seen at the M-Center here in SoCal....

8. Azrial

Azrial Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yeah, I looked at the Samsung 500GB, and you are right, that is not a bad price per GB. However I read something many years ago that has been my rule of thumb since on HDD purchases.

"You don't buy a Greyhound Bus as your daily transportation because one day you might want to take 45 of your friends to the Superbowl!" HDD will always be faster and larger for cheaper, tomorrow.

I took a current assessment of my CF-29 that I have been using for several years. It have about 256GB loaded on a 320GB HDD, and I am muleing a around a LOT of data that I don't really need with me on a daily basis. I don't need 500GB right now, however, your mileage may vary... :D

Thanks for the info! :thumbsup:

9. toughasnails

toughasnails Toughbook Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    Not sure what prices you guys see for 500gb but all I pay for my 256gb was a low of $130.00 to a high of $150.00 at newegg. Any of the 500gb I have seen was $370 to $480

10. Shawn

Shawn Crackpot Search Ninja and Options Whore

Reputations:
    Or you can be a cheap skate like me and buy a small/moderate size drive and a usb stick to keep the rest of the data in your pocket.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.