Y410p Ultrabay SLI

Discussion in 'IdeaPad & Essential' started by AGoff, Jul 27, 2013.

1. AGoff

AGoff Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Contacted Lenovo, they didn't seem to have any clue about the ultra bay 750m. The first person I spoke with didn't even know what SLI was, and was trying to tell me that the Y510p SLI model had the same video card as my Y410p. I had to explain to them that it in fact had 2 750m video cards. I have seen on NBR that the SLI ultrabay will be released in August, but I have also seen that it is not coming out at all. Does anyone have any solid information about it? If it is infact not coming out, I may try to buy a Y510p version and mod it for the Y410p.

2. Jobine

Jobine Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Im with you on this one. I called Lenovo, they said sometime in August.

Also, i always thought the Y5's and Y4's shared the same ultrabay size, guess i was wrong :/

I am also aware that Y400 650M cards are availible.

3. PharmaGuy

PharmaGuy Newbie

Reputations:
    I'm looking into the Y410p as a potential business PC, with the option of playing games occasionally. Most business laptops are not suitable for playing a game, and most gaming laptops have features like lit-up eyes on the lid, multicolor led keyboards, etc. which make it awkward to use in business meetings. I thought the Y410p was 'business casual' enough and seems to have enough oompf to play a game once in a while. So, what's up with these ultrabays? Are they different between the 510p and 410p? I'd really like to be able to swap the CD drive for an extended battery, or an SLI video card... Did anyone solve this?

4. Jobine

Jobine Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Ill give Lenovo a call sometime this week. Also, if you turn the backlighting off, this laptop is not that flashy, it's basically a Black Z400. You can still tell however than it is not a Business laptop, but if your workplace can allow Z400's and Flashy MacBook pro's, they might allow the Y410p if you turn the backlighting off. I still do however recommend a business laptop for work, but that's just me.

For the ultrabays, the Y410P and Y400 use the same ultrabay size. Also, the Y500 and Y510p use the same ultrabay size, which is different than the one in the 14 inchers. There are 650M cards, only avalible with Y500/Y400, and there are 750M cards, that work with Y400/Y410P/Y510p/Y500.

However, the 750M bays for the Y400 and Y410p are not availible at this time, hopefull the Lenovo rep will give me a good release date.

5. androphene

androphene Newbie

Reputations:
    Here is my chat I just had 2 minutes ago with a rep concerning the release date:

Please wait while we connect with you with a Lenovo Chat Representative.
    You have been connected to ^Mohd.mubeen Mubeen.
    Thank you for contacting Lenovo Sales Chat. My name is Mubeen and my Rep ID is 2900713393. Happy to help you today.
    Hello Josh.
    Hi
    How are you today?
    good
    I purchased a Lenovo Y410P laptop from you a while back for its dual graphics capabilities. I've since done some research and there seems to be some confusion about whether an ultrabay graphics solution will ever be released for the Y410P. Can you tell me if and when the ultrabay 750m graphics will be released for the Y400 series
    According to the latest updates it should be available in the second week of sept.
    Great is there a price point?
    $229 will be the price.
    Thank you so much for clearing that up
    My pleasure.
    That's the only question I have today, thanks
    To ensure that we are always improving our service, you may receive a survey invitation at the end of the chat session to tell us what you think about our products and services. Your feedback will be highly appreciated.
    Thank you for contacting Lenovo Sales Chat. You have a good one..
    You too
    Thank you for contacting Lenovo. You may now close this window.

The question I asked was copied from someone else who stated the the rep they spoke with said there was no release whatsoever coming for it. So if the question looks familiar that is why.

6. baii

baii Sone

Reputations:
    Try again and you will get a different answer :p

7. AphoticAffinity

AphoticAffinity Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Ordered a 410p after looking around and seeing Jobine's posts. Hopefully we get a solid date soon about the ultrabay 750. I'll call them this week and double check.

8. Jobine

Jobine Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Only thing i fear is them possibly updating models to 755M bays and then only releasing the 755M bays. Fortunately, 755M's are just OC'd 750M's, so there *might* be some compatiblity.

However, seeing that the Lenovo rep mentioned the Second week of September gave me a little hope, because it is the 3rd time a rep told me that date.

Fingers crossed.

9. Colpolite

Colpolite Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I could care less about the SLI to be honest, I'd rather keep the single gddr5 gt 750m with optimus and optical drive w/o the complications of SLI micro stuttering etc... shorter battery life.

10. Jobine

Jobine Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I know, but sometimes, a single 750M doesnt always cut it, SLI 750M = ~770M, as for the battery life, just take out the extra 750M when you dont need it.