Y500 GT650M Overclock

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by n1smo, Dec 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. n1smo

n1smo Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Here you go, fresh off the press. Still got 3dmark11 running in the background and PRadio playing music as I'm writing this.. LOL Room temperature is showing 69.5F from looking at the thermostat about 8 ft away from me.

[​IMG]

Here's another snapshot from just now
    [​IMG]

2. Robinnn

Robinnn Newbie

Reputations:
    @n1smo : Wow, really nice temperatures.(especially disk temperatures) And this is overlocked system ? Nice from you, that you reply to me that quicky. Thanks. I want to buy Sli version and i want to know if i can overclock both cards. Will be temperatures stable ?? I want to know your opinion.

I really appreciate if you post here quick guide how to overclock graphic cards. For example :
    1, Do this
    2, Do this

And some pictures from you will be apreciated. (notebook itself)

Thank you very much

3. n1smo

Reputations:
    Yeah, I'm very pleased with the temps. I opened the cover up last night to look at the internals and it is pretty impressive how they packaged everything. The heat pipes are huge! and the fan is so quiet. Overclocking the sli will be no issue with NvidiaInspector.

1. Download NvidiaInspector
    2. Download the .bat files from this thread and right click on it to edit to fit your directory (where NvidiaInspector is located) and desired frequencies.
    3. Double click on .bat file
    4. Enjoy.

Here's the guide on how to overclock the gpu by Mobius 1, minor changes to the .bat file had to be made to make it work on the y500.
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/gam...guide-workaround-max-clocks-oc-stability.html

As far as pictures of the exterior, there's nothing much I can add that isn't on the web already. But here's a good link for tons of info and pics:
    Y500 FHD+i7+GT650M dual GPUs@RM3799 in MY

4. pranktank

pranktank Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Would this overclock also be possible with the ultrabay gpu?

5. n1smo

Reputations:
    Yes, but won't know for sure until I get the sli setup. Hope the price for it will be reasonable or else I'll just stick with my single gpu and call it a day.

6. anticommon

anticommon Newbie

Reputations:
    n1smo, what drivers are you using? I was using the 306.0 driver from lenovo and the .bat's you gave me worked fine. Updated to 310.70 and it's kaput again.

7. n1smo

Reputations:
    I'm running 306.00 and was just about to give 310.70 a shot. Let me create a restore point first and hope it doesn't kaput on me! Will report back!

8. anticommon

anticommon Newbie

Reputations:
    I cleaned out the 310.70 drivers with driver fusion and re-installed them, all is working well... for now.

9. n1smo

Reputations:
    Do you recommend running driver fusion first to remove the 306.00 drivers? I'm still a little hesitant about updating something that as far as I can tell is not broke.. hehe

10. n1smo

Reputations:
    Ok, first, don't download driver fusion from cnet because it installed a bunch of malware along with it. Took me an hour just to get rid of all the crap it installed and then you have to pay for the full version of driver fusion in order to supposingly uninstall the driver fully. What a joke, uninstalled driver fusion. Second, 310.70 is a waste of time, no performance increase and you lose brightness control. Back to 306.00 for me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.