Y50 UHD screen calibration thread

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by Derek712, Jul 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Derek712

Derek712 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I'm starting this thread to attempt to fix the yellows on the Y50 UHD screen. To many people, the yellows are a little more mustard color than other screens. I'm going to spend the next couple days trying to fix the problem with a combination of adjusting the Intel graphics color settings and calibrating the display with a Spyder4Pro. Unfortunately there's not going to be any way to trace my steps since a lot of what I'm doing is trial and error. You should be able to install my color profiles and copy my Intel graphics settings to get results similar to mine. I highlight similar because YMMV since not all screens are the same.

I would appreciate it if some of you would test these profiles and give me feedback. Not just "I hate it". I'm looking for if the whites look too (red/blue/green/etc), if you saw any improvement in your yellows and if any other colors look off. I'll keep the OP updated with all attempts and will try to update once every day or two until we get something that's as good as it gets.

To install the color profile, you need to go into color management and add the profile manually. There are plenty of online resources on how to do this if you run into trouble. http://www.lightroomforums.net/show...an-sRGB-ICC-Profile-to-your-monitor-(Windows) After that, you may need to restart for the profile to take effect. Then you'll need to open Intel Graphics Properties, click on Display, then click the Color tab. Once you enter the appropriate values, hit apply and save your profile.

Yellow correction attempt #1:

-Use attached icm file here: View attachment Y50 Yellow test 1.zip
    -In Intel Color tab set:
    Red
    Brightness -5
    Cotrast 48
    Gamma 1.0

Green
    Brightness 0
    Contrast 50
    Gamma 1.1

Blue
    Brightness 0
    Contrast 50
    Gamma 1.1

Advanced
    Hue 0
    Saturation 15

Yellow correction attempt #2(more saturated): View attachment Y50 Yellow test 2.zip

-Use attached icm file here:
    -In Intel Color tab set:
    Red
    Brightness -5
    Cotrast 50
    Gamma 0.8

Green
    Brightness 0
    Contrast 50
    Gamma 1.0

Blue
    Brightness 0
    Contrast 50
    Gamma 1.0

Advanced
    Hue 0
    Saturation 40(although anything between 20-60 looks good)

EDIT: These settings fix the gamma issue and look fantastic with the 2nd attempt icc: http://forum.notebookreview.com/ide...-screen-calibration-thread-2.html#post9732597

Please share what you think.

2. baii

baii Sone

Reputations:
    I always thought gpu color control and color profile can't exist (in use) at the same time.

3. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I tried out your color profile. It's pretty good. Honestly, the biggest difference is made by turning the brightness up/down. With the brightness on about 50%, the yellows look awful, but boost them up to 75% and they become acceptable.

Here are some pics I took showing my previous settings at 50% brightness and 75% brightness, then your settings at 75% brightness. Top screen is my external and is the same through all pics.

My original settings Red: B 20, C 51, G 1.0; Green: B 20, C 51, G 1.0; Blue: B 20, C 51, G 1.0; Advanced: H 0, S 0 (Screen Brightness 50%)
    [​IMG]

My original settings Red: B 20, C 51, G 1.0; Green: B 20, C 51, G 1.0; Blue: B 20, C 51, G 1.0; Advanced: H 0, S 0 (Screen Brightness 75%)
    [​IMG]

Xentar's settings Red: B -5, C 48, G 1.0; Green: B 0, C 50, G 1.1; Blue: B 0, C 50, G 1.1; Advanced: H 0, S 15 (Screen Brightness 75%)
    [​IMG]

4. takinthehighroad

takinthehighroad Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have noticed that the screen applies a different gamma or color profile when you adjust brightness from around 40% to 50%. You can look at a smiley or the windows explorer shortcut and notice a distinct difference just going back and forth with the brightness setting.

Right now I am using Xentars ICM , all intel settings default except saturation at 40. I also always keep the brightness above that color changing threshold and it's tolerable. Newegg's site still makes me cringe though.

5. tostoo

tostoo Guest

Reputations:
    Thats what I noticed too. Is there anyone to stop the screen from auto adjusting the gamma when you lower brightness?

6. hockeyfox

hockeyfox Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    When I apply, it appears too be a bit too red. Anyone else notice the same.

7. Derek712

Reputations:
    Did you turn down the red brightness? If so, you might need to do it some more. I intentionally calibrated the icm with extra red since it seemed to help the yellow look a little better. Going to try more again tomorrow.

8. Derek712

Reputations:
    Updated the OP with a different profile. This one fixes the reds a little(I hope) and also has adjustments for saturation. I'm finding extremely large differences in results at different brightness levels. This is a really strange screen. Sometimes I think things look good and then I walk into a different room at a different time of day and it looks different again. We'll see how this profile does in the morning.

polarimetric likes this.
  9. polarimetric

polarimetric Newbie

Reputations:
    Yeah, I keep experiencing the same thing--I've been using your first attempt color profile since yesterday and fiddling with the Intel settings. Every time I got to something I thought I liked, I ended up having to change it again ten minutes later because the improvement was gone. I ended up just settling with your settings with gamma on blue and green kicked back to 1.0 because whites were shifted a bit blue with the gamma increased.

I just applied your 2nd attempt though and I'm really liking the results so far. Gold seems to pop a little more and yellow is staying yellow a little better at lower brightness levels. Thanks!

10. hockeyfox

hockeyfox Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I hear ya. I get to something I think I like, then after further review....... You 2nd attempt is much better, no red washout. Thanks for the update.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.