Y500 Owners and Questions Thread

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by y500, Nov 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. micman

micman Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Yes, installing the SSD is as easy as creating the recovery media, then installing your SSD and booting to the recovery media to install windows. Piece of cake.

My SLI came with 170w, my friend's non-SLI came with 120w. So has anyone actually done a clean install yet? I didn't want the hassle and wasn't convinced it would speed up the system any with how fast it already is, but if someone with experience tells me otherwise I'll reconsider.

2. dsuspense

dsuspense Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Correct, they don't sell the SLI models any more.
    I ordered a non-SLI Y500 (came with 120W power supply), an ultrabay GPU AND a 170W power adapter.
    I got the ultrabay GPU for $137 (reduced from $229) and the 170W power adapter for $79.
    So I basically saved on the price of the 170W adapter.

Y500 Removable Graphics GN36 | Lenovo | (US)

IdeaPad 170W AC Adapter (UL) | Lenovo | (US)

3. Boncrek

Boncrek Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
  4. dsuspense

dsuspense Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
  5. Soupy Twist

Soupy Twist Newbie

Reputations:
    Amazon.com: Lenovo IdeaPad Y500 15.6-Inch Laptop (Metal - Dusk Black): Computers & Accessories
    Amazon.com: Lenovo IdeaPad Y500 15.6-Inch Laptop (Metal - Dusk Black): Computers & Accessories

Only one of them comes with Core i5, the other three models have Core i7 3630QM, other difference include RAM(6/8/12/16GB), SSD cache which only the top two models have, and naturally the price.

6. Cowboykim

Cowboykim Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey everyone, I have read through the majority of this thread and picked up a LOT of great information to make sure that I get the most out of my laptop!

I just purchased the Y500 (non SLI) and a separate GPU for the SLI and the 170W adapter (didnt realize I needed to purchase separately at first, and ordering one day later, it shows a ship date 5 days later than my laptop!). Now all I have to do is wait!

I wanted to do a clean install of windows 8, and it looks like this is the best wat to do it, I am assuming? - Methodology to create Recovery Media and reload a Lenovo Think system with Microsoft Windows 8 preload

I understand the SLI setup and what drivers to install, etc. My next question was about the hard drive. I plan on replacing it, but not right away, what would be the best way to basically clone my hard drive and put everything on a new drive (probably a SSD)?

7. hyttjo

hyttjo Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Does anyone else have problems with Y500 SLI laptop switching off randomly (this is very rapid event, like all of a sudden under a micro-second screen turns black and computer is off), this happens when I'm gaming and also when I'm just browsing web or computer is idling looking nothing but desktop.

Fortunately this occurs only once in a couple of hours so nothing really serious, just annoying. I also have 170W PSU so it definitely gets enough power. And currently I have overclocked gpus but this switching off happens also with stock settings so I don't think this is related to that either.

8. Artwork

Artwork Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Do you have the latest/ 310 nvidia drivers? / I assume you do, but I remember my screen blacking out when I still had the stock drivers.

9. hyttjo

hyttjo Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Yes, 310.90 WHQL drivers are the only ones which work for me also SLI and Vsync turned on. Other drivers crash immediately when starting a game with Vsync and without Vsync screen-tearing is horrible.

10. Artwork

Artwork Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hmm strange. Which games are you playing?
    I'm running Dead space 3 / Skyrim / GW 2 all perfectly. I can't check all my other drivers right now, but maybe there's a faulty driver? - Display driver or related?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.