Your SSD Opinions Solicited!

Discussion in 'Panasonic' started by Azrial, Aug 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Azrial

Azrial Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I am thinking of installing a 256GB SanDisk Ultra Plus SSD in my CF-30 Mk1. I am also considering the the Samsung 840 250GB. BTW, the Samsung is on sale right now! :thumbsup:

Has anyone else had experience with either of these drives? I am certainly open to other HDD (SSD and Electromechanical) as well.

Sorry for the rain of questions and posts, but to anyone that has been around here long enough to remember when I got my CF-29, I kind of go crazy till I get it right!

LoL!

2. toughasnails

toughasnails Toughbook Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    I have both of them. I have one Sandisk and 3 Samsung , 120gb and two 250gb. Very good drives so far. I got mine at newegg at christmas time for $140 and the other one for $155. I also have the Kingston hyper X 250gb drive which I have in my 53 and in my 30 I have the intel 320.

3. capt.dogfish

capt.dogfish The Curmudgeon

Reputations:
    I have 250 GB Samsung 830s in both my CF-30 MK 3 and my CF-52 MK 2. The transition was painless, I just cloned the SSDs in the computer and went to work. The increase in performance is stunning. I'm getting a CF-53 shortly and am considering a Samsung 840 evo or a Crucial M500 this time around. Don't get too hung up on boot times, the speed of 4K operations is more important for actual day to day use.
    CAP

4. Yeti575

Yeti575 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    If choices rather than cost were involved I'd choose the 840. Both are excellent SSDs, though I think the SanDisk uses a Marvell 9175 instead of a high-end controller. Probably better write performance from the Samsung also

5. Alecgold

Alecgold Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    samsungs has been very good IMHO and experience. Sandisk isn't a bad brand either, but I have never tried them.
    So far I've been using Samsungs (about 4) Intels (320's and 330's) and a few OCZ Vertex 3. I had one Intel 320 600Gb with some odd behavior, but it was replaced under warranty. The OCZ's I had several fail and I stopped using them.

6. ADOR

ADOR Evil Mad Scientist

Reputations:
    I haven't got any newer SSD's. I have played with the older X25 G2 intels. Had good luck with them so far. CF-19 Mk1 on XP (girlfriends oldest boy), CF-19 Mk2 with 7 (girlfriends), CF-19 Mk3 with 7, CF-74 Mk3 with 7 (daughters), CF-T7 with 7, CF-74 Mk4 with 7(for the girlfriend, her dell died Loading it up right now). Even with all of these being used. Got two desktops with them in it as well all of them still show good life. The three 40gb that some one had in some kind of raid before upgrading are the only ones that showed any real wear at all. Still it's only down 2 to 3% from 100% life span.

7. toughasnails

Reputations:
  8. Azrial

Azrial Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I am kind of leaning towards the Samsung 840 250GB based on what I have read and what has been said here. At $165 including S&H, it looks like the winner, plus it is newer design then the SanDisk Ultra Plus SSD. I am also considering buying the extended 3 year warranty for $20. From what I have read here this looks like a lunch or two skipped. well spent.

Pros, cons, phrase, flames?

9. toughasnails

Reputations:
    That's a good price, newegg wanted twice that (only 2 years @ $34.00)

10. Azrial

Azrial Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Thanks, that looks like an interesting site! I just read this article and they really liked the Samsung! So, I think I'll drop the hammer in the next few minutes and get that one. Thanks for any and all help!

Here are the cheapest prices I have found for both drives on the Internet!

256GB SanDisk Ultra Plus - Priced at $159.99 with free shipping (till ???)

250GB Samsung 840 - Priced at $164.94 With FREE Shipping! (till August 24, 2013)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.