You could repair an IMac Pro. . .

Discussion in 'Apple and Mac OS X' started by Terreos, Jul 29, 2018.

1. Terreos

Terreos Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:

So much of this makes my head hurt. Even though there are some slotted parts that could be repaired or replaced, Apple seems to treat the machine is if everything is soldiered to the board.

Ugh.

hmscott likes this.
  2. TheReciever

TheReciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    Steve Jobs would likely be angry as hell. Considering he saw the same flaws in other companies that Apple now basically displays to the world now.

Starlight5, kojack and Terreos like this.
  3. Terreos

Reputations:
    Go figure he knew this and this is what happens after he past away.

4. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I love my iPhone 6s. The best iPhone apple has created. After the 6s, they started removing ****, changing stuff for the sake of changing it. I.E. 3.5mm jack (used for more than headphones), fingerprint reader, home button (needed for IOS), iPhone x is a big step backwards. The notch is DUMB, and its hilarious that all the android phone companies are copying this stupid design. Thank god I can put a new battery in my 6s, and use it for another 3 years before HAVING to switch again because of OS incompatability.

I don't know what my next phone will be, but with the removal of the fingerprint sensor etc, it won't be an apple.

5. TheReciever

TheReciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    I never liked Apple phones, I still hold interest for the MacBook 2012 though. To each their own of course, I don't have a notch, never cared for it. I have the LG v20dds

6. electrosoft

electrosoft Tick Tock Clarice....

Reputations:
    I've been using an iPhone X since January and it does feel like a step backwards. The notch isn't a non-starter but it makes no sense and disrupts the full screen experience. Face ID is as slow, if not slower, than touch ID and annoying to have to hold the phone up to use. In addition, it fails daily and doesn't constantly poll after failure which means I have to go into standby mode and wake up to try it again. I've adapted, but I miss touch ID. The delay with Bluetooth and headphones while typing with audio on is beyond annoying.

Starlight5 likes this.
  7. RampantGorilla

RampantGorilla Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Apple was doing the same **** even when Steve Jobs was still at Apple, but not to the same extent as they are today. For example take the 2008 MBP where the nvidia GPUs in that laptop would consistently fail. Apple refused to repair laptops that wouldn't boot up into MacOS despite the fact that a system with a bad GPU would not be able to do this. This is only one example in Apple's long history of screwing over customers. Watch this video for more examples.

I think two things changed after Steve Jobs died. The first thing that changed is that Apple no longer innovates - they haven't created a revolutionary product since the iPad in 2010. The second change is that Apple products no longer lead their respective product segments; e.g. the iPhone X is not the best smartphone around, it's simply one of the best. Despite all of this, there are some things that Apple does better than everybody else, namely chip design and their software.

Starlight5 likes this.
  8. Terreos

Reputations:
    I’ve only just got into Rossman’s videos and it never disappoints me. Some of the stories he’s told in his videos terrify me. Especially the “Don’t ruin your experience” video. Where if your Mac wasn’t working right that you were more or less told you were using it wrong. I can’t wrap my head around how people can except such a thing?

Yeah that is a good point. I guess that was kind of inevitable though. You can only push so far ahead of everyone else before you catch up to technologies limits. Although if Steve Jobs was still around maybe we would have iPhones implanted into our retinas by now.

9. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I don't know about the iPhone retina, but we would have WAY better iphones than that crappy x.

electrosoft likes this.
  10. Aroc

Aroc Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    My own thoughts and experiences with Apple and AppleCare parallel a lot of what Linus and Louis are saying.

• First, it's hard to something get parts or to convince them to repair things for second or third times for colleagues Apple machines.
    • Second, it often takes way more charm, charisma, and a little tenacity to get Apple to *convince* themselves to sell you a part or perform some warranty repairs.
    • #1 and #2 above a just plain ridiculous compared with Dell or Thinkpad warranty or parts sales.

For:
    • Apple Macbook Pro 15 and 17s (2006, 2007) with NVIDA GPUs that would fail, multiple times (CAD work or engineering simulations, so they were run HARD).
    • Apple Macbook Pro 17 (2010) failures.
    • Apple MacBook Pro 15 (2011+) failures.

Rossmann is absolutely right that the fanboys or forum posters will tell you that you're using a laptop wrong and you can't run them hard like that, despite that's Apple advertised you could use them for that purpose.

But no. I have to take the 'no' not that they're tell me (us) no, it's just that I haven't charmed them or talked to the right person to convince them to honor their warranty or make right on the purchase. I'm here totally shaking my head "yes" that I have had to call a guy who-knows-a-guy who-knows-a-guy to get a part sent to me under-the-cover-of-darkness. :eek::rolleyes: And quite frankly, that is/was ridiculous.