Y500 GT650M Overclock

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by n1smo, Dec 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. z3speed4me

z3speed4me Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Yea at the super OC's you guys are posting, I am seeing HIGH 80's in furmark and while playing farcry 3 for about a half hour, 85+ is common, so I have dropped them down.... ~3fps or so is not worth killing my cards. I am happy with where they are and am not trying to win some OC competition. If I want more than what this offers; I'll fire up the desktop and enjoy.

Just to note, I have my laptop on my actual lap, resting on my legs... not on a table, or a stand, or elevated, or on a cooling pad, nothing like that...... just hanging out on my cough playing games and running benchmarks. So that is part of my "higher temps cause" obviously, as I am using it as I would gather most people would. I am not gonna sit at a desk with a laptop, if I wanted to do that I would turn on my desktop....

By the way; I just ran furmark and held the pc in the air, literally for 15 minutes temps didn't go over 72 at my OC of 980/2300. I'll try again at these crazy 1100+ clocks that you guys are running, but I don't feel like holding this brick for another 15 minutes right now.

2. n1smo

n1smo Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Nice temps, better than mine ;) I think your memory can probably go much higher than 2200. At what mhz do you start seeing artifacts? Mine is at above 2600.

Here's mine running at the same speed for comparison.
    [​IMG]

And here's running at 1155/2555 which is completely stable for me with zero artifacts. I'll probably start upping the mhz a little more to find the absolute highest stable setting.
    [​IMG]

3. z3speed4me

z3speed4me Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Anyone run the Catzilla ALLbenchmark test yet?

Seems to be the new big benchmark on the block until the new 3dmark is released....
    I am going to run a test on my OC SLI settings and a single card test later when I am out of work.

4. errorcore

errorcore Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:

Can't wait!

5. Artwork

Artwork Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Wonder if it would do me any good to overclock. I don't really feel like I need it. Games run fine with SLI.
    Would I really notice the boost it might give?

6. Thorne

Thorne Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Most likely the most concrete result you can achieve is a post in some forum where you pushed your clocks 5 MHz higher than the other guy before your laptop is throttling/shutting itself! :rolleyes:

Typically it's something like 3-10% increase in performance and a terrible amount of tinkering (at least used to be).

7. n1smo

n1smo Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Screen shot from this morning. The laptop was sitting on the cooling pad but the pad was not powered. I keep it on the pad so the laptop doesn't suffocate on itself since my ottoman coffee table that the laptop sits on is made out of soft leather. Furmark really keeps the house warm.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Cordelle

Cordelle Newbie

Reputations:
    Set My Gpu to 1117 core and 2477 memory and got P3033 in 3Dmark 11 :D :D :D
    Max gpu temps was 65. maxes at 62 on default clock
    Max Cpu temps were 73.

9. errorcore

errorcore Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    any updates here ?

10. HebronCL

HebronCL Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Saving this thread to read later, very nice info :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.