Y500 Owners and Questions Thread

Discussion in 'IdeaPad & Essential' started by y500, Nov 30, 2012.

1. y500

y500 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have 2 on order and shipping says Dec 7. I ordered the 8gb FHD.

Any suggestions for 16gb ram?

Any ideas about disabling and removing the 16g ssd to be replaced by a 256gb msata? Is this only a cache with no operating system files; straightforward remove and replace, and clone operating system from the 1TB HD?

Upgrade to win8 pro? Can't believe they didn't offer this stock. My understanding win 8 upgrade to win8 pro is more expensive than win7 upgrade to win8 pro. How about a clean install of win8 pro using an existing win7 key? Resource for a legal iso win8 pro download?

Will post thoughts upon receiving and first use. May just replace the HD with a 480 gb ssd and do a fresh install.

Weird that it is same size battery as 580 with 1/2 the usage time. Wonder what eats the battery so much compared to the 580?

2. Ryozaras

Ryozaras Newbie

Reputations:
    Regarding msata SSD transfer I gave my full thoughts on that here, but long story short if you're cloning OS you should be fine.

Don't expect clean install of the OEM OS unless you have a W8 OEM disc handy and can get past the bios automatic license plug. Win7 -> Win8 Pro should of worked but the OEM kicks in and doesn't let you use the upgrade ISO. I'm not sure if the full pro version of Win8 will let you bypass the license as I haven't tried it myself yet.

So until someone figures out how to bypass the OEM license on the bios you are better off just cloning the OS on your ssd.

@Ram: I heard G.Skill ram works fine with the current model. Cheapest choice for easy 16gb ram.

3. y500

y500 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks for the reply.
    Wasn't aware of the locked bios oem thing. This would suk big time if lenovo didn't allow upgrades. Guess I should have researched a bit more before purchasing. Why would they do such a thing? Hopefully there is a way around it.

I am fond of GSkill RAM anyway so that sounds like a plan. I am leaning towards a 480 GB SSD and will just yank the lame 16gb and will just clone until a clean install route is figured out. Had hoped to do this initially. I guess revo uninstaller to get rid of the bloatware until a clean install can be had.

4. alathon

alathon Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Anyone tested Windows 7 stability on this yet? I have no interest in Windows 8 and I'll need to test certain things in Windows 7 anyway.

5. y500

y500 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Received my nice shiny new good-looking state of the art BROKEN y-500 today. Crap. Broken screen and would not boot up. poor quality control. Lenovo said I would receive a response within 5 days about a new order. Sheesh, it didn't take longer than 5 days to receive the broken one after I ordered it originally. Who knows how long this process is going to be.

6. mohammadbawany

mohammadbawany Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    hi i got my y500 today and i seem to have noticed that the battrey lock switch has come off can anyone help me fix this also is it a big issue worth going through lenovo coustomer support
    thanks guys for helping me out
    btw the laptop is epic ... the speakers are by far the best i have seen on a laptop

7. CC0080

CC0080 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    @y500 that really sucks about receiving your laptop broken. That's not cool how they're making you wait 5 days to address this issue. There's no reason they shouldn't be sending you a return label and shipping out a replacement ASAP. If you can call them up again and escalate your case. I've dealt with Lenovo before and you have to fight tooth and nail to get them to do right by you. Their support can be atrocious. If you escalate it enough you can have them ship out your new y500 even before they receive the broken one - which is what they should have offered already.

@mohammadbawany that doesn't sound good and seems like a defect. There are two battery lock switches and if either one is unlocked then that side of the battery will be loose making it an unstable power source when your moving the laptop around. It will most likely be a pain to fight with Lenovo to get a replacement sent out, but it's something you might want to do now otherwise you'll have to deal with a loose battery.

8. CC0080

CC0080 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I received my y500 today (ordered on Nov. 27) and it looks + feels like a solid machine. I used to own the Y580 and can say the 500 physically "appears" to be a higher quality machine with both the design and materials. I found a side by side of both ideapads though it's in Bulgarian:

Lenovo IdeaPad Y580&Y500 - laptop.bg (Bulgarian HD) - YouTube

The Y500 red backlit keyboard is just awesome - I really didn't think I would like it that much, but in person I'm geeking out over it. I ordered it with the 1TB 5400 rpm hdd, but I put in a new Samsung 830 128gb ssd and W8 pro as soon as I got my hands on it. For those of you planning to swap out the hdd w/ an ssd you may run into an error when installing W8 that says something along the lines of "cannot install on MBR partitioned drive" or "cannot locate partition to install". If you do let me know and I can help. Now, the only problem is I cannot get onto Lenovo's site to download the drivers since their site isn't loading. I tried getting the GT650M drivers from Nvidia's site, but found out they can only be installed through the manufacturer provided driver. I seriously think Lenovo puts all their money and resources into research/development/design and their support is just an after thought lol.

9. Tekka

Tekka Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Wow i ordered on the 22nd and they delayed it 3 times already, they offered me $50 after the 2nd delay if i dont cancel and assured me it wouldn't get delayed again.... gonna have to call them again...

10. mohammadbawany

mohammadbawany Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I FIXED IT muhahahaha
    when i pulled out the battrey to repackage it i saw somethin dangling near the broken lock so i pushed the lock peice from the top and took a pencil to correct the placement of the object then i heard a loud snap. i checked to see that the lokc was in place and working like advertised.....YESSSSS
    that for the help though