Y510p Usb 3.0 drop out...

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by Hauptplatine, Sep 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hauptplatine

Hauptplatine Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hey I've had my Y510p for a few months now. In general I like the laptop despite some major flaws.

However I'm getting fed up with USB 3 devices dropping out.

I have 3 different USB 3 devices that all experience some sort of drop-out when connected via EITHER of the 2 USB 3.0 ports on the left side of my laptop.

I have:
    16GB Sandisk Extreme USB 3.0 stick.
    1TB Samsung M3 USB 3.0 Drive
    1TB Unbranded External USB 3.0 HDD caddy for 2.5" drive

Now basically, my problem is simple.
    I connect any of the devices to the laptop via either of the ports and after a certain period of time. They wil drop-out or disconnect. Usually re-connecting instantly afterwards, just to disconnect and reconnect repeatedly.

At first I figured it was a power issue. So I started connecting my unbranded 1TB caddy to 2 of the USB 3.0 ports to give it more current.
    But it STILL gets disconnects. However they seem to be less frequent. The other USB 3 caddy cannot be plugged into 2 ports, and it disconnects randomly too, perhaps far more than the other devices. The same happens with the Sandisk 16GB USB stick. It disconnects, or drops-out and sometimes it says "A USB device malfunctioned"

What is wrong with these USB 3 ports? I can't have THREE failing devices. The unbranded caddy is brand-new. The M3 drive is a year old and the USB stick is about 6 months old. All of them worked FINE in my PC before I sold it and never once dropped out. The M3 drive has started showing S.M.A.R.T. errors from the amount of drop-outs that it experiences whilst copying files or being in use. I am sort of worried to use both these ports because they could damage my files and my drives.

I've tried 3 different devices and 4 different cables. Could it be a power issue? Or are my ports just faulty? How can I check and fix this problem?
    I seriously want an answer to this as I experience too many problems with different aspects of this laptop, far too often.

Thanks...

mif237 likes this.
  2. mif237

mif237 Newbie

Reputations:
    Exactly same problem on my y510p. USB 2.0 works perfectly with any devices, usb 3.0 ports have issues with HDD's. Randomly on/off, there is no reason power pluged in or not.

Please help!!!

3. Hauptplatine

Reputations:
    Still getting the problem to this day and I tried updating the USB 3.0 drivers myself. I think it's just an issue with the computer and something to do with energy management or something. Even though I have it to never suspend my external devices. Real shame. Just another issue with Lenovo... :/

4. someguyatx

someguyatx Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Are you running Windows 7 or 8? The usb 3.0 drivers for Windows 8.1 were only reaching usb 2.0 speeds for me. Formatting and installing Windows 7 has resulted in much more stable usb performance.

5. Hauptplatine

Reputations:
    I'm using 8.1 I am not going back to Windows 7.

6. Jobine

Jobine Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
  7. pigulici

pigulici Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I use driver form intel website for USB 3.0, ver 2.5.3.34, on my y510p with win 7 64b, I use on USB 3 ports a usb keyboadr and a wacom tablet(on this one I find some drop out sometimes with lenovo driver)...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.