Y540 17" vs Mech 17 (hidevolution Evoc) vs MSI GP75

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by dapi, Sep 21, 2019.

1. dapi

dapi Newbie

Reputations:
    I wanted to buy the mech 17 but because Im located in Canada BC Id have to import the Evoc 17gk7 which is pretty much the same laptop from hidevolution. Then pay about 2000 CAD (1500usd) because of taxes (12%) and shipping to Canada ($99). The version Im looking at is with the 1660Ti and no ram and hd $1229usd. I already have a ssd and can buy the ram here so I dont get taxed more. Also read there is a small discount on hidevolution for forum members here there but not sure if thats true.

I looked at the 17" alternatives and I can get the Y540 17" with a rtx2060 for 1640CAD (1240USD) here in Canada or the GP75 on sale for 1800CAD (1360USD) with a 1660Ti. They both come with 16gb of ram and the i7 9750h.

What I really care about the most is the screen quality, small bezels and thermals. They all have 144hz panels but different models and from what Ive seen lenovo is using a worse panel than msi.

The y540 only has 3 heatpipes and I see many people complaining about the cpu overheating while the gp75 has 7. Not sure on the thermals of the gp75 though but I think the cpu tdp is limited to 45W only while it can boost to 60w on the lenovo.

I am not buying a laptop to get a desktop replacement but buying to get a portable 17 inch computer and thats why I dont wanna go over 1400 usd

Please help me decide if its worth it to pay that much more for the Evoc 17gk7 (mech 17). If not should I go for the gp75 9sd or y540?

2. Lamim Rashid

Lamim Rashid Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The Y540 is the best deal if you're in Canada. I was in the exact same boat looking at the same laptops as you. You're also forgetting brokerage fees and such. Also get a preconfigured Y540 with the TSM10 coupon instead of a custom configured one because the TSM10 coupon will give you a much bigger discount. The other thing you've missed is that you get 10% ebates from https://www.rakuten.ca/lenovo-canada if you order from lenovo canada and a bonus 5% discount if you're a student or teacher with id.me (7% if you're army), making even the Y740 a possible option too if you want to spend roughly $250 more for gsync, hdr, bigger battery, better cooling and aluminum. Also the cooling on the Y540 isnt as bad as people make it seem, it's just the fan curve is very conservative and favors quietness over cooling, this can be easily worked around with some tweaking like undervolting, repaste or even just blasting the fans.