Your operating times

Discussion in 'Panasonic' started by chatumao, Jan 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gear6

Gear6 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    my CF-30C (mk1) has 7400hrs on it, 95% abused by some telecom workers. Backlight is still good for sunlight viewing, original Hitachi 80GB disk has no issues;
    after I'll switch to ssd, it should be completely silent (maybe except the humming/buzzing/etc low volume noise coming from the speaker (no audio playing of course).

2. ajkula66

ajkula66 Courage and Consequence

Reputations:
    I own a couple of ThinkPads that are definitely past that mark by quite a margin.

As for my own ToughBooks...under 1,000 on my work-issued CF-31, and about 3,000 on my personal CF-W7...but one of the CF-52s I sold last year had something like 12,000...and very little wear to show for it...

3. Alecgold

Alecgold Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hmm, I only have 2860 hours on my 19. But it's just over one year old.
    Usual laptops wouldn't last much longer than 10-12 months.
    And I used the 19 much, much more and much longer.

On the other side, If I use the 19 for 4 years I'll be over the 10k hours mark!

4. ohlip

ohlip Toughbook Modder

Reputations:
    Its no matter to me as long as your unit keep running. The integrity of pansonic toughbook rely into housing coz the chassis that not to tend to bend specially during the long period of operation are reliable than those commercialized laptop out ther which are mostly made of plastic that tend to bend with respect to its mobo. So, when it happned the soldered on mobo. specially on the BGA chipset are started to cracked or maybe full blown separation.

ohlip

The rock solid chassis of the machine is the foundation of having a long lasting operation of the machine. Thats the secret.

5. SHEEPMAN!

SHEEPMAN! Freelance

Reputations:
    10,000 meh!:D

IMG_0178.resized.JPG

6. xboxhaxorz

xboxhaxorz Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    keep in mind if i left my unit on for 8000 hrs versus turning it off/ on every 24 hrs for 3000 hrs would cause more stress on the unit due to the cool down heat up effect

7. orange_george

orange_george Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Yeah....at 30k plus hours Driller is "On the Money"....until you mention "Operating Environment" & "SBC" in the same breath....then you say "4k hours maximum". :)

If your not sure who "SBC" are, the search function should reveal how to test a Toughbook to destruction. :)

8. Shawn

Shawn Crackpot Search Ninja and Options Whore

Reputations:
    I have to disagree. My SBC cf29's have been decent high hour units. My AT&T cf30 is also a decent unit.

9. orange_george

orange_george Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I have to disagree.:p

I've no doubt you have used your knowledge & experience to buy the right unit at the right price but....how representative is a unit used by an office jockey or a supervisor compared to the average unit?

I recall TopCop having three or more good clean units with zero faults....I recall Toughbook & Alex wouldn't touch them with a barge pole....I also recall toughasnails spitting his coffee across a clean touchscreen when I suggested that Booboo has had a unit for sale for two years & reduced the price every week until someone unknowingly bought an ex-SBC unit. :D:D

Retaining my original point....30k hours on top of a desk is different to three years in the field. :)

10. Shawn

Shawn Crackpot Search Ninja and Options Whore

Reputations:
    Well, by the way the housing on this cf30 was damaged, I am certain it wasn't a desk jockey.:D
    You are correct in using my knowledge for discretion in what to buy. Average Joe may not have a clue.
    I don't think being a SBC or not being an SBC matters. It is on an individual basis. There are many locations and users that are much worse than in a telco truck. SBC gets a bad reputation due to the fact they sold so many at the same time. They flooded the market and like most things, people complain about the bad things. They never make comments when things are good.
    I personally don't think New*gg would have sold them retail if they are all that bad.