Y500 GT650M Overclock

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by n1smo, Dec 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. z3speed4me

z3speed4me Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I will gladly run furmark... I will not however overclock that much. I am happy with where they are, and Once I break 1000 on the core, I started to see artifacting during the 3d11 run, so I pulled mine back to 980/2300. I also expect to keep this thing for a few years and don't want to kill anything.

I'll download and post up in a few.

2. z3speed4me

Reputations:
    Furmark: furmark.JPG

Seems it only stresses one card and not the 2nd for some reason.... either way, I ran it; 87 was max temp...that is plenty hot and I won't push these cards anymore than they are

Ran 3d 11 just for the heck of it at 1050/2450 and got the following: not a huge bump, and my physics score went down a lot for some reason...
    best oc.JPG

3. n1smo

n1smo Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Very nice. I think the reason the physics score went down is because the CPU is throttling. There's a great thread in this forum on how to use a program called ThrottleStop to prevent the CPU from throttling down. You'll get your physics score back.

4. z3speed4me

Reputations:
    Good to know... yea I just ran it two more times; best score of 4488, but physics still stuck in the 6100 range. I will look it up later and see what happens.

Seems the artifacting is gone too, maybe these things just needed to break in a little. I might keep this clock, as the temps are only 1-2C hotter, and it's obviously slightly faster.

5. rip111

rip111 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey this is my 3dmark point with oc gt650m sli:) thx for u guys:) 3dMark11.jpg

6. n1smo

Reputations:
    I thought it would be interesting to run a Furmark test at 980/2300 to see what my temperatures look like compared to your system and this is the result:

[​IMG]

I don't know what variables are different other than that I've replaced the thermal paste from the stock to AS5 but from initial analysis, it looks like that the AS5 did make a significant difference at least when compared to your system. I wish I had run Furmark before I decided to tear my laptop apart but I am almost certain that when the laptop was stock, it was cooler than it is now. This is comparing 3DMark11 demo temperatures where right now I see around 70C and back then it was in the low 60C's. This leads me to believe that in your particular case, you can benefit by reapplying thermal paste but the benefit would not outweigh the cost, which is voiding the warranty as specially with all the issues the Y500 seems to be having with keyboard/touchpad. Anyway, room temperature was a toasty 73F but I doubt ambient temperature would play a big role. The only other thought I have is that when I tested the temps when the system was stock, I had a cooling pad under it with the fan running on low. I've been on the road so no cooling pad in the recent tests, I'll run the temp tests again when I get home but I doubt it will get much better. Thinking out loud.

7. n1smo

Reputations:
    Very nice! Thanks for sharing! Also, what were your max temperatures? I only see the current temps in the picture.

I am obsessed with temperatures right now. Can you run Furmark also? ;)

8. jaug1337

jaug1337 de_dust2

Reputations:
    Very interesting thread :) +rep

9. rip111

rip111 Newbie

Reputations:
    hehe me2:p and thx:)
    So I am done with furmark. Max temp is 81 but just for 1 min the go down to 78 and stay that temp with 1100/2200 clocks. Without cooling pad. with pad its going down 5-8 celsius depending the pad quality so its crazy I think:D
    And ye furmark not using sli:(

and here we go the pic:D Furmark.png

10. rip111

rip111 Newbie

Reputations:
    Ohh and a wanna share a good tip if any1 using NvidiaInspector with some bat file just create a shortcut the bind it. ( F7 default and F8 overclock or something like that) thats rly comfort for me:)