Y500 GT650M Overclock

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by n1smo, Dec 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. b1nary

b1nary Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks for the reply! Actually, I've run heaven at the exact settings you provided. Here is the results screen:

http://i.imgur.com/eWP6M5S.jpg

2. octiceps

octiceps Nimrod

Reputations:
    Huh...that's really weird. So you have the i5 version and Windows 7. Could the big difference be due to Windows 7 vs. Windows 8? Or maybe Heaven is acting weird?

What is your 3DMark 11 score? Here is mine: NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-3630QM Processor,LENOVO INVALID

I know you have the i5 so the Physics Score and overall score would be lower, but I'd be interested to know what your GPU Score is.

3. b1nary

b1nary Newbie

Reputations:
    Sure. I will post the results when I get home.

4. b1nary

b1nary Newbie

Reputations:
    I got home and ran a few tests with different frequencies.. Seems like the sweet spot is 1000/2200 for my Y500.

Here are the 3DMark 11 results: NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M video card benchmark result - Intel Core i5-3230M Processor,LENOVO INVALID

My ASIC scores are 80.9% and 64.4% for the onboard and ultrabay, respectively.

Are these good results? What would you say the GPU performance is comparative to, card-wise?

Thanks for the help!

P.S - I went higher in frequency and saw lower scores. I read that that means you should stop clocking higher. Is this a hardware limit or is there anything I can (safely) do to get some of the clock speeds that others have gotten?

5. octiceps

octiceps Nimrod

Reputations:
    That result seems normal for your setup and clock speeds.

As far as what desktop GPU this compares to, it's hard to say for sure, but based solely on 3DMark 11 Graphics Score it's similar to GTX 560 and 650 Ti and Radeon 6870 and 7790.

The reason you saw lower scores as you increased the clock speed is due to the VRAM. GDDR5 does not crash when it is pushed past its stable limit, it just experiences decreased performance due to error detection and retransmission. This means that when overclocking GPU memory, you need to use a scored test as well as look for the traditional signs of instability, e.g. artifacting and flickering.

Overclocking the core is simply a matter of pushing it until the display driver stops responding or your system shuts down. Then back off a little until it's stable again.

You should try to see if you can get the core any higher than 1GHz without crashing. After that, you need to increase voltage, for which you need the modded BIOS and Ultrabay vBIOS. You need to take necessary measures to keep the notebook cool, such as repasting and/or using a cooling pad, as even small increases in voltage will shoot temperatures up drastically. You also need to know what you're doing as this not the safest thing to do for the lifespan of your GPU in the long term depending on how hot and how far you push it.

Personally, I am running 1120/2250 on stock voltage. For a 24/7 overclock I would suggest finding your highest stable speed without touching voltage.

The ASIC Quality numbers on my main and Ultrabay GPU's are 78.0% and 84.5% respectively. I'm pretty sure this is meaningless as far as correctly predicting overclocking headroom as my Ultrabay GPU cannot go as high as my main GPU when I overclock them individually.

I only used Unigine Heaven for stress testing when I overclocked my GPU. Don't use the synthetic fur-rendering programs like FurMark, MSI Kombustor, and OCCT. They're good for heat testing but pretty much useless as stability tests for overclocking and are likely to damage your GPU if used a lot.

6. b1nary

b1nary Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks for such a great reply. I had the system at 1100/2250 I believe, and mid-heaven the screen went blank. Not being able to ESC out or anything, I panicked and just shut the system down. I haven't tried since, worried about the health of my cards.

I'm assuming that was because it was clocked too high, but there might be the off chance it was just a one time thing. I doubt that though.

7. octiceps

octiceps Nimrod

Reputations:
    Yeah when the display driver crashes like that it means the core is too high and you need to restart the system. I went through a bunch of that before finally finding my stable limit. I went up in small increments. 20 MHz at a time for the first 200 MHz, 10 MHz for the next 100 MHz, and 5 MHz after that. Stress test in-between every increment of course. It took a lot of time and testing but I finally found my limit at +330 MHz. Then, same thing with the VRAM while keeping the core overclocked. If you reset the core and push the memory as far as you can by itself, you'll find that when you put the two together it won't be stable, so I always keep the core overclock in place when doing the memory. It's pretty easy to find the limit on the VRAM because my Heaven score dropped by 100 points when the memory was even 10 MHz over its limit.

8. Razon

Razon Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello, I'm using the 327.23 drivers with my Y500 single 650M, MSI afterburner only works increasing the Memory, but not the core, so I'm stuck with Inspector .bat files. They do increase my clocks, but when I switch back to default settings, the clocks remain at maximum speeds (790/1000Mhz). Is it possible to switch it back to true defaults that scale back the clocks depending on load (except restarting the computer of course)?

I wouldn't mind if it worked with Afterburner even for the +135Mhz, I just need to have an option to switch back to basic clocks and dynamic scaling.

9. sean6219

sean6219 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello N1smo, your guide is awesome and I have been following this thread since 2 days. I had my lenovo y500 a year ago and since I am not so good at computer, I only realized I can unlock the full potential of my sli gpu by using nvidiainspector. I just did a 3d11 test for my gpu and I only get a measly of 2600+ for Firestrike demo in unclock state. A few weeks ago, I was using my MSI afterburner as the overclocking method.

I have two questions, those bat.file you have posted can only be used after you flash the bios?( Not sure if it is the correct term) Because when I tried to manually adjust to 1100/2500 in p5 state, it just resets back to 135/405. However, I can use your files perfectly and I only realize that the files are used for P0 state?( not sure)

Another one would be, since I have two gpu, do I have to create another command line for my 2nd gpu? I tried the read the link you gave to me but they never seems to give an example or I am just plain stupid :/

If you are kind enough, can you share me your latest .bat files?

10. Edwin4tor

Edwin4tor Newbie

Reputations:
    I also have the GDDR5 version of the GT650m, right now I am running it at 1190MHz Core and 2280MHz Memory. Does anyone know if I need to adjust the Core Clock Offset? I don't know how to explain it but if you look at the screenshots you will see that the Base Core Offset is at 0 when it could be pushed to +135 but I'm not sure if that will have any effect at all since the clocks have been forced by the batch. Thanks a lot guys any advice would be appreciated.

Please can someone check if my batch command is correct:

C:\Users\Y480\Desktop\OC\nvidiaInspector\nvidiaInspector.exe -setBaseClockOffset:0,0,0 -setMemoryClockOffset:0,0,0 -setVoltageOffset:0,0,0 -setTempTarget:0,1,91 -setGpuClock:0,2,1190 -setMemoryClock:0,2,2280 -forcepstate:0,0

Screenshots:

http://i.imgur.com/YVycl0R.png

http://i.imgur.com/GAox9Ib.png

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.