Y500 GT650M Overclock

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by n1smo, Dec 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. n1smo

n1smo Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I just got my Y500 a few days ago and have been messing around with it. So I read Mobius 1's Kepler overclocking guide and thought, what the heck, let's see what she can do. I raised it to 997mhz the first round and scored P2764 in 3dmark 11, temperatures looked fine at just under 60c, CPU was still running at close to full boost at ~3190mhz so I upped the frequency to 1100mhz and got this:

[​IMG]

I have not tried any kind of burn in tests to see how stable everything is but from looking at the temps, I can clock higher still so I'll play around with it some more and report back. But overall, the GT650M is very overclockable. The stock frequency maxed out at 790mhz while running 3dmark 11 even though the overboost was supposed to be at 835mhz. Very easy to do, the computer was completely quiet even though the room was a toasty 75 degrees F. Here's the link to Mobius 1's guide: http://forum.notebookreview.com/gam...guide-workaround-max-clocks-oc-stability.html

I ran the test again this morning at 1100mhz and scored a little higher just from the cpu running a little cooler (room temp 60 degrees):

[​IMG]

2. n1smo

Reputations:
    Small update: The GT650M will run the benchmark all day long at 1200/2500 but will crash back out to the desktop in demo mode. I suspect this is a voltage issue because the temps look great, ~70 max for cpu and ~60 max for gpu. Right now I've settled on 1100/2500 but will probably inch up the core freq to find the exact stable limit for the core. Once I figure out how to mess with the vBios, I'll raise the voltage and try again.

[​IMG]

Here's a picture of the system, it's sitting on a cool pad but the fan is on low and it's only real purpose is to keep the laptop from suffocating itself on the soft leather surface.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. FMruss

FMruss Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Great work on this! We should see 5k in sli.

4. anticommon

anticommon Newbie

Reputations:
    Okay, maybe it is just me, but every time I setup a value for nvidia inspector I it gets 'locked' into that value, and doesn't change unless I use a different value for an underclocked state. This is all fine, however, if I restart/turn off/ close the laptop it then goes to 135/405 and stays there. Not even using my nvidia inspector .bat works to restore the overclocked state.

Here is what I'm using for my overclocked .bat
    And my underclocked .bat
    here is a screen of my y500 after the clock speeds/memory speed has been 'locked' (also, using latest driver) Not to mention, trying to put the clocks on 1110/2900 and applying them from nvidia inspector simply puts the slider back down to 405/800.

pstate.jpg

5. n1smo

Reputations:
    I think your issue is that you are trying to force the wrong pstate...

Try this:
    nvidiaInspector.exe -setGpuClock:0,2,1155 -setMemoryClock:0,2,2555 -forcepstate:0,0

To reset,
    nvidiaInspector.exe -setGpuClock:0,2,790 -setMemoryClock:0,2,2000 -forcepstate:0,16

I have the two bat files sitting on my desktop so it's as simple as a double click to overclock or to go back to stock after I'm done playing games. Been playing F1 2010 for two days running at 1155/2555 with no issues. Not a single artifact and on ultra setting at 1080p.
    [​IMG]

6. anticommon

anticommon Newbie

Reputations:
    Just made a few .bat's with the settings you suggested, but now it would seem as though my problem is that my clocks are stuck at 135/405 permanently, even after a driver flush and reinstall.

7. n1smo

Reputations:
    Here's the exact .bat files I created. My nvidiainspector folder is on the root of the c drive, so you might need to change the directory settings as necessary but I think we placed the folder in the same spot.

So the .bat files are sitting in the nvidiainspector folder and then the shortcuts are on my desktop so I just double click to set either one.
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/39554547/Force P2 (custom).bat
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/39554547/Force P2 (default).bat
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/39554547/Force P5 (Custom).lnk
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/39554547/Force P16 (default).lnk

Give that a shot, hope it works!

Edit: Here's where I put the shortcuts and I have nvidiainspector sensor monitor running on the side as eye candy.
    [​IMG]

8. anticommon

anticommon Newbie

Reputations:
    Okay, I just got some free time so I'm going to give this a shot. Worst case scenario I'll try the win8 'refresh' to bring the OS back to stock. If that doesn't work, then when my SSD comes in I'll do a fresh install of win8. If that also doesn't work then looks like RMA time, which would be very unfortunate considering I really need my laptop.

Update: it worked! The force P2 (custom and default) files worked perfectly, the other two however I could not simply double click and run. Regardless, the other two files seem to work just fine and I adjusted them to first the OC's that my laptop is capable of. Thanks so much!

9. n1smo

Reputations:
    Awesome, glad it worked for you. The other two (.lnk) are just shortcuts, you can just recreate them and put them on your desktop. I used the icon from the app itself so it looks better than the standard .bat icon.

10. Robinnn

Robinnn Newbie

Reputations:
    @n1smo: Hi. Can you please post here some info about notebook temperatures ? (idle, max performance ...) HWInfo will be great. And can you pls post some more photos ? Ill be very greatfull to you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.