Your opinion about running 2 AV program?

Discussion in 'Security and Anti-Virus Software' started by Sanage, Jun 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sanage

Sanage Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks very much for your suggestion.

2. Tsunade_Hime

Tsunade_Hime such bacon. wow

Reputations:
    As stated, 2 active AV programs will cause issues, your machine can lock up, slow down, as well as refuse to boot (2 AV programs fight for control of the computer). I've seen ANY combination cause your OS not to boot, you'll just get 7B BSOD. Anti-malware works different, in fact I highly recommend Malwarebytes and an AV.

3. Gandalf_The_Grey

Gandalf_The_Grey Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    But even for Malwarebytes Pro (active protection as opposed to the free version) you have to makes exclusion in combo wth some AV programs.
    See their forum: FAQ - Common Issues, Questions, and their Solutions - Malwarebytes Forum
    Highly recommend Malwarebytes and Hitmanpro as second opinion scanner.
    Malwarebytes : Free anti-malware, anti-virus and spyware removal download
    Hitman Pro 3 - SurfRight

4. Sanage

Sanage Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Yes, correctly, one anti-virus program and anti-malware program with no real-time protection.

5. squawkBirds

squawkBirds Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I used to run Microsoft Security Essentials with Spyware Doctor from the Google Pack. It served me well, but now I'm running MSE by itself.

6. Jarhead

Jarhead 恋の♡アカサタナ

Reputations:
    No problems running MSE and Malwarebytes (the non-real-time version). No problems.

7. evil_mike

evil_mike Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Sorry, late to the party here - there's a difference between a product like Malwarebytes and, say MSE or Norton. MWB (free edition) doesn't hook into the OS kernel and doesn't intercept system calls like "traditional" antimalware software. That's why you can have, say, Norton Internet Security and MalwareBytes installed on a machine at the same time. My guess is the paid MWB probably adds more traditional detection methods into the mix (realtime scanning), which will cause issues with other security software.

TLDR: never ever ever install two antimalware products that have realtime scanning. Bad juju.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.