Yet another reason not to use Avast

Discussion in 'Windows OS and Software' started by Token CDN, Jan 27, 2020.

1. Token CDN

Token CDN Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Starlight5, inm8#2 and Papusan like this.
  2. Tinderbox (UK)

Tinderbox (UK) BAKED BEAN KING

Reputations:
    Make sure to untick this crap as well.

[​IMG]

Starlight5 and inm8#2 like this.
  3. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    More info about Avast Malware from my thread. ONE VENDOR'S RISE AND FALL!

About time people wake up and finally can see what cancer company Avast has become. They bought up AVG and Piriform (CCleaner) to be able to collect as much info they can about the users. Free or paid from this company should be avoided. None should support this.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/antivirus-summary-report-2018.827396/page-3#post-10888467
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Of course this isn't nothing new....

Avast spies on HTTPS connections
    Published on 30. August 2019 by Günter Born
    [​IMG]
    Anyone installing an Avast antivirus solution on their Windows system should expect their HTTPS connections to be monitored. It is well known that anti-virus providers read the HTTPS connections. Avast seems to have been using a new technology for a week - and has caught on a developer version of Chrome with it.
    Why bother with this? None should install it! And neither AVG who is from same company.

Avast and AVG collect and sell your personal info via their free antivirus programs
    The report alleges that Avast and AVG are collecting personal information and sending it to Jumpshot, a subsidiary that provides information on every "search, click and buy" you make to corporate clients.

"Avast says information collection is opt-in, and an opt-out option will be added soon"

No thanks!

Last edited: Jan 27, 2020
    Starlight5, inm8#2, hmscott and 2 others like this.
  4. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    AVG and Avast should not even exist. ESET, Kasperski and just ordinary Windows Defender are good enough if you need an antivirus/antimalware program.

Starlight5 and inm8#2 like this.
  5. Starlight5

Starlight5 Don't call me Chris, my name is Elvis

Reputations:
    Please recommend a good guide on configuring Windows Defender.

Mr. Fox likes this.
  6. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    There really isn't a lot to configure. I disable scanning on everything except the C:\ drive. I also disable Controlled Folder Access (ransomware protection) because I don't like the stupid crap it does with permissions on files that I want to change, move or delete. Since I am diligent about creating offline Macrium Reflect images, I'm not concerned about the extremely remote possibility of ransomware. If that happens to me, I will simply nuke the drive with Diskpart and restore a clean image. No fuss, no muss. And, I don't use Defender (or anything else) on any of my benching OS installations. I only run it on my Windows 10 Enterprise 1909 crash test dummy OS. Even on that OS, I toggle it on/off at will using the Defender Control utility.

Starlight5 and Papusan like this.
  7. Tinderbox (UK)

Tinderbox (UK) BAKED BEAN KING

Reputations:
  8. killkenny1

killkenny1 Too weird to live, too rare to die.

Reputations:
    Haven't used Avast since my last days of Windows XP, so it's around 2009. That year I received Windows 7 laptop and just used Defender.
    My parents still have it, I think, but I plan to downgrade them to Windows 10, and I will just leave Defender for them as well...

And every one else has already leaked and/or sold your data before them...

Papusan, Tinderbox (UK) and Mr. Fox like this.
  9. StormJumper

StormJumper Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I've used MSE to Defender from Microsoft and have no problems. Here are a first thing you can do to protect without a A/V
    1. Password Protect the Admin/Owner account-only to login to update
    2. Create Limited account and use that for your everyday account-prevents unauthorized installs without Admin privileges.

Just these two options is what alot of users forget-the account you first setup is the Admin/Owner account and once virus/malware breaks through that forget any A/V from protecting you. If user just stop and think whom are they giving access to would you leave your door unlock-most would say no then why are you keeping your computer unprotected with just two simple steps????

3. Then you can install the A/V-if you have Windows 10 then Defender is FREE for owners so why are you not using it?

There are more blocking from Browers adblocker to hosts blocker to stop ReDirects and Popups but I'll leave that for something else as posting that will take more time then what is mentioned here.

10. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    Easiest and most hassle-free solution for web browsing is to use Brave browser. It's based on Chrome and will import all of your passwords and favorites, etc.

upload_2020-1-28_9-40-33.png

Papusan and steberg like this.