Y580 Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Yoga, IdeaPad & Essential' started by Syed117, Jun 21, 2012.

1. steveoccc

steveoccc Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Lenovo 120W AC Adapter(19.5V6.15A)UL | Lenovo | (US)

2. hna

hna Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    what is the intel management engine?

3. pruneguy

pruneguy Newbie

Reputations:
    So I've been having a problem with my Y580 dropping framerate during gaming (Borderlands 2 and Torchlight 2). The game would run fine at a nice 60 fps, then suddenly drop to 30 fps for a second or two, then go right back to 60 fps. This is getting really annoying, and happens very frequently.

FYI, I'm on Windows 7 x64, and using Nvidia driver 310.70

Here is a video demonstrating the problem: Lenovo Y580 Framerate drop - YouTube

4. kobby2k6

kobby2k6 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    it could be a whole bunch of things but let me suggest a few tips..

1. go to the nvidia settings and make sure that the game is set to "prefer maximum performance...

[​IMG]

or

2. make sure the computer is set to high performance (which I assume you already know but just for clarification)...right click the battery icon in the status area and go to power options. and click "change plan settings" under "High Performance"..

[​IMG]

"click Change advanced power settings" and click the "plus sign" next to "processor Power management"...change your settings to match what I have in the screenshot.

[​IMG]

or

3. disable the "energy management.exe" at startup for battery management..Lenovo's built in battery management can sometimes limit performance in games and make fps fluctuate all over the place..It is a bit weird to explain but I use a program called "CCleaner" to disable this part of the Lenovo Energy Mangement..fan control and the "touch buttons" above the keyboard will still work...look at the screenshot below to see what I mean...the greyed out one called "Energy management" is disabled and the "energyUtility" is active and allows control for the fan and touch buttons for our computers..

[​IMG]

p.s. Hope this helps, I used to have this issue about a year ago when I first had it..I think the turbo boost is active and makes the cpu overheat which can affect fps of the games as well..

5. ssri

ssri Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
  6. steveoccc

steveoccc Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Nice bunch of tips. I've had issues but they all went away when I updated to Win 8.

7. hangtime21

hangtime21 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello guys, I've been enjoying my Y580 for quite some time now but I've been wondering. I tried to upgrade my drivers from the stock 295.55 to the newer ones 304.79 and 310.70 but noticed the fps was lower; min, max, and average. I tried benchmarking it with fraps on me3 on the docking station of the citadel (if anyone is familiar) where there are a lot of npc's. This was done a month ago or whenever the 310.70 came out. Is this something with the game, drivers, I dunno what else?

*edit: I've already tried different settings such as maximum performance and the lot. All tests were done on same settings with 4xmsAA and such.

8. kobby2k6

kobby2k6 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I did a clean install of windows 7 about a year ago to fix these issues a while ago..I think the problem is intel turbo boost has issues with lenovo Y470 and lowering the cpu to 90% to fix it..

p.s. I installed windows 8 about a month ago and I love it..way better than win 7..uses less ram, better performance and faster boot..i use "start8" and I don't miss windows 7 at all.. and too Y470 and Y570 owners than plan to migrate to Win8 in the future..one key recovery won't work anymore ( i don't miss it since I use "Easeus Todo backup Free" which is way better imo)..

9. Glock3am

Glock3am Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    There's a new BIOS update out, with the following change:

This could be very interesting... I have had a few BSODs and complete lockups with garbled sound from time to time, so hopefully this is the fix!

BIOS Update for Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit, 64-bit) - IdeaPad Y480, Y580

10. Theme57

Theme57 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Mine comes in tomorrow and I cant wait.