Y500 GT650M Overclock

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by n1smo, Dec 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. octiceps

octiceps Nimrod

Reputations:
    I like to squeeze every last ounce of performance out of this thing, especially in games where I don't want a CPU-bottleneck to slow down the performance of my SLI setup. OCCT PSU Test and FurMark+Prime95 are unrealistic test scenarios and the CPU never gets that hot in real gameplay or benchmarks so I let it run as fast as possible.

2. klebs89

klebs89 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    If you don't mind testing, what temps do you get with your OC and Throttlestop enabled during a 3DMark 11 run?

3. octiceps

octiceps Nimrod

Reputations:
    I won't have time for the next few days because I'm in the middle of a clean install and I haven't had a chance to OC the GPU yet. But the last time I ran 3DMark 11 with GPU's at stock and ThrottleStop on the CPU went as high as 90 C on one core and and both GPU's were below 70 C. This was using a notebook cooler but I don't think it makes a difference either way because the cooler barely seems to help.

4. klebs89

Reputations:
    The reason I ask is I get unacceptably high temperatures with Throttlestop enabled(>100C max) and the cards OC'd, but I think that might occur as a result of the CPU test, which like Prime95 or OCCT isn't a realistic usage scenario. I might look into that tonight.

5. octiceps

octiceps Nimrod

Reputations:
    You get "unacceptably high temperatures" in 3DMark 11 or in CPU burn tests? What's your interpretation of "unacceptably high temperatures?" I get as high as 90 C in 3DMark 11 with ThrottleStop forcing the Turbo multiplier.

Yeah Prime95 and Linpack are unrealistic CPU usage scenarios and I can make my CPU thermal shutdown easily with those tests.

6. klebs89

Reputations:
    Unacceptably high with either 3dMark or Prime95 (hottest core maxed out at 103). I was hypothesizing that the 3DMark 11 CPU test is responsible, since it is unrealistic for the same reason as Prime95/OCCT. I only have the basic edition, but I might just quit before the CPU test to see what my temps are on the graphics tests only. Throttlestop temperature is acceptable when I'm just gaming, but the tiny performance increase isn't worth the significantly higher temperatures.

7. octiceps

octiceps Nimrod

Reputations:
    That's weird, sounds like something isn't right at your end. For me, the 3DMark 11 CPU test runs way cooler than the CPU burn tests, regardless of ThrottleStop. The 3DMark 11 Physics test is definitely not as demanding as Prime95 and Linpack. Those last two cause my CPU to run at 50 W for a while before the CPU throttles itself to ~3.0 GHz to maintain 45 W since Ivy Bridge can only exceed TDP for a certain amount of time. In 3DMark 11 the CPU is always at 3.2 GHz in the Physics portion and power consumption is never over 45 W.

8. klebs89

Reputations:
    I'm not in front of my computer right now, so I may be confusing my recollection of the max temperatures. Otherwise, what may be occurring is a combination of two factors. Your temperatures were run with a cooler (which would get progressively more effective as temperatures increased above ambient, meaning you could see very little effect for <90C and a noticeable effect above it, keeping your temps at around 90), and your run was on stock clocks without forcing p-states, which means you had more thermal overhead since your cards weren't working at peak clocks/volts during the CPU test.

I might run it at stock clocks/performance states with Throttlestop on and see what happens.

9. octiceps

octiceps Nimrod

Reputations:
    Nah it wasn't the cooler. Like I said it didn't lower temperatures for me much at all. Maybe 1-2 C but that could have been a placebo affect. My CPU stayed around 90 C regardless.

It might've been caused by your GPU overclock, especially a high OC on the main GPU since that shares the same fan and copper heatpipe as the CPU. You should test with everything at stock. I haven't OC'ed my GPU yet so that's why I might not have experienced that yet.

10. klebs89

Reputations:
    It's the higher GPU clocks.

With stock clocks/performance states and Throttlestop enabled I get a score of P3620 and a physics score of 7563. Max CPU temp is 96 (which I expect to be higher than yours since my current airflow environment around the laptop isn't the greatest), and not in the 100's as when both Throttlestop and GPU OC is enabled.

In any case, I have no intention of using Throttlestop considering I get >4500 with the GPU OC with CPU temps staying below 80. Any real-life usage that is CPU limited will likely have the processor turbo-ing anyway since the GPU won't be near full load.

Interestingly enough, once OC'd past a certain point, the main GPU stays cooler than the Ultrabay one, despite having to share its thermal dissipation potential with the CPU.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.