1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Yoga 2 Pro yellow color BIOS fix now available!

Discussion in 'IdeaPad & Essential' started by mitchellvii, Nov 15, 2013.

1. mitchellvii

mitchellvii Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
  2. Mds2004

Mds2004 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Those of you updating and who didn't read full instructions don't freak out if your screen is on black and keyboard light is on.

If you find your computer is shut down with keyboard backlight on, you can keep press the power button longer than 8S and press the power button again to start the computer. The BIOS should be installed properly.

3. crazylilazn

crazylilazn Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I'll be installing this shortly, but if anybody could do a rough battery estimate in the meantime it'd be much appreciated.

4. josetheman37

josetheman37 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    It seems that this makes some people's fan run crazy or something? What's messed up is that some of these people said that the original yellow didn't really bother them, but now the fan does! I would hold off on this if you are okay with your current colors no?

5. PixelFox

PixelFox Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Fans are quiet even under load here after the update.

PF.

josetheman37 likes this.
  6. Mds2004

Reputations:
    Same here. No complaints and yellow is good now. Battery life seems the same, which is much better after undervolting.

7. PatrickMcCabe

PatrickMcCabe Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I possibly missed this in another thread, by undervolting, are you referring to some 3rd party app which can undervolt the cpu to save power?

8. Mds2004

Reputations:
    Fam Money likes this.
  9. kjtufano

kjtufano Newbie

Reputations:
    I have downloaded and installed the BIOS update and the Energy manager. There is no change to the appearance of yellow. Suggestions? I have already confirmed that the BIOS update was successful.

coques likes this.
  10. sa_les_ski

sa_les_ski Newbie

Reputations:
    I have the same issue. Ran the update, confirmed it updated, still have a poor yellow display.

11. peteristhegreat

peteristhegreat Newbie

Reputations:
    After doing the BIOS update and the Energy Manager Update, you have to change adjust the Energy Manager to high performance mode for it to take effect.

(You can get to it by the little black battery icon in the system tray.)

energy-manager.jpg

Then after the tutorial windows, go to the rocket icon on the far right, and ta-da, the yellow looks a lot better.

12. Jeff44

Jeff44 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I did the two updates and now think it may have been a mistake. Even on high performance mode I don't notice a difference in the color yellow (though the yellow problem never bugged me to begin with). However, the changes I made seem to have affected the brightness range of my screen. Seems like the middle range of brightness is much less bright than it used to be; I used to keep my brightness around 40-50%, but that now seems way too dim. I now go prefer it around 80-100%. Am I wrong or is the upper limit much lower than it used to be? I also found something else that, even though it is not a negative, seems to confirm that the brightness range is different than it used to be. Prior to the updates when I would turn the brightness all the way down the screen would actually turn off. This was something that wasn't necessary and prompted user complaints (there is a screen off button if you need that function) but it seems to confirm that the new BIOS update changed the brightness range. Am I wrong on these issues, that the screen is now less bright? I didn't get a fix for the yellow and now I like my brightness range less. Can I go back to the previous BIOS version? If so, how do I do that?

In case it matters, when I installed the new BIOS the keyboard light stayed on for a long time (left it more than 10 minutes) and I thought I should not hold the power button because the computer was still on (screen was black but on and computer was running). After a long time I figured I was at the point where I needed to hold the power button down for 8 seconds as some instructed. In the instructions people seemed to indicate that the screen and the computer were both off and just the keyboard was on so I want to make sure I didn't make a mistake. Thanks for the help.

13. lead_org

lead_org Purveyor of Truth

Reputations:
    the update didn't really improve the yellow colour profile all that much. But given the battery life of this machine even at 70% brightness, i think it is a tradeoff that i am prepared to pay.

14. mstrmdr

mstrmdr Newbie

Reputations:
    Same here. No change in yellow color and system info shows BIOS Version/Date Lenovo 76CN38WW, 6/27/2014