Y50 Thread

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by Jobine, Jan 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kingfirejet

kingfirejet Notebook Consultant

Reputations:

Permission to use pictures for my video review I plan to do next Saturday/Sunday?

YouTube: Kingfirejet's Anime and Gaming Channel

2. pulse123

pulse123 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I'm not a huge current-gen gamer, so I don't have any of the newest games to test on. I performed some stress tests to check the temperature and noise level. The ambient temperature was around 74*F (23*C). The laptop was sitting on top of a wooden desk with no external cooling devices used.

Left4Dead2 at maximum settings:
    GPU: <66*C
    CPU: <74*C
    Yes, the 860m overclocks to ~1100Mhz when needed. (I did not overclock the GPU, this was done automatically by the card when under load).
    [​IMG]

Temperature/Noise/Speakers: (Click spoiler "show" button)
    CPU only stress test (Prime95):
    CPU: <76*C
    [​IMG]

GPU only stress test (FurMark):
    GPU: <74*C
    [​IMG]

Maximum stress test (Both Prime95 + FurMark):
    CPU: <98*C
    GPU: <86*C
    Yes, the CPU did throttle when it got near 100*C - I've noted that in the image. Please also keep in mind this was a maximum stress test, mostly to force the fan to spin at 100%. This is the kind of scenario I don't ever see myself running into under normal usage. I'm not certain I'll encounter a game that'll do this to my laptop (if I do, it's time for a new computer frankly). I think the Left4Dead2 test above was more realistic representation of everyday use temperatures. Try running both Prime95 and FurMark on your laptop and see how it handles the heat.
    [​IMG]

Area of heat (un-scientifically done because I have no proper testing tools to measure temperature):
    The palm rest area remained cool throughout the entire test phase. The area under the ASWD keys got a bit toasty, but still usable. The power brick got a little bit warm, but that was it.
    [​IMG]

When idle the laptop is silent. The fan may be running slowly or not at all, either way I couldn't hear it when idle. When under normal usage (IE Left4Dead2), it became somewhat audible, but only just, and it wasn't at all annoying. When under maximum load the laptop did become noticeable, but was still surprisingly quiet. Previous to the Y50 I owned a MSI GS60 Ghost 007 (Newegg exclusive); I no longer have that laptop due to a defective touchpad. The following is my observation of the two:
    Idle: Y50 [silent] | GS60 [audible]
    Load: Y50 [bit audible] | GS60 [loud]
    Heavy Load: Y50 [audible] | GS60 [louder still]
    I think it's telling that people are constantly talking about modifying the BIOS to deal with the noise in the GS60 forums. I'm genuinely impressed by the quietness of the Y50. I think it passes the "gaming in the library" test.

The Y50's JBL speakers are excellent. It rivals the JBL speaks on my old Dell L702X laptop, which was known to have high quality [laptop] speakers.

3. hadl5184

hadl5184 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'm new to gaming laptops can someone give me some insight to what good temps are?

4. heibk201

heibk201 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    rm temp? what about the furmark+aida64?

5. Proteen

Proteen Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Glad to see more people receiving their laptop.

Has anyone that ordered a 4710HQ version had theirs ship yet?

6. heibk201

heibk201 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    so the OC is from NVidia boost and lenovo didn't lock the clock speed right?

can we also have some pics of the internal parts? :rolleyes:

xenth likes this.
  7. shahmeer

shahmeer Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Oh my god Oh my god Oh my god Oh my god Oh my god Oh my god Oh my god Oh my god Oh my god Oh my god Oh my god Oh my god Oh my god Oh my god Oh my god Oh my god Oh my god Oh my god Oh my god Oh my god Oh my god Oh my god Oh my god Oh my god Oh my god Oh my god Oh my god Oh my god Oh my god Oh my god.

I feel like squealing like a little girl! The signs are def looking good for this laptop, now all we need is a video tour.

itzleo94 and fantasticzig like this.
  8. pulse123

pulse123 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    It's just the base model without modifications, I don't plan on doing any overclocking. As you can see from the GPUZ window, the 860m automatically overclocks to 1100Mhz when under load, so no it's not locked.

heibk201 likes this.
  9. hjanos

hjanos Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thank you, pulse123 for testing the temperatures for us, it looks very promising. How much time did the CPU load test take to finish?

10. pulse123

pulse123 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    ~30-45 minutes. Those images were taken after temperatures stabilized/plateaued.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.