Your first TOUGHBOOK

Discussion in 'Panasonic' started by jtstealthuser, Apr 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Silver Trooper

Silver Trooper Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    CF-07 had a 300MHz processor. Your money would be better spent on a CF-18 with its swivel the screen.

2. Old Git

Old Git Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Of course you are right Aaron - it was a 133 Mhz processor - but it was a very long time ago, so you will have to excuse the precursors of senility. I didn't achieve those dizzy speeds until I got my first cf-27!

3. 93formulalt1

93formulalt1 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    My first (and only, so far) Toughbook is a CF-28, 800mHz PIII, 512mb RAM, wi-fi, touchscreen, backlit keyboard, upgraded the floppy to a CD-RW/DVD-ROM drive, soon to install more RAM and maybe do the internal USB mod and install GPS. It's being used for vehicle tuning right now, but I also use it places where my MacBook won't fare too well.

4. Azrial

Azrial Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Duh, well I guess that my memory is starting to go as well! ;)

I guess that my brain cross wired 133MHZ and 166MMX and misremembered it as a 233MMX.

This is pretty funny as I was recently thinking of acquiring one and taking advantage of the split core MMX voltage to try and run a AMD K6 400MHz+ in one.

That would have been a huge waste of time and money! :laugh:

5. cyrilng

cyrilng Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Got a CF-WY about a year ago & still loving it. Specs-Intel Core2Duo U7700 1.33Ghz, 3GB DDR2, 250GB, DVD-RW, Win7Pro.

6. mnementh

mnementh Crusty Ol' TinkerDwagon

Reputations:
    Mine was a Cf-28 Mk1. Soon it will get a preschooler OS (I'm toying with Edubuntu, Kiddix or Qimo) thanks to ToughBook & PsychoThrasher's help, but was actually hoping maybe for something less annoying to build, like maybe a GUI shell for DOS. I like what I've seen with Qimo; but NONE of these OSes are designed to take full advantage of the touchscreen.

We shall see; I may just suck it up and put a kiddie trackball on the Home Theater PC.

mnem
    Shhh.

7. TopCop1988

TopCop1988 Toughbook Aficionado

Reputations:
    That's called Windows 3.11. :wink:

8. Azrial

Azrial Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Well I still use Dosshell, plus there is always DRDOS!

9. Rob

Rob Toughbook Aficionado

Reputations:
    I started with a CF-29 the beginning of my Junior year of high school back in 2004. I acquired about 5 laptops over the last 2 years and I decided that I didn't need 5 laptops. I sold the all to my company and acquired $2700. I then purchased a brand new CF-29 for $2250 and quickly upgraded it with the emissive backlit keyboard, multimedia battery and DVD-RW drive. I have been hooked ever since and have since started toughbooktalk.com as well :)

10. TopCop1988

TopCop1988 Toughbook Aficionado

Reputations:
    DOS Shell: I had completely forgotten about it!

From Wikipedia:

DOS Shell Problems
    There are several reasons why the shell fell out of use:

*It was incapable of multitasking. It could only switch between programs running in memory, and even then the system would still take a significant performance hit. All the running programs had to fit into conventional memory, as there was no support for paging to disk.

*Windows 3.x, with its own graphical user interface, became much more popular among computer users. Windows was capable of multitasking. System performance was much higher, with complete access to ]he system's RAM.
    Oh, yes: old "Doctor DOS" (actually, Digital Research DOS ;)). It is still available.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.