Yet another AW17 r1 upgrade question

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by Primate23, Oct 16, 2018.

1. EepoSaurus

EepoSaurus Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    It is easy. It's been done so it is old ground.

2. M18x-oldie

M18x-oldie Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Sure bout that? Mine was of a 680m and needed dremeling.

3. TheReciever

TheReciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    680m was never an option for the ranger so I'm not surprised when it needs additional effort.

4. EepoSaurus

EepoSaurus Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Yeah the 780m and 880m were the only options for 100watt heatsink or a 3pipe. Shouldnt need any dremel work but might

5. M18x-oldie

M18x-oldie Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Ok, mine is a m17x r4. Thought the heatsinks were designed the same as 680/780m cards have the same layout.

6. Primate23

Primate23 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    No doubt I’ll be asking more specific questions to correct whatever I do that has caused things to go catastrophically wrong...

7. Primate23

Reputations:
    Ok, Been a while since my last post on this thread, unfortunately my motherboard died, and I had to get that replaced, which I was able to do for about A$250.

I’m ready to go ahead a with this upgrade, but I’m wondering whether to just pull the pin, sell it and buy something new. Given where the Aussie dollar is right now, a GTX1060 from Woodstack’s site would run me close to A$900 delivered. :(

If I do go ahead with the upgrade, can anyone here advise me what I need to do ahead of time? Current specs are:

AW17 ranger, 4800MQ GTX780M, 16GB RAM, 120HZ screen.

Bios is version 16 (latest) and integrated intel graphics are NOT detected in bios. (Will this cause any issues before I’m able to load new drivers?)

I’m after the simplest, closest to plug and play style upgrade I can do. No case modification or CPU upgrade, if that’s the route to take I’m just going to part with my beloved machine.

8. Maxware79

Maxware79 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I'm assuming the integrated graphics aren't detected because you've got the 120hz screen. It can only run on a dedicated card.

I'm in Adelaide and I share your Aussie dollar issues. I'd love to get a card from Woodstack but the cost is crazy. I am going to try the Taobao route as I can get a 1070 for under $700AUD and hopefully they can get it to me without the import duty and GST. The 'Dell' card does not require any chassis modification.

I have been tossing up between flipping the machine or doing the upgrade as well. I have decided on the upgrade. I recently got it off ebay for about $350 including delivery but it had a dead 880M and no memory or HDD/SSD.

9. Primate23

Reputations:
    From my reading on another thread, the R1 never offered an 880M stock. Are you sure it’s the same machine?

10. Maxware79

Maxware79 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    The 17 originally came out with the 780M but then got the upgrade to the 800 series. It even has the little plaque on the base plate saying 880M. I replaced the dead 880M with one of my 780M's to get it running again.