Y50 Thread

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by Jobine, Jan 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Earlcooo

Earlcooo Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    or Female Gamers or Gamers who have the $$ to pay for something that wouldn't do anything less for them?

2. ChowMeow

ChowMeow Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    lolwut?
    10chars

yoface373 likes this.
  3. Earlcooo

Earlcooo Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    huhhh?? .

4. Travoli

Travoli Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
  5. Numnumz

Numnumz Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Anyone have any idea about how long it normally takes for reviews to start coming out?

6. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The model that's currently $1,349 is actually more of the base model. It just doesn't have the normal discount applied yet. I'm sure that once Lenovo gets this thing completely rolled out, there will be a base model with no touch, only 8 GB of RAM, etc. and it will probably be around $1,200-1,250 before discount, which could make it in the $1,000-1,100 range after the discount.

No. This model is only being offered with the 860m.

When someone posted a link a few days back to that Hungarian site that appeared to have a full review of an i5 version of the Y50, I had assumed that Lenovo had sent the laptops out for review and the reviews were simply embargoed until a certain date, and the Hungarian one had somehow leaked out early. I suppose that's still possible, but when I first thought it, I figured the Hungarian one was just a day or two early. But now that it's been over a week and nothing else has come out, I'm not sure what to think of that review.

7. Oranjoose

Oranjoose Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks for finding these, they reveal a bit more of the mystery. By the way, there's also a User Guide available.

So, a couple things. Here's a screenshot from the hardware guide:

y50LCDparts.PNG

Something you can glean from this is that there are only two panels, the FHD and UHD. This means that if the FHD are TN, then there's not much hope for an unrevealed IPS FHD unit.

Someone with really nice google-fu might be able to take those FRU numbers and confirm if the FHD or UHD are TN or IPS. For copy-pasta, the FHD is 5D10F78784 and the UHD is 5D10F78838. Checking the FRU on other 15.6" LCD modules might be a good start.

The hardware guide also gives a really granular guide about how to access really deep-down parts (way better than hardware manuals I'm used to). It even shows how to get to the LCD module and the touch layer too. What's interesting about that is that perhaps you could buy the touch layer separately and install it yourself. This of course is helpful for those who want the 4GB graphics chip, assuming Lenovo doesn't give you the option to have a touch FHD 4GB model (which they currently do not list).

Anything else people can surmise from these manuals?

EDIT: scratch that, another important table (pictured below) from the manual pretty much abrogates what I was saying above.

y50LCDparts2.PNG

Once again, for copy-pasta:

AUO B156HTN03.6 FHD AG S LED1 NB LCD: FRU number: 18201583
    CMI N156HGE-EAB FHD AG S LED1 NB LCD: Fru number: 18201584
    BOE HB156FH1-401 FHD AG S LED1 NB LCD: Fru number: 18201585
    SDC LTN156FL02-L01 UHD G S LED1 NB LCD: Fru number: 18201586

There's a suspicious LTN156 in the UHD part name.

EDIT 2: Doesn't seem there's any listing on AUO's web site for the B156HTN03.6 yet:
    http://auo.com/?sn=149&lang=en-US&c=34

EDIT 3: Have to leave, but I found something interesting.
    The AUO FHD in the Z510 is B156HTN03.4 and the AUO FHD in the Y50 is the B156HTN03.6, the only discrepancy being the 3.4 vs the 3.6, which I presume to be a slight bump in the firmware.

So if you want to now go to different reviews of the Z510 for quality of panel, then that might give you a pretty good idea of what to expect on the Y50's FHD display unit.

heibk201 and gh0st2311 like this.
  8. Banender

Banender Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    wow way to go tech savvy ppl :)

9. Banender

Banender Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    if this is final info then yes maybe there are only 2 kinds

10. stisa

stisa Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    So, according to this http://download.lenovo.com/consumer/mobiles_pub/lenovo_y40_50_series_hmm.pdf (at around page 26) the AMD gpu core is a Venus XTX which for wikipedia here is a Radeon HD 8890, although I can't find it anywhere else.
    Also, for those wondering, on page 39 you can see the Y40 has dual fan cooling similar to the Y50.

On page 93, there's a list of LCD panels ( at least I think they're LCD panels). The only 2 I've found something about on google are the AUO B140HTN01.4 for the 14" and the AUO B156HTN03.6 for the 15". All the panels have AG and FHD written next to them so I assume they're anti-glare and Full-HD, except for this one SDC LTN156FL02-L01 which has G and UHD so I think it's the 4k panel and I think it's glossy.

Last one: page 95, table 7, it lists some parts for a UHD touchscreen

edit: a list of cpus, taken from page 89-90, table 4, No.4, all Intels I think:
    y40 -> i5-4200 i7-4500 i5-4210 i7-4510
    y50 -> i7-4200 i7-4702 i7-4700

gh0st2311 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.