Y500 GT650M Overclock

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by n1smo, Dec 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. n1smo

n1smo Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    It seems stable in 3DMark11, nice and smooth and been running benchmarks back to back for a few hours now. I know that 1200mhz is a good number for my core because I could almost get it to work at stock voltage when the laptop was brand new (see first page, 2nd post). It would run through the benchmark but would crash back to desktop if I run it on a continuous loop in demo mode. I used to run the laptop continuously at 1155/2555 using Nvidia Inspector back when I was single GPU playing Far Cry 3 for 4-5 hours straight on the weekends. Don't really see the need to right now since all I'm playing is Simcity 5 but with the overvolt bios, 1200/2600 should be stable 24/7 if I wanted to run it that way. The key is this new PS, that 120w PS just wasn't cutting it. Also, seems like the 3632QM runs quite a bit cooler so I don't get into any real temp issues. I've also replaced the thermal grease (AS5) back in January but seemed like that actually ruined my temps as I was running cooler out of the box. I'll play around with it some more and report back, only got the PS through Amazon yesterday.

I have no doubt that you'll be able to hit 1200mhz out of the box because the 750m runs a higher stock voltage. I've had this thing since the beginning of December and it's been a love/hate relationship. Overall, still love the piece of but again, wish the execution was even half as good as the concept. Can't wait to get my new msata ssd in the mail, this harddrive is painfully slow.

2. octiceps

octiceps Nimrod

Reputations:
    Actually the specs of my replacement are in my sig. It's still the same 650M model but with the 16GB SSD cache. This and the cheapest model with the 750M and no other upgrades were the only configurations on the Lenovo website that ship out without a 3-week delay. And I can just use my current 650M Ultrabay instead of waiting an indefinite period of time for the 750M Ultrabay to become available, since people have confirmed that the one advertised on the Lenovo website as 750M is actually still 650M.

I was asking about the long-term stability of your overclock because from what I have seen 3DMark 11 Basic Edition doesn't push the GPU as much as recent games or Unigine Heaven, so I could get away with a higher overclock that would crash elsewhere. Unigine Heaven maxed out at 1080p is just about as good a GPU test as you'll find anywhere. If you can loop it for 24 hours without locking up, then your overclock is 100% stable. I was at 1125/2250 before and it was completely stable even in the most demanding games, but it failed Heaven in the 20th hour. So I reduced the core by 5 MHz and that made it perfect.

I'm completely in agreement with you on that last statement. It's a laptop that looks great on paper but not in actual use.

3. GamingFD

GamingFD Newbie

Reputations:
    Hmm...my GPU tends to be around 48-50 on stock...it seems a little high and maxed out at 72C when I ran furmark test at 925/2250...seems a little high for temps, I even have a cooler, or am I okay?

I haven't installed any modded BIOS either just stock everything and ran a script to get that OC. But I see people with much higher OC and lower temps.

Should I disable the cpu turbo boost?

4. n1smo

Reputations:
    I may try some other stability tests later on but I am quite happy with how the laptop is performing so far. I really don't have the urge to run a stress test for 24 hrs because that would dig into my gaming time and seems like excessive stress on components. For me, I gauge the max overclock based on the 15min 1080p Furmark stress test because I can see where the temperatures are at after the test and determine where the max clock is based on my comfort level. Speaking of which, I have not ran Furmark since flashing to the overvolt bios.

5. n1smo

Reputations:
    No, 72C in Furmark at your overclock is exactly where you need to be. Here's the closest from me for comparison. When you say 48-50 stock, do you mean your idle temp or are you talking about in Furmark?

[​IMG]

6. octiceps

octiceps Nimrod

Reputations:
    You should use Unigine Heaven. Max out the settings at 1080p and let it loop for a while. Guaranteed to crash an overclock that is even slightly too high, something which FurMark cannot claim to do. SLI doesn't work in FurMark, even if you run it in fullscreen and change SLI rendering mode to AFR 2. I've stopped using FurMark and similar tests for reasons I explain below.

After my experience overclocking the Y500, I have zero faith left in the fur donut rendering benchmarks like FurMark, MSI Kombustor, and OCCT as far as determining overclocking stability. They're completely sythetic tests that just do a bunch of repetitive calculations designed to generate maximum heat. They tell you absolutely nothing about how stable an overclock will be in actual games because they're not based on real-time 3D game engines. I stopped using FurMark for overclocking since a few years ago because I found that I could go super high in FurMark but crash instantly when firing up a game. I tried OCCT this time around because it seemed like it would be more accurate since it is Direct3D not OpenGL and SLI works properly, but it's the same thing. I was up to 1200 MHz on the core and still going strong in OCCT, but it felt fishy so I fired up Heaven and BAM instant crash. I eventually had to reduce it all the way down to 1120 MHz before it was really stable so that should tell you about the misinformation OCCT was feeding me.

Plus, if you are overclocking VRAM you need something that will run a benchmark preset and generate a score at the end. GDDR5 is crash-resistant and the only way to know you've gone over the limit is if your score goes down since GDDR5 pretty much will not crash or artifact.

Anyway, Heaven is great because it is DirectX 11 and extremely demanding when cranked up plus has a scored test. It will heat up the GPU just as much as FurMark, if not more, and is more accurate for stability testing. It's become my one GPU test of choice.

7. n1smo

Reputations:
    Ok, installed Heaven. So, when you say run it with settings maxed out, do you mean run it in the Extreme preset? How long am I supposed to run this thing for it to be stable by your book?

8. octiceps

octiceps Nimrod

Reputations:
    No use the Custom preset and turn everything up as high as it goes as such:

Unigine.jpg

Extreme only runs at 1600x900 in a window.

I'd say at let it loop for at least an hour. If your overclock can survive that it should be stable in games. I like to do 24-hour runs to fine tune the core down to the last 5 or 10 MHz of stability but that's just me.

9. n1smo

Reputations:
    Yup, just finished with the hour loop and ended with the benchmark to end the test.

[​IMG]

Of note: The ultrabay gpu got hot as hell, but settled at 97C. The internal gpu stayed cool and topped off at 77C. Kind of make me want to find a better way to cool the ultrabay, hopefully the temps will drop once my CM Notepal U2 arrives. As usual, did the test with the laptop sitting flush on the desk. Outside temperature was 75F according to the Weather Metro App.

In other news, ran at 1225/2600mhz yesterday and benched 3DMark11.
    [​IMG]

10. octiceps

octiceps Nimrod

Reputations:
    Wow. Your VRAM is overclocked WAY past its limit. If it were stable you would not be getting such a low score, especiallly with the core so high. That's actually lower than what 650M SLI gets on stock clocks. This is what I get in Heaven on the exact same settings at 1120/2250:

Heaven Results.PNG

This is exactly what I was referring to when I said you need to use a scored benchmark when overclocking VRAM. As soon as your score drops, that's when you know you've reached your limit. GDDR5 does not crash or artifact if pushed too far. What happens is error checking kicks in and it resends the data that failed the first time due to instability, which causes your score to drop. I see so many 650M SLI owners running their VRAM at 2500 MHz or higher and I really have to question whether they're aware that they're most likely reducing performance across the board without even knowing it.

The reason this didn't stick out like a sore thumb in 3DMark 11 is that memory clock and bandwidth increases/decreases seem to have very little effect on the score. The Performance preset at 720p with no AA is just not long or demanding enough to highlight a problem like this. Just another reason I stick with Unigine Heaven.

Now that you're aware of this, it's a good time to revisit that VRAM overclock. You've been inadvertently lowering your performance even below stock clocks but I guess you didn't notice it when gaming.

That Ultrabay GPU temperature sounds pretty alarming as well. Maybe it's time to blow out the dust or repaste. I know you are overvolting to 1.1V but the difference shouldn't be that huge. At stock voltage and 1125/2250 my Ultrabay doesn't exceed 80C on the hottest days here in California.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.