Yes the 940GML can be upgraded past the Celerons!

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by paulicat, Aug 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. paulicat

paulicat Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello to everyone here.
    I have been searching for this info for quite some time as my HP DV1708NR notebooks Celeron 410 was running WAY too hot for my liking. I'd just like to share my findings in case someone else is looking for a way to get out of Celeron hell.
    The 940GML is listed as not supporting any cpu besides the Celeron. This is INCORRECT. I bought a Core Solo T1350 cpu off ebay and it runs perfectly on the 940GML chipset.
    Most importantly, yes I have full Speedstep support from 800mhz to 1.83ghz.
    I can post images if proof is required.

The next thing I'm going to try is a T2050 or T2250 cpu as these are the duo version of my solo (they all run at 533 which is the key for 940gml).

Regards.

2. itlynstalyn

itlynstalyn Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Are you sure that it the chipset is the 940GML? When I bring up my device manager it states that the chipset is the 945GM. Did you use a HP chip when upgrading? Let me know how it goes with the T2050 and T2250. I am very interested in upgrading my laptop also.

3. paulicat

Reputations:
    Yes, 100% its a gml, I've seen the chipset myself when I went to replace the CPU.
    As for which CPU, I just bought the first T1350 I saw off ebay. I don't know which manufacturers laptop it came from though.
    For the record, I can't say when I'm going to try the coreduo swap, but if anyone else is going to try it, please post here!

4. itlynstalyn

Reputations:
  5. Charuto

Charuto Newbie

Reputations:
    I've tried the T2050 and T2250. They both DO NOT work. The machine powers on but the display stays black (as in does not turn on at all). I haven't tried the pentium dual cores, but someone from another forum says that the T2060 yields the same result.

6. paulicat

Reputations:
    Thanks Charuto, at least now I know not to bother with those coreduos.

itlynstalyn, I'm thinking our models bios just doesn't have support for the duo. :(

7. moon angel

moon angel Notebook Virtuoso NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    Shame, sweet upgrading work though!

8. itlynstalyn

Reputations:
    Charuto, just out of curiosity did you use an oem chip? I am actually leaving a comment on my T1350 swapped 940GML chipset. Ahh the joys of my computer not burning my lap!

9. Charuto

Charuto Newbie

Reputations:
    The T2050 and T2250 I used were bought from ebay. The listing indicated that they were pulled from other notebooks.

10. j0rdy

j0rdy Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    a note to some of you - cpus released after a laptop was shipped will most likely require a 'bios update' in order to support the new cpus.

Typically motherboard manufacturers such as Asus and so on are good with this - i.e. they just keep making bios updates for the highest compatability of all their products. HP on the otherhand - they sold you a laptop (which is considered a package to them) that they considered somewhat static - as in it would barely change in terms of hardware besides RAM and HDD size; in essence, it's unlikely that they would provide 'those kinds' of bios updates - but more rather ones that fixes certain hardware issues (even these are hard to come by because HP is slow at updates).

- Jordan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.