Y500 GT650M Overclock

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by n1smo, Dec 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JC-Leyva

JC-Leyva Newbie

Reputations:
    hey, for anyone using a single 650m... what settings are you using on Nvidia control panel?

no matter what game I play, its capped at 31.x FPS and running anywhere from 30%-70%. I have to run it on ultra settings before I max my gpu load, but then it will drop below 30fps and it'll lag every now and again. I play on low besides a couple important ones

what drivers work the best?

2. wildcard36qs

wildcard36qs Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Sounds like you have VSync on. IF it is on and you are below 60fps, it tries to keep it at 30fps. Disable VSync and see if that solves oyur issues.

3. octiceps

octiceps Nimrod

Reputations:
    Has anyone successfully overclocked using a driver newer than 310.90 WHQL, or is this confirmed to be the last overclockable driver? I would really love to get the performance increases from the newest drivers.

On a side note, what is the latest version of Nvidia Inspector? A cursory search seems to say 1.9.6.9 but I also see references to a 1.9.7.0 beta?

4. DoMzuna

DoMzuna Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Hey guys, I´m starting with overclocking my Y500 SLI because of Arma 3 and I´ve just ran throught some 3D mark 11 test (links are below). As you can see in these results, core clock is 405 in both runs (1st run is single GPU, second is SLI). Any ideas why is that? I´ve got installed actuall nVidia drivers 314.07..

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/6136478? - Single GPU

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/6136520 - SLI

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/351661 - 3D Mark (2013) SLI

EDIT: I dont get it. I changed my clocks in nVidia inspector to 1000/2000 and look at this almost unnoticable improvement:

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/6136683

What is the reason of that??

5. octiceps

octiceps Nimrod

Reputations:
    Those results all look like stock clocks to me. Have you tried overclocking on 310.90 or earlier drivers? I've read that anything more current than 310.90 won't let you bump up the core, but I can't confirm this since I have not received my Y500 yet.

6. DoMzuna

DoMzuna Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I used to do some OC after I get my Y500, and that was with 308 drivers or something like that.. and it was all good and stable but I returned my clocks to normal because there wasn´t reason to have GPU OCed.. But now I wanna play Arma 3 and my notebook is unable to play it nice, so I need my OC back. But as you can see, it´s not working well on 314 drivers :(

7. hyttjo

hyttjo Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Don't use 314.07 drivers. My Y500 doesn't work at all with those. I have been successfully overclocked both Gpus with 310.90 drivers and I would recommend you to use that driver version until Nvidia fixes their newer drivers.

8. DoMzuna

DoMzuna Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I´ve already rolled back to 310.90 because new ones was crashing my LoL client.. now my OC should work properly.. Lets see how it will handle Arma 3..

9. JC-Leyva

JC-Leyva Newbie

Reputations:
    Problem was I had my texture settings to "Quality". When I switched to "High Performance" the fps went to 40-60+ not overclocked... and on minecraft I can't get vsync to work, my computer doesn't need to push 199fps. lol.

on 310 drivers, if I switch power profile from adaptive to preferred performance, my clock seems to get stuck even utilizing the default settings. I did a clean install of new drivers and didn't o/c them yet it will still get stuck at 790/2001

by the way, it came stock with vsync turned off. in both bf3 and my computers global settings

10. errorcore

errorcore Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    hows the temps on your laptops when overclocked to about 9++/24++

My processor reaches around 77C-92C but my Gpus are at around 68C-72C (SLI).

Is that okay for the processor or should i repaste it? or other methods? I use it with a decent cooling pad.

Thanks,